Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 420 that surges at anything other than wide open throttle, and my dealer has cleaned the carburetor, replaced fuel lines, and last year replaced the ignition coil behind the flywheel. The dealer says he can’t get a new carburetor. It’s running pretty good at wot but when you go downhill it will die and then maybe come back before it cuts off - sometimes it will backfire. The dealer says it probably a piece of trash floating around in the carburetor causing the problem. Does anyone have suggestions of what to try next - or know where to get a new carburetor? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendation - should be easy enough to remove the carburetor and get it cleaned with a sonic cleaner - and I’ll be sure to discuss the 3 holes you mentioned!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If you take off the 4 #2 Phillips screws you can remove the top of the carb. The emulsion tube has a series of tiny through holes 3-4 (I forget) and then rotate it 90 degrees and another series of the same. I clean them with a tiny torch tip cleaner. Then remove the button cap screw on the left and this will give you access to the main jet. Stick a regular screw driver in there and unscrew the jet. It will fall into the bowl of the carb. Clean this as well. After doing that it should run like new if everything else is in order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you take off the 4 #2 Phillips screws you can remove the top of the carb. The emulsion tube has a series of tiny through holes 3-4 (I forget) and then rotate it 90 degrees and another series of the same. I clean them with a tiny torch tip cleaner. Then remove the button cap screw on the left and this will give you access to the main jet. Stick a regular screw driver in there and unscrew the jet. It will fall into the bowl of the carb. Clean this as well. After doing that it should run like new if everything else is in order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I had the opportunity to remove the top of the carburetor as you suggested and I found a significant amount of trash under the float. I cleaned the trash out and also cleaned the orifices in the emulsion tube just as you suggested. Also removed the main jet and cleaned it as well. The mower runs great, and the cleaning procedure really wasn’t that difficult. I really appreciate your directions - they were spot on!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you dont have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, you can soak a dirty carb in straight PineSol overnight. Found that on motorcycle resto forums. Ive done it a couple times with great results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts