Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lee, atleast you like the right color of tractors now the 420 and 430 are pretty hard to beat it would be nice to have both I don't know why you don't already.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think the other tractor I'd like to have (if I could get it past the home CEO) is a 322. Nice water-cooled 3-cylinder gas - it'd be as smooth as silk.
Cheers,
Neil.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Neil,

Yes, the 322 is smooth, and noticeably quieter than the other tractors in this series... I have two of them!

Chuck

·
Registered
751 Posts
Here are some pics as promised of the 430 with some detail around the turbocharger (plus one of the #543 540rpm front pto) and my good boy Matt who loves to ride : ). The last shot shows how the stock muffler is still in place. The second to last shows how much the pipework sticks up but doesn't reach the hood.

Cheers,
Neil.

(Message edited by dlnw98 on November 20, 2010)

·
Registered
751 Posts
The fourth picture shows a couple of things: just above the dashpot you can see the turbo exhaust outlet curving back under and heading down to connect to the original muffler inlet. You can also see the turbo oil drain heading down to the sump (looks like it's a continuation of the dashpot pipe and lying on top of the dipstick).
Cheers,
Neil.

(Message edited by dlnw98 on November 20, 2010)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Neil, looks good my 19 month old likes my 430 but likes riding on the old 120 better I'm pretty sure when I do this turbo I will follow your way of doing this thanks Cory.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Neil,

While it is too late to go back and edit your post with the pictures without line breaks between them.
ti could have been done at the time you made your post #223... There is an icon at the upper right,
in the same bar as the "posted on..." notation that looks like a notepad with a pencil across it, and if
you click on it within 30 minutes of posting, you can edit and add to a post. I use this feature all
the time as I find corrections need to be made in spelling, and often add an additional thought or two.

Note that I have used line breaks/returns in my text of this post in order to keep the text in the left
portion of the page -- even when the page is made wide by the cascaded photos of your post #222.

Chuck

·
Registered
751 Posts
Cory,
there's plenty of room under the 430's hood. It could also have been oriented across the front rather than on the left side as I have it. The biggest consideration was getting the exhaust outlet to route down to the muffler intake, maintaining adequate clearance from the various bits and pieces in that area. The other consideration was the oil drain - I elected to drain to the sump to minimize the chance of backup, which can blow out seals and cause further damage. I could have gone with a smaller tube. Mine was 3/4 but a 5/8 or 1/2 would have done it. The outlet diameter on the bearing housing is 1/2. That would have made it easier to route. I still may go that route the next time I disassemble it as there's a pinhole leak which leaves me with a small oil weep (and I definitely don't like oil leaks ; )
One other thing to watch for is that the sump is a pretty poor pressing - the die wasn't tuned up enough and the transition from the side of the sump to the flange is really thin. My old sump split there (which prompted the strip down that ended up in the turbocharging project : ) and the new one I bought was exactly the same. You need to be careful welding on them because they will warp. I ummed and ahhed for a long time before deciding to weld. I was originally going to just put a bulkhead fitting in but decided in the end that I didn't want it to be "able" to come loose. It might have been fine - maybe I'll do that with the original sump if I put a 1/2 tube into it. Food for thought...
Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Thanks Neil

It looks good.I see the oil drain looks like the old spot for the oil pressure sending unit.Did you tap in somewhere else for a feed?Or do I have that backwards.

AJ

·
Registered
751 Posts
AJ,
the oil feed is from the same tap that the oil pressure sender uses. I tee'd it and ran the other other line up to the turbo oil feed inlet. The oil drain is into a custom tube into the sump. It's 3/4 but I could have gotten away with 1/2.

Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I had to tap my oil sender threads into the block to 1/8" npt.

Be this setup is pretty quiet with the muffler. Mine is just the downpipe with a silencer cone I made up from perferated steel. Its got more back than stock, but still very managable.

Ever thought of putting a boost gauge on it?????

·
Registered
751 Posts
You know, I never did. I'm one of those guys that likes stuff to look stock. Back in NZ, I have a '69 Holden Monaro - the current model is badged as the Pontiac G8 here in the states. Anyway, I have a side project I want to start with that unit to fit in a Falconer V12 - same parts/specs as a small block Chev but 4 more cylinders. It'd almost look like it was supposed to be there. Mated up to a Powerglide of course : ) When you have 1200hp, who needs gears : ) Actually, seeing as I'm on that topic, I'm disappointed to see that Ford have stopped offering a manual transmission in the Superduty lineup. I got "talked" into buying the shop floor model when I got my 350 in '05 and I'm still rueing it - I wish I had the six-speed and not the auto - now you can't get them. My wife's due for another car (note I didn't say new...) and there are a couple of Audi S4 wagons around with the 4.2l engine and the six-speed manual - you can't get those new either anymore - grrrrr
Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I found the smallest pressure guage I could and mounted it on the steering column.

I too wanted my tractor to appear to be "stock" from the outside, hense the exhaust exiting in the stock location and everything fitting under the hood.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Neil, That is NICE. Bring it over to Indiana with that 543 on the frt and we can hook it to my dyno. I have been looking for a frt pto for the 330"t" to try and get some numbers on it.again nice. dw

·
Registered
751 Posts
Heh, as it happens I have my eye on a generator from Northern Tool. It would be more efficient to drive the head directly off the front 2000rpm pto but I want to run it through the 543 for kicks. I need to check out the bearing situation in the 543 to see if it's the kind of unit that can run for days with no problems - it looks "light" so I'm not sure. I would love to come over to IN for a trip but it's not in the budget (time and money) unfortunately. The closest I'll get is when I go to Columbus OH to close on selling the house (if it ever sells!!). What I'd be interested in is any impact on the torque curve. It won't develop any more than the 24hp (or whatever it is) because I haven't increased the fuel but it'd be great if the torque curve flattened out a bit - probably hasn't (but my mind imagines it has ; )
Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cory, check the trim spec between the two - that'll tell you if they're the same as far as flow characteristics go i.e. where they sit on the map. They can still vary in terms of extra flange pieces etc go for the specific OEM application. That said, you don't have to hit a specific spec if you don't feel the need. For example, mine is low and left on the map in my application but I'm ok with that - this was more of a hobby exercise as opposed to "needing" to meet a specific spec (my wife and I don't seem to agree often on the difference between "need" and "want" as far as lawn mowers go : )
Cheers,
Neil.
What's the ideal turbo for the 430 diesel yanmar? What do you mean when you say low and left on the map?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have an IHI RHF3 on mine which fits well.
What's the ideal turbo for the 430 diesel yanmar? What do you mean when you say low and left on the map?
I can't answer the first question but for the second, it's low on the pressure ratio (i.e. how much it compresses the intake air) and it's low on flow (cubic feet per minute of air that it's pumping). So it's likely not on the "ideal" efficiency island but it's just a toy so I'm not really concerned : ) I only installed it for grins, and given that I did not increase the fuel rate, it's not really doing much, but I do like that it's made the engine a little quieter and it gives it a bit more oomph (subjectively) than it used to have, mainly on torque/lugging. It will lug down to the torque peak with no smoke and it will hold there quite well, comparatively speaking. But really, only an A/B test on the dyno would tell for sure. Maybe one day when I really can't think of anything else to do : )

21 - 40 of 41 Posts