Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the mower deck switch on my 1989 era 430 as the deck was shutting down randomly. When I went to start the tractor, the "dash board" lights did not come on. But the engine would start. With engine running and hood open, the engine would immediately die if I tried to put it in gear or start the mower deck. After a couple of hours (grrr) I was ready to give up and leave it in the driveway! I closed the engine cover (hood) and tried once more --- and all ran (lights, forward/reverse, mow on/off) perfectly!!! Is there any safety interlock associated with the hood? I'm well aware of seat interlock and don't think that's a problem (although it could be). Is there a parking brake interlock? I'm not aware of that. Fuses look OK, but not an expert. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would check into the the seat switch some more, and the later ones had a switch that the brake had to be down or set to start, and no there is no switch on the hood . Check your battery cables make sure they are clean and tight

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks --- I thought the "switch on the hood" was a long shot, although it was only difference I noted during my Mr. Fixit experience. Will try the seat switch -- can i wire around for test purposes?

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Jay,

Your 430 diesel engine has a fuel shut-off solenoid that will shut the engine down if the safety conditions are not met. ONE of those conditions is to have the operator in the seat, but there are others. When the tractor is in neutral and the parking brake is set, the safety circuit for the seat switch is bypasssed, but as soon as you move the ground speed lever out of neutral (and/or release the parking brake on later SN tractors above 596048...) the neutral start relay is de-energized and tat bypass is removed. Since your tractor was acting up when you moved the ground speed out of neutral AND you had no dash lights, I would suspect the 10 amp fuse or its fuse-holder (or of course the seat switch itself -- but that does not explain the lack of dash lights...unless its hot side was shorting to ground) Here is the wiring excerpt that applies to the fuel shutoff solenoid:

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the info and advice --- I'm now thinking the problem begins with the "no dash lights" when turning key. I did remove, inspect the reseat the fuses during my adventure with the pto switch. they appeared good, and seemed to seat easily (perhaps too easily?). Don't recall mention of parking brake interlock circuit in the manuals I have, so guessing it's not in play. Don't have access to theserial numbers at the moment; will gather them. Worry that it's an intermitent electrical problem and could fix itself as it appears to have done once. May be time for a pro. Again, thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts