Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
J, I talked to a friend today who made a shaft for his tiller. He bought the 15 spline 1” shaft with yoke, u joint, yoke, and 5/8 x 7/8 stock for slip joint. He got them new from a place in PA. He’s going to look it up and give me the info and I’ll pass it along. Even if you don’t want to make one and or find one it’s still good info to have. 👍🏻

·
Registered
128 Posts
The OEM male 6-spline PTO shaft w/clutch is hard to find and expensive @ $450.00 or more.

I purchased an OEM John Deere PTO Stub Shaft - p/n#M112354. (Most tractors have MALE PTO output shafts).

The stub shaft ran $100.00 and a complete PTO shaft w/clutch was $160.00 a year ago.

1). Install (slide) the 6-spline stub shaft into the 445's female PTO output.
2). Determine the appropriate length PTO shaft to prevent binding; raise your tractor off the ground enough, to allow your implement to travel the upper and lower extremes.
3). Determine what you need at both shaft ends (spline, square, plain end, keyed) to connect your tractor and implement.
4). Order a 36", 40" or whatever length shaft assembly will work for you.
5). Install the drive shaft halves and again lower and raise the implement to determine where to cut the driveshaft halves. Cutting the shafts can be done with a hacksaw at the least.
6). Assemble completely and again raise and lower the implement, spin the shaft and watch for binding, if any.

As I recall there are You-Tube videos on how to measure PTO shaft length requirements.

Michael

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
J, I talked to a friend today who made a shaft for his tiller. He bought the 15 spline 1” shaft with yoke, u joint, yoke, and 5/8 x 7/8 stock for slip joint. He got them new from a place in PA. He’s going to look it up and give me the info and I’ll pass it along. Even if you don’t want to make one and or find one it’s still good info to have. 👍🏻
Thats awesome, yes , knowledge is power. We are a welding fab shop so an make one for sure , just dont know where to get the parts. THANK YOU

21 - 27 of 27 Posts