Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper way to remove and install the grille. In the service manual it says to lift hood and remove grille. With the hood lifted, the grill won't come out. With the hood down, it's such a tight fit that I'm scraping the paint off.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Been 3+ years since I pulled the grille off of my 430, but I remember that removing the side panels first made a difference. Proceed slowly and study the situation as you go...took me about an hour to get mine off, checking as I went with a flashlight...hood has to be closed if I remember right. It's an expensive part so don't force it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It takes about ten seconds - just pull it forward with the hood lifted just clear of, and sitting on the blocks that the hood latches "spring on" to. At least, that's how it works with mine. It's not the best design JD came up with, but it works

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The hood needs to be down when removing the front grille. It slags down also, so you need to lift the hood in front a little and pull the grille out carefully. The spring clips do break off due to age/flexing that go into the hole on the side panels.
The instruction is wrong (not well stated) in the manual look at the next page (43) and it is obvious from how the hood comes down over the front of the radiator with it opened. So that "lift hood" (on top of page 42) at front is to give clearance to pull the grille.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Slightly lifting the front of the hood is what I've been doing. Seems like that just puts a lot of stress on things on the front.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts