Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a 47" snowblower on a 430 garden tractor. After several seconds of blowing snow, the auger and paddles lock up, and the front PTO makes a horrendous clattering sound while trying to turn the blower shaft (which is locked up tight). After I clear the snow from the blower and chute (and melt any ice), the blower spins properly when it's only moving air. As soon as the slightest amount of snow enters the blower, however, it immediately locks up again.

A few other notes:
  • The snow is light and fluffy, not sticky at all
  • I can often turn the auger and paddles by hand, but for some reason the PTO can't spin them
  • When no snow is present in the blower, it can spin up to full speed at full throttle without any problem
  • I tried disconnecting the blower shaft from the tractor PTO, and the PTO spins fine by itself, all the way up to full throttle without any problem

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I'm not familiar with a 430 or a 47" blower, but it sounds like a bearing problem to me. With no load, the bearings...which ever one(s) they are...stay centered in the race. When loaded with snow, they push to one side...away from the load. Any unusual noise when spinning unloaded? You should get a loudish "Whirrr" sound from the area of the bad bearing(s). Check for any up/down or sideways movement at each end of auger. If 2-stage, check 2nd stage impeller for movement also. Good luck and hope this helps, Bob

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I am like Bob, unfamiliar.
But is there a spline that could be stripped on the shaft drive?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bearing is very plausible. Wiggle all shafts at both ends to see if you get any movement.
Remove the shear bolt from behind the auger gearbox and then spin the tractor PTO up. That will eliminate any bearings / issues before the gearbox (the PTO shaft to the blower and the chain drive or gearbox if it has one instead of the chain drive). If that checks out ok, then you've only got six bearings it could be: one on each end of the auger and four in the gearbox.
Also, with the shear bolt installed, engage the PTO and then quickly rev the engine up. That may uncover if the issue is with the worm in the gearbox climbing up out of engagement and jamming. There's really not many parts in it so it should be quick to diagnose. Post a picture so we can see which one you have.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Do you have the old style heavy 47 or the newer Quick hitch type? The older type doesn't have a shear bolt between the auger gearbox and the impeller. If you happen to drag a rock large enough to jamb between the impeller and housing, it breaks things. First the shock breaks the 5/16" bolt that goes through the rear gearbox shaft and impeller "plate" yoke. Then it splits the yoke at the keyway. Also in this moment of shock the worm in the auger gearbox may get a chunk knocked out of it...
Look at the yoke in front of the impeller to see if it is missing the through bolt or if the body is cracked. ALSO drain both gearboxes and check the oil for steel and bronze chunks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the old style heavy 47. There does not seem to be any wiggle in the auger or 2nd stage impeller. I also didn't notice any "whir" noise coming from the bearings. The spline also seems to be in good shape. Here is a video of the blower in operation. Notice how the blower spins fine (full throttle), until it starts to eat snow, at which point it quickly clogs and locks up the PTO. Even when there are just 2-3 inches of snow, the same thing occurs.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Your pulley splines are stripped out. You will need to remove the extension shaft, loosen the idler adjustment all the way and remove the belts. Pull the snap ring in front of the pulley and slide it off. Unless you are lucky you will need to replace both the pulley M48661 ($200+) and pto shaft AM35538 ($400+) new. There are used ones on ebay that will run closer to $250 for the set.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
They pulleys can fail without damaging the shaft. Just inspect after disassembly and the check that the new one doesn't wobble.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Like Doug and KB said, sound like the splines are stripped out. Also, you have a newer generator 47" blower. The old refrigerator 47" is quite different.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Definitely your PTO pulley splines are stripped. I take mine apart every year and cover both the shaft and pulley with a good never seize to keep the splines from wearing. I have an old set that are not to bad. I will PM you pictures and details tomorrow if your interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely your PTO pulley splines are stripped. I take mine apart every year and cover both the shaft and pulley with a good never seize to keep the splines from wearing. I have an old set that are not to bad. I will PM you pictures and details tomorrow if your interested.
I would definitely be interested in learning more. How big of a job is the disassembly? Any tips on the procedure would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Upon disassembly, it appears my pulley is stripped, and not the PTO shaft itself. I will look a new pulley or used one in decent shape. Attached are images of the pulley and shaft.

IMG_3297.jpg IMG_3303.jpg IMG_3305.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
I haven't seen one that bad in a long time! glad your shaft is ok. Use lots of good never seize when you put it back together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It is amazing it even turned the blower at all with that much material worn off the ID the pulley. Any suggestions on a good never-seize grease? Looks like there are quite a few available on the market. I'm thinking of going with Never-Seez NS-160 Regular Grade Compound: http://a.co/5aV8KQn

·
Registered
259 Posts
There was a thread quite a while back that explained how to rebuild that pulley. So I know it can be done by a good machinist.
I am an amateur machinist. Trying to learn more. If you aren’t going to rebuild it, I would like to throw it in my project pile.

I would gladly pay shipping

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts