Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 420. After collecting, and dumping leaves in my garden, I was using the 420 to chop them up before I till them in with my 212 with a 33 tiller. Kinda a rough ride in the garden with all the leaves. The 420 was hopping around a bit when all of a sudden it died. I turned the PTO off and it started right up. After starting I noticed the battery light was on and when I turned the PTO on the engine died. It will start and run fine until I switch the PTO on then it dies. I've tested the transmission safety switch and seat safety switch both are good (doesn't have a brake safety switch). Also when I disconnect the PTO wires the battery light stays on and when I jumper the PTO to the battery I can hear the PTO click so I don't believe its the coil in the PTO. I've also replaced the PTO switch. I am leaning towards the TDCM being bad. Anyone know if there is a way to test it. I know its said they rarely go bad so hate to buy a new one and just start throwing parts at it but don't know what else it could be.
I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this thing out any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I think you mean model 31 tiller. 33 tiller is for closed frame hydrostatic drive tractors.

Many times the TCDM is falsely accused of being the cause of electrical issues. You need to make sure the gap on pto is set correct and there is no problem with the pto switch.

Reactions: jake_vc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right on the tiller it is a 31. Forgot to mention that in my original post the gap has been checked and is perfect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, as I said the switch is brand new and when I have the PTO wires disconnected the battery light is still on, so I'm pretty sure its not the PTO. One more thing I forgot to mention is, if I disconnect the connector with the purple and yellow wires from the PTO switch the engine dies.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Sorry, I did not read the full post. My mistake. Still, you need to take a multimeter to the electrical system see where the problem is instead of replacing parts.

I do not see where you have done anything with ignition switch. On closed frame tractors I have often fount the problem is melted connector attached to ignition switch.

I do not know how to test TCDM but I believe it is an ohm test.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Make sure your battery is fully charged. Just had the same problem with my 322 while mowing. Turned the PTO off to run down the road and then it would not turn back on. Returned to the barn and put it on a charger for a while, now everything is fine. Battery light was coming on intermittently.

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
[QUOTE After starting I noticed the battery light was on and when I turned the PTO on the engine died. It will start and run fine until I switch the PTO on then it dies. ] [/QUOTE]

I would have the battery tested at an auto parts, they usually do it for free.i've had batteries that showed 12 volts on a meter but wouldn't light a light bulb. Sounds like yours has enough to run the tractor but not the tractor and PTO. Also check the rectifier for corrosion and heat damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I checked the switch. Tractor ran fine until I messed with the wires at the switch now it hardly will run...........Battery is new........With the PTO disconnected the engine will die if the PTO switch is turned on. It seems like a short somewhere just cant find where.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Ignition switch connector (Packard p/n) should be available from your dealer. If not melted you can reuse the original.

Take a smaller screwdriver and slide it into the front of the adapter to release the catch on the female terminal and slide it out the rear of the adapter. Use a small wire brush to clean up the terminal. Clean all the terminals and reassemble. As I said earlier this has repaired many electrical issues for me. One of the first things I do to get a new purchase running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts