Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quick story on Napa filters (not that they are bad, but sometimes the equivalent of another filter is wrong)

I used a Napa equivalent (had a Napa business account) fuel filter on my boat 350/260hp Merc. Was fighting a fuel issue, would stall after 10-15 seconds of full throttle. Boat was bone stock. Come to find out I was pulling a vacuum in the fuel system somehow. I swapped to a Merc filter and the problem was gone.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Steve, I can keep turning it after it hits the stops, but I have to put a lot of pressure on it. It's a pretty solid stop. I need to try the procedure in the manual for testing that next.
Do you think it's worth trying a JD filter?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I mowed again this evening with it and got it really warmed up. Checked pressure at a front port at idle was 150 and at full throttle 700. Seems like I need to figure that out instead of steering box

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If I try changing the filter, do you all think I should try a different fluid than the JD low-vis? I talked to the original owner again and he said he didn't remember ever having any issues with the steering with it. He always ran mercon ATF

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Since it was easy to try, I shimmed the implement pressure a little too get it up to spec and still seem to have the issue. I used a electrical connector I cut up to do it so I'm sure the copper isn't a good idea. Does anyone know where I could get a goid shim? The jd kit is $50!
I have a 318 for parts. Think it's worth swapping columns and trying?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No, while I had the fenders and tank off I thought it would be a good time to go ahead and fix leaking swash plate shaft seal and axle shaft seal. Got those fixed, then, I noticed there is some lateral play in the u-joints, so I'm going to do those while I'm in there.
I think I found some shims at lowes last night to keep the pressure bumped up. I'm also thinking of going back with regular hy-gard since I have the fluid drained right now. The price of fluid seems to have gone up a lot! Anyone used the tractor supply J20C?

I think my next step after I get everything together is pull the steering cylinder off and see if that hard spot to the right is still there.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It would be pretty inexpensive to try the Deere filter. That would be my recommendation.

Found a NAPA filter for my 140 way back when, it was 2x as expensive. I got a Deere a month ago for $9.67, the Hygard was just over $20 a Gallon. (Both are up in the last few years, IIRC the filter used to be ~$7 and the Hygard was $16).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I did order a JD filter and will probably try it also instead of the Napa. The cheapest I can find HyGard online is upper $20's.. My nearest dealer is an hour away. Hard to find a couple hours free to go get some in person.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I did order a JD filter and will probably try it also instead of the Napa. The cheapest I can find HyGard online is upper $20's.. My nearest dealer is an hour away. Hard to find a couple hours free to go get some in person.
Yeah, I'm a little jaded as (here in Deere central) I have about 10 dealers within an hour. So, I'm a little spoiled. My normal 3 dealers that I check stock on are all equidistant in a triangle at about 15 minutes.

There used to be one that I could have walked too, but they closed it.:(

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
This is where we get most of our parts and maintenance supplies from.
Code TTWT for free shipping.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts