Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday that the muffler mount on my 430 is cracked. The muffler however is very tight, so I'm assuming that it's the front mounts that's holding it.
On the parts diagram, it looks like the piece is separate, but it seems like mine is welded to the motor mount on the block. It looks like to get the motor mount off, I'd have to lift the engine. Is that correct? Has anyone successfully welded this while it's on the tractor?
Automotive tire Metalworking Rim Automotive wheel system Bicycle part

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't have an answer to your questions but while you're addressing that crack, check the rear muffler mount. Mine was loose and flogged out the mounting surface on the rear timing case of the engine so I can't keep it tight. I picked up a replacement case that will get put on at some point. It's not a great mounting design unfortunately. An extra strap somewhere on the bottom of the muffler would probably help

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
To me it doesn't look like the muffler/bracket but another piece that shares the same mounting area on the engine. According to John Deere parts site, that piece is called a support and is P/N M153370.
You will most likely have to remove the muffler to get at it and remove it to weld it up and grind any excess so it fits correctly. I just had to do the last part (grinding for a smooth fit) on a repair job by someone else on the tabs on the muffler and a flat piece that connects the pipe to the exhaust manifold that was also a poor weld.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like that bracket that you made that bolts to the block. I looked more this evening and the front of the muffler isn't mounted to anything. What am I missing here?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable

·
Registered
992 Posts
That bracket you show is what is mounted to the timing gear cover on my mower. I can't remember if mine has slots or holes, but since on yours it's so far away from the cover, the whole muffler looks displaced towards the rear or maybe it's a replacement will-fit muffler that's longer than the original? (Edit - now that I look at the parts diagram Doug posted, it uses bushings to make up a gap, but yours seems to have a very large gap?)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it does seem that bushings may be used. I will try to get it measured today and see just how much of a gap there is. With that big of gap, a skinny bushing doesn't seem like a good support.
From looking at the other parts diagrams, the early tractors used a different gear case cover. The muffler is in excellent shape, so I'm assuming it's not original. I want to make sure it stays in excellent shape!

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
418 Posts
Yanmar/Deere should’ve put a bushing on the mounts coming off the block to the muffler. That’s why they always break. I had to go through a similar thing with my 430, but to a much worse degree. It was completely separated from the mounts. Instead of going back to the og muffler, I went with a smokestack. I don’t think yours is that far gone. Also, the muffler produces a lot of heat, which is literally right next to the oil pan. My 430 had a hole from the broken mount that was blowing right onto the pan, which I think is why I had an overheating problem. Make sure you get underneath the tractor and check to see if there are any hidden cracks around the mounting bolts. Good luck!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I may pull the muffler out so I can do some welding on the mount and check out everything good. Do you all know if I can do that without pulling the engine?

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
418 Posts
I remember it was a little tricky to get mine out, but with enough manipulation, it’ll get out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts