Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having trouble with my tractor it will set and run fine at all positions of the throttle but when you start moving it wants to die out may be in 10' or 50' but will bog out let off the pedal it will regain and run for a few more feet and do it again its like turning the key off and back on what could be the problem .Ive check all the wires around the motor and dashboard could it be the break switch which I didnt get under didnt want to lay in the mud just started this the other day its not the seat switch . I let it sit and run wide open for 30 mins and it ran great just when you hit the pedal and start moving when it does it can anybody help me Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do you have any way to check fuel pressure? The EFI engines need around 25 lbs of pressure to run. It's not easy but one thing I would check would be the short piece of hose between the fuel pump and fuel feed line above it in the tank. I've seen the hoses split and also cracked at the edges of the clamps. It means spending some time and pulling the rear fender pan to get to the tank.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
First off, please clarify the following:
  • year and serial number of your 445 - the wiring is different for early and late models
  • in the test you describe, was the PTO off or on?
  • what happens with the PTO on a) when just sitting still, and b) when moving?
  • how you know it's not the seat switch (asking because it sure sounds like it)

The more information you can provide, the better the chance of a good diagnosis. Unfortunately, the 4x5 series are all getting to be around 20 years old, which is when the electrical gremlins arrive - although I'm not convinced your problem is electrical. The idea of an intermittent fuel interruption seems reasonable.

Assuming the PTO was off during your testing, it's unlikely the brake switch is the problem - it does not kill the motor unless the PTO is engaged. If your tractor is a later model, with the RIO switch, it's also unlikely to be the problem, as it does not kill the motor unless the PTO is on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a 95 I think it does not have the RIO switch pto is off it run great untill you push the pedal to move somtime you can go a ways and sometimes not doest in forward and reversei ts not the pto . The tractor runs great as long as your sitting still revs up fine takes gas well runs great at all throttle position it only when you press the go pedal

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
OK, so you have no RIO, and the PTO is off - that simplifies things. It still feels like a loose or bad connection to me, given the on/off nature of it. Try having it just sitting there running, and start wiggling wires. I'd start with the seat switch - even if you have it jumpered out, it could still have a loose connection. Then wiggle wires under the dash.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Sounds to me like the tractor is sensing movement without an operator sitting in the seat which shuts down the engine as it is supposed to do. Reconnect all the wires as they are supposed to be and your problems will go away. If you want someone here to tell you how to jump safety devices that is against WFM rules. Roger

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you want someone here to tell you how to jump safety devices that is against WFM rules.
And it’s incredibly stupid, they can be annoying until the one day the may save the day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so you have no RIO, and the PTO is off - that simplifies things. It still feels like a loose or bad connection to me, given the on/off nature of it. Try having it just sitting there running, and start wiggling wires. I'd start with the seat switch - even if you have it jumpered out, it could still have a loose connection. Then wiggle wires under the dash.
Ive done that too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds to me like the tractor is sensing movement without an operator sitting in the seat which shuts down the engine as it is supposed to do. Reconnect all the wires as they are supposed to be and your problems will go away. If you want someone here to tell you how to jump safety devices that is against WFM rules. Roger
I know how to jump them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont jump the seat switch I live on a hill so I want it hooked up .When it warms up a bit Im gonna crawl under it see if I find anything seems everything top is ok Ive shook at the wires while it was running on top

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I often use a jumper wire on the seat switch to diagnose problems. Does not mean you have to leave it on the tractor after problem is resolved. 332 I recently purchased has no wires thru fender deck for seat switch meaning someone jumped the wires under the fender deck. That will be repaired when tractor comes out of storage this spring.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well, this is certainly an interesting problem. Since this is an early 445, I have no idea how the tractor knows that it's moving forward, rather than just sitting there. Some things to try that may provide additional information:

• with the tractor running, but sitting still, lift up off the seat. See if it acts exactly the same as when it dies when you're moving forward
  • try moving forward with the PTO on, and see if it makes any difference
  • test the brake switch by moving forward with the PTO on and hitting the brake, and see if it cuts out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The weather was decent today piddled with my tractor a little bit and jumped the seat switch and that aint the problem let iit sit and run about 30 mins runs great got on it started out the driveway and she tried to die on me let off the pedal before it quit completely she regained he energy started moving again got about 10' and she tried to die out again let off the pedal and it runs . Darn thing only has 85 hrs on it since I rebuilt the motor had over $800.00 in the rebuild had to bore it so everything is new inside the motor even done the heads also . Next gonna mess with the switch on the brake pedal and see what that does. It runs perfect until it moves. Does anybody think it could be the ignition module doing it I have replaced it about a yr ago

1 - 20 of 33 Posts