Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I was wondering if y’all could give me a hand with these taillights.
Arthropod Wood Insect Gas Automotive tire

When I hook up my light, only this line will make it come on. What could this be? Is the other one for the seat switch? If so, that thing has been completely deleted from the system. Also, the light will only come on if the switch on the dash is in the off position.When I pull it up (the switch on the dash), it turns off. What could this be? And one more thing, what does this do?
Finger Electrical wiring Electrician Cable Engineering

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Second photo is ground wire. I assume other end of long wire goes to connector for one taillight. The other needs to go to connector for second taillight. The broken eyelet needs to be replaced so it can be attached to a ground source.

Reactions: SuperSherman44

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Second photo is ground wire. I assume other end of long wire goes to connector for one taillight. The other needs to go to connector for second taillight. The broken eyelet needs to be replaced so it can be attached to a ground source.
Thanks gabby for that info! I didn’t know that eyelet was the ground. Perhaps it got broken and that’s why it was disconnected in the first place

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Went out and took some photos of my 318 taillight harness. One yellow wire provides power to tailights. Two black to each light socket. One would be power the second ground.

Doing some update work on my desktop that won't let me attach photos right now.

This is from TM 1591
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for
Went out and took some photos of my 318 taillight harness. One yellow wire provides power to tailights. Two black to each light socket. One would be power the second ground.

Doing some update work on my desktop that won't let me attach photos right now.

This is from TM 1591 View attachment 271405
Thank you Gabby. Now I’m wondering if those red wire are what’s left of the safety seat switch?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think you are correct about those wires in the loom being for the seat switch,

On my 332 the tail light power wire is yellow, like @gabby_in_wis said. It has a single spade connection right near that seat wire/loom.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I’m assuming the 2 red wires are the seat safety switch wires. The schematic for the 316,318 and 420 shows 2 pink wires going to the seat switch. One pink wire comes from the 3A fuse which might explain why one of your red wires lights your tail light. (If you already have one wire on your taillights, you may be grounding through the front light filaments when the headlight switch is off.)
I don’t have a 430 schematic so I’m guessing your seat switch wires are red, not pink.
Use that black ground wire and find the other wire Gabby mentions and use those two for taillights. I know you had the seat pan off when you worked on your hydro linkage. I believe the rear light harness should be under the fender pan near the seat harness on top of the gas tank.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m assuming the 2 red wires are the seat safety switch wires. The schematic for the 316,318 and 420 shows 2 pink wires going to the seat switch. One pink wire comes from the 3A fuse which might explain why one of your red wires lights your tail light. (You are probably grounding through the headlight switch when it is off.)
I don’t have a 430 schematic so I’m guessing your seat switch wires are red, not pink.
Use that black ground wire and find the other wire Gabby mentions and use those two for taillights. I know you had the seat pan off when you worked on your hydro linkage. I believe the rear light harness should be under the fender pan near the seat harness on top of the gas tank.
Mike, everything you said hits the nail right on the head! Thanks for the help. I’ll get back out there tomorrow, and keep everyone posted

·
Registered
293 Posts
In thinking about this since I posted, if you get a light to turn on when you touch the one red wire to your tail light, do you already have another wire connected to your tail light?
That’s the only way I’m thinking you would get the light on and why the switch isn’t working like you expect.

If you already have the +12V light circuit wire connected to the rear lights but the switch is off, and that light circuit wire is also connected to the front headlights - it can provide a ground via the front light bulbs. By touching the red wire that has +12V to the rear tail lights, you are back feeding the light circuit and I'm guessing the front headlights are also lighting up. By turning on the headlight switch, you are now putting +12V on both sides of the lights and losing your ground.

If you do already have one wire connected to your tail lights, it’s likely the +12V from your light switch and all you need to do to fix the problem is connect the ground wire to the rear tail lights and connect that round eyelet to the frame. When you removed the seat pan, the eyelet was probably connected to one of the seat pan bolts you removed and you did not realize you disconnected it or it got pulled off a different bolt when you or a previous owner took off the seat pan.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
S6 is the seat switch, pink wires from TDCM to switch and switch to wire harness.
Schematic Font Parallel Engineering Circuit component

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will. I was wondering where that ground eyelet was hooking up to, as there’s not too many places it can. But as far as the seat switch lines, I think we’ve got it figured out. That eyelet was like that when I got it. In fact, this whole assembly is exactly how I got it. Pretty chopped up! I may have to cut that eyelet out, instead of un-clamping it, as it looks pretty stuck in there. Also (if I didn’t mention this already), the headlights come on at the right time no matter what I do with the rear

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cut all those wires out, leave pigtails on the taillights and cut back the factory harness to clean wires.

Wirenuts have no place on a tractor.

Splice the seat switch with a fresh connection.
Crimp a spade connector on the factory harness and run a positive to each bulb. Find a spkt to run a small wire with eyelet to ground, crimp another spade connector, then run your ground to the bulbs.

The spade connectors allow for fender removal.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Sherman, often the eyelet is attached to the screw that goes through the right rear fender deck mount. The eyelet is on the underside of the fender deck. Motor vehicle Wood Electrical wiring Automotive tire Vehicle door Electricity Gas Electrical wiring Wood Cable
This is a 318.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the lights working! And I wouldn’t have got it done without you guys! Turns out, we were right in that those red wires are safety switch wires. So, I hooked up the lights together, grounded that beat up eyelet to the seat pan mounting bracket and they light up!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper

I think Mike was right about the light switch grounding it out. Now it works right. I hooked up the wires
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Human body Motor vehicle

Put the seat pan on, and tested them out. They look and work great!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

And Jeeks, I definitely hear you on going through that all (Its something I’d like to do in the near future) but for right now, it’s good enough for me. I’d like to thank everyone for helping me get this done! I wouldn’t have gotten it done without you all.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Helping out is what we are here for. I'm sure the day will come when you can help us ... Gabby

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Helping out is what we are here for. I'm sure the day will come when you can help us ... Gabby
With the amount of stuff I’ve went through with this 430, I feel like I could answer anyone’s question about the 420/430 (at least 420’s drivetrain/frame)! Lol

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Way to Go! Even though I've never had occasion to use the headlights/taillights on any of my Deeres, I always make that part of each project. Just bothers me if they aren't there or just don't work...Nutsy Fagan I guess.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Way to Go! Even though I've never had occasion to use the headlights/taillights on any of my Deeres, I always make that part of each project. Just bothers me if they aren't there or just don't work...Nutsy Fagan I guess.
Same here. I don’t think I’ll ever use them, but it would drive me nuts knowing I never tried to get those taillights going!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I even put taillights on tractors that did not come from the factory with them. That is an addiction isn't it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts