Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd posted a while back about some issues with my new 430. I've got the hydro linkage resolved - bad roll pin in the linkage.
The steering issue is still there. When I first start it up, the steering is fine. When it gets hot the steering gets weak. When at idle and hot, if you aren't moving, the steering pretty much won't work. Very little. You have to be moving some. It does alright when full throttle and moving. Not as good as it was when cold though.
This evening after mowing I tried moving all the hydro levers around. Nothing changed so I don't think it's one of those stuck. They all move very good. I can hold the steering and keep trying to turn and the steering wheel starts to slowly turn but the wheels don't turn. When I turn it to the left, there's a whine.
When I cut the tractor off, I could turn the steering wheel, with effort, and it would turn but not the wheels.

Steering box or steering ram?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Steering ram is unlikely as it would have to be binding inside. If it was badly leaking inside the steering wheel would turn fine and the steering ram itself wouldn't produce enough force to turn the wheels.
Steering box is a possibility.
Third possibility is pressure loss. The charge pump at the front of the hydro produces the hydraulic flow and pressure for the power steering, the hydraulic lift, and for the hydrostatic drive. When hydraulics wear out you can lose pressure once things warm up. It is possible to check the pressure at the front outlets with a pressure gauge, cold and hot. You could also see if the mower deck lifts just as well hot and cold, though this isn't a particularly accurate test.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In addition to Charms suggestions, when you fixed to roll pin, by chance did you take a look at the hydro filter? Is it a Deere brand and also the correct part number? If not, what brand and model number is it? Some filters will fit but might have different flow and operating pressure specs.
If it’s a Deere, do the filter and fluid look original to the tractor or do you have any service records to indicate when either was replaced?
Hydro Fluid level is at the correct level?
Any hydro leaks under the machine or steering column?
Is there a mechanical bind in the steering
Linkage or spindles? In other words, if you disconnect the steering cylinder from the steering linkage and raise front wheels off the ground, can you turn the wheels easily from side to side?
With the cylinder still unattached and engine still shut off, does the steering cylinder extend and retract correctly when you turn the steering wheel?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a pressure gauge to test with but I'll see if I can find one. The mower deck seemed to lift a little slower when it was hot too, but I couldn't say for sure on that, may have been in my head
The fluid and filter was changed by me when I got it. I used JD low-vis and a Napa filter. I don't recall the part number. I've always used Napa on my 400 and the guy I bought it off of had used Napa filters and Dexron Mercon fluid. He's had it since new. 700 hours.
The linkage seems like it's good shape, although I've not pulled the ram. If it was binding wouldn't it be binding when cold too?
As far as leaks, I did go back out last night and look and there's a small leak under the rear. Looks like dripping from the large hose near the filter. Not sure exactly where it's coming from though. When I was replacing the roll pin I didn't notice any leaks on the input shaft or anything up top.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I wanted to make sure that the fitting for the quick connector would be a 4010-2P Pioneer? I'm going to try to gather the pieces I need for a pressure gauge before I start changing parts.
Yes, that should be the right one. For this purpose the gauge would only need to go to 1000 psi, but if you ever might use it for some other application, a higher pressure range would be good.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After driving the tractor around for about 10 minutes I checked the pressure in a front port. At idle I was getting about 600 and at WOT about 750. Is that low enough to cause the issue? Tractor wasn't hot enough to make steering totally inoperable but it was getting harder. I did notice even when cold it won't hit the stop turning right unless you're moving.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just a possibility, but , one of the seals could have slipped out of the piston groove and turned over resulting in binding and loss of sealing ability. Could test the cylinder by removing it and testing it on a hydraulic power pack ?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah I've got a PDF of the service manual. It says the implement pressure should be 850-975. Do you all think that I should start by shimming the implement relief valve?
Do you all think it's worth giving a JD filter a try? I've used the 1410 on my 400 for 6 years, changing every year and never had an issue.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did the shimming thing on my 300 some years ago. It did work, but I only did it because I wanted a bit more pressure for a homemade loader I built. If I was you I would try to get to the bottom of the steering problem you're having. Still sounds to me like you're having some kind of bypassing problem, causing your low pressure. But I could be wrong.
Also, Mike _U's post #3 suggested disconnecting the steering cylinder and jacking up the front end to do some checking. Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know you said you have used that same NAPA hydro filter on your 400 but the power steering system on a 430 is completely different than the power steering on a 400.
Before I'd tear into the hydro system, I would contact Napa and see if the filter you are using is spec'd for the pressure the Deere manual calls out. I would also check to see if it has any type of bypass built in that might be keeping your pressure below spec.
If you still have the 400 tractor and it has hyd. fittings where you can measure pressure, I'd also measure the pressure on that tractor for comparison.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I still have the 400. I'll check it's pressure and see what it's making. I'd had a 1410 Napa filter on a 318 I used to have also and I don't recall it having any issues. My dad owns it now. I may try to check the pressure on it as well.
I did jack up the front end this evening to see if anything was binding. With the front end jacked up and the tractor off, I can turn the wheels to stop in both directions with relatively little pressure. My 3 year old daughter was helping me and she could turn them all the way around. So that means there's no binding in the steering system.

here's some info on the Napa (Wix) filter. NapaGold 1410 (Wix 51410) Oil Filter

1 - 20 of 40 Posts