Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a new starter on my JD 420 and still having the same problems. It started right up at first but now the starter motor is spinning but the gear wont throw out. Was wondering if my battery is week and not giving it enough rpm's to throw the gear out? Any Ideas? I haven't yet tried a new battery. What size battery should I be using in the 420? Cranking amps? Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
1.Check flywheel teeth.
2.Make sure starter bolts tight , threads not stripped
3.Check block for cracks when starter bolts go to block

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response John. I installed a new starter and ring gear on the flywheel. I inspected the block and torqued the starter bolts and flywheel nut. Everything looks good. What is bad about this is this P-220 has less than 50 hours on a complete overhaul, runs like a new one, and is the prettiest original 420 I've ever seen...I'm going to try a new battery today and will let you know if it will kick out then. Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How’s that starter problem going? Anxious to hear what you found. I would love to see pics of your 420. Can’t get enough pics of the beautiful 420!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm stumped. Problem is the same. After installing new starter I have the same problem. Starter spins and starter gear will not throw out. Can't figure it out and don't really want to pull the engine again. I think I will sell cheap, as is. I'll get some more pictures on when the weather improves. I'm in Northern MI and we are getting pounded today! thanks for your interest and I'll get more pics on. Tim
How’s that starter problem going? Anxious to hear what you found. I would love to see pics of your 420. Can’t get enough pics of the beautiful 420!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Tim, Don't give up yet! The 420 had 2 different configurations of starters: Bendix and solenoid. Which do you have?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Tim, I'm thinking starter is not properly aligned with flywheel ring gear. Solenoid is strong enough to engage starter pinion, but spring (inside solenoid?) is not strong enough to retract pinion. There's clearance in the bolt holes in the starter, maybe (??) starter is a a slight angle or parallel but too close to center.

To me, the 420 is an excellent tractor and worth the effort to pull engine and "adjust" starter position. I can't explain why you had the problem in the first place though!

One last comment, I don't think battery is "in the equation." If starter doesn't turn engine, OK But a spring disengages starter pinion, not electrical power. Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I agree Bob. The starter does not seem to be properly aligned. When it did kick in it was loud and you can see that the new ring gear is nicked up some from the couple of times it did engage. Maybe OEM Onan starter would help? Not sure. Here is a couple of pics in the barn today. Very clean machine with a nice 60in deck.
IMG_1541.jpg IMG_1540.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts