Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JD 430 Mower Belt. Hello all, I'm the second owner of a new to me 1991 JD 430 with 60" deck. I have been mowing 2-3 acres weekly since purchasing two months ago. Yesterday the mower belt came the rear spindle, I believe that is the idler wheel. I have two manuals, but not the deck manual. Would anyone know what I would need to remove to reroute the belt? Thank you in advance. This is a great forum.

· Registered
4 Posts
The belt shouldn't really come off. Maybe it's the wrong size or really stretched out.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to take anything off or at least on my 46 deck you don't. Just pull back on the idler pulley to give you some slack and work it back on. The idler pulley should have sufficient tension on it from the spring. It only goes on one way and pretty easy to figure out once you get your hands on it.

Congrats on your new machine! JD's are awesome.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, thanks for the quick reply. Ok... I used the wrong term, the belt is no longer routed through the spindle that the gearbox is over. It seems to me that I am not able to pass the belt over or under the spindle.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
Joni,
Are you sure the belt is not broken? I don't know how it could come off as you described if something like a shaft or belt isn't broken

Dom

· Registered
56 Posts
Have the same issue bought a new belt per the 60" manual to put the belt on you have to remove the gear box. I tried like you to slip it over the gear box pulley and couldn't. As much as I fought the belt I didn't want it to fail again so I purchased a new belt and will put it on before I fight the old one anymore.

· Premium Member
10,555 Posts
Joni,

JDParts.com is your friend for finding exploded views of assemblies, and PC1928 contains the diagrams for the 60 inch decks for the 430 -- it shows two serial number groups but I doubt the belt routing varies much...

Here is the diagram from the PC1928 for the later serial number range. Note that it shows the three spindle pulleys and the idler pulley but not the pulley that would hang down from the gearbox -- that would fit in the loop just to the left of call-out #4.

Hope this helps...

Chuck

· Registered
269 Posts
Joni, I had mine pop off on my 420 deck before, same deck as your 430. I was able to put the belt back on without taking anything apart but it was not quick the first time I did it. I eventually bought a new belt and I think I was able to put that one on without taking anything off as well.

Per Deck manual:
REPLACING DRIVE BELT
1. Remove both drive shields.
2. Disconnect idler spring at deck. See location. (A)
3. Remove gear box support shield, not shown.
4. Remove old belt.
5. Use belt routing shown to install new belt.
6. Install gear box support shield. Reconnect idler spring and deck belt shields.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Success! I can't thank you guys enough. I mowed the lawn and some pasture and it cut just as before. When the time comes to replace the belt, I'll be ready to tackle the job. I'm thinking of ordering a belt to have on hand. Thanks again!

· Premium Member
10,555 Posts
Joni,

Glad to hear you got it all sorted. It is a very good idea to have the spare belt on hand...even though the week has 7 days, belts only seem to break on Sunday or Saturday for some reason.

Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.