Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a John Deere quick hitch broom and blade l bought from a factory auction. The blade appears like it was used very little. Is missing both skid feet. The broom was used more and I cleaned up the top of it and painted some stuff marks. Tried to measure bristles average 3" from center. Don't know what they're supposed to be. Broom also missing one side stand. Comes with long PTO shaft. Have not hooked up to this unit up to anything to see if it works but the short shaft spins free. Seller said everything was working. I might be able to hook up hitch to 2305 to check the action of cylinders. Not sure of total value want to sell as package. Try 1800 and go from there. Probably also list on CL and FM I have nothing to use this stuff on. West Point Indiana. Thanks Matt.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Matt, tell me to mind my own business if I am out of line. I know you asked some questions about the broom before you bought it.

The quick hitch is for 4X5 and newer tractors. The attachments are driven off the transmission by the long driveshaft. The 3XX and 4XX quick hitch have different drive mechanisms.

The 54" blade will fit any quick hitch. I know it will work on my 318 hitches up through the quick hitch for my X485. Should also fit X7XX tractors. If you are going to use the broom on 316/318/322/330/332/420/430 you will need a different driveshaft.

If that is a model 51 broom I am using one on my 318. Should pin up to all quick hitches. The only issue may be the rotation speed of the transmission driveshaft vs front pto drive speed.

3XX quick hitch will fit closed frame 3XX tractors also. A different pulley to fit Kohler front pto is needed to use the broom on closed frame tractors. Plus most closed frame tractors (and 316 Onan and 330) do not have power steering. The broom is heavy.

Photo is 318 quick hitch on my 317. I have the correct pulley for the front pto and tractor has Brantly power steering. Third photo is a 318 dedicated to broom/blade/snow blower duty. Missing from photo is the need for tons of rear counterweight needed to use the broom on a 318.
Wheel Tire Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Yes these 3 pieces were ran on a 445. They did not sell it its still sitting. I'm going by what you guys said and I measured the broom it measures 51" across. The thing is for whatever reason unless I'm blind I can't find the model # plate anywhere am I missing it somewhere? The blade is same way no model info. My son also borrowing 2305 so didn't hook up hydraulics on front hitch. Tell me more where to look for model #'s if I'm missing something. I would have posted #'s before but can't find them and want to mislead thought easier to just show bunch of pictures. Let me know thanks. Matt.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I will have to go over to storage bin but will see what I can find. Need to take some wheels over there for storage so will take the camera with me.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Width on quick hitches vary also, so glad that you said it came off a 445. So that will work on any 4X5 series. Along with the long drive shaft. Model/serial number labels are on the frames of the brooms.I'll have to check my stuff for their locations.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
On the broom, look on the black frame behind the brush head. If not then it got removed when prepped for repaint. By someone else. Looking closer, you have something masked off on the top rear of the broom. That might be it.
On the plow, look on back of plow, the top support cross brace, it should be there between the spring holes, also a JD logo just above that on the blade. If not then it got removed when prepped for repaint. By someone else.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kinda weird? I'll take another look in AM when I get home. But there's nothing there on either piece. Can't imagine the factory painted these things but maybe. Any reason they might have removed model tags and kept on file? No idea. Even the blade no decals maybe it was repainted. Looks like new. If I zoom in on my own picture between spring's does seem like maybe some distortion that something was there. I'm at work tonight.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The factory JD applies decals and such after painting and inspection, before it leaves the factory and goes to the dealers. So this was done by previous owners, before you. If it looks like new than who ever re-painted it did a great job. Just forgot to take pic of the important labels and didn't spring to have new one from Deere or another label shop.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper

The model number/serial number should be on the left side on the upper broom support frame as in this picture from the User/Operators Manual

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gabby, trying to figure brushes life left on my unit for sale. Some members inquiring. The picture you have of broom on I believe 317 when I zoom in my brushes seem similar. Is that one you've been using? Thanks Matt

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Matt, the brushes on my model 51 broom were heavily worn when I bought the broom. Pretty sure the photos I attached show broom with worn brushes. I have no experience with brush life so I do not think I can help you. I only use my broom to sweep the lawn which IMO would not be as harsh on brushes as sweeping snow off concrete. I thought I had later photos with new brushes installed but I could not find them.

I bought the broom from a member that I believe is from Utah. Can not remember his name. If I can find his name he may be able to give some information on the life of brushes.

Reactions: ptzbrg

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Yes it will work on a 420. The 420 has a drive thru the front axle pivot the drive shaft connects to. BM18173 is the driveshaft needed.... https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc...U9OLDMwMDk6I0NBVEFMT0csNzMzNTM6RVFVSVBNRU5UXQ

Also yes to 4100 ... Here is link to the 4XXX models ... https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc...U9OLDMwMDk6I0NBVEFMT0csNzMzNTM6RVFVSVBNRU5UXQ

Actually the 51" broom fits quite a few models but each group needs it own mounting and driveshaft, Go into Deere parts catalog, type in 51 for model. Select Rotary Broom. It will list 4 different models and the groups they fit.

Reactions: ptzbrg
1 - 19 of 19 Posts