Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
455 doesn't want to start. I have already looked at all 3-fuses and they appear to be ok. The float ring in sediment bowl at the injector pump is not visible and has fuel in it. When I turn the key on the shut off solenoid operates - it pulls back for a couple seconds and then appears to close partially (throttle is down in the idle position). I believe my next step will be to pull off the sediment bowl and empty it out. Then I will put it back on and turn on the key to verify the fuel pump in the fuel tank is operating before I pull off the seat and the rear shroud to pull the fuel pump to see about a fuel filter there. The only other thing will be maybe changing out the spark plug before I decide to call Mother Deere. The motor turns over just fine and usually after just a second or two it fires right off - but not now. Should I be investigating something else? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
571 Posts
You should be able to hear the fuel pump hum when you turn the key. You may need someone to sit on the seat and remove the fuel cap. Do you see the glow plug lamp turn on when you turn the key? It may be a safety switch so check those also.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, , glow plug idiot light on the dash cluster lights up and goes out as normal, no spark plugs - 3-less things to worry about. Fuel shut-off solenoid and fuel pump ~ if I pull the sediment bowl off at the fuel injector pump on the side of the motor and put something under it to catch fuel (water?) then if I turn the key on as normal and hold the fuel shut-off solenoid open (towards the rear of the tractor) I should in theory get a continuous flow of fuel. Correct? I know enough to be dangerous and I just changed out the fuel filter and sediment bowl at the injector pump on the side of the motor just last year so I am not as apprehensive about the pot metal on this whole assembly as I would be with one that has been there for +5 years or one that would be original to the tractor. Thank you, Kevin

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled more apart prior to Saturday and from what I figure it is in need of a new fuel pump in the tank. I pulled it out and set it on top of the tank and plugged it back in and turned the key - nothing. I pulled the plug apart and I had 9.5 volts at the plug. Ended up at Greenmark and they had to order one (due by Wednesday). $160 for the pump and the sediment screen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its hard to tell by just reading your messages but the fuel shut off solenoid goes bad sometimes on these tractors and will pull the battery down etc. causing problems. Try unplugging the solenoid and manually hold fuel shut off lever in start position while someone trys starting it. Easy way to rule it out. You really need to get a service manual.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The fuel pump does not receive a full 12 volts until it is running. When key is on, it only gets around 8 volts so it doesn't over pressurize before it's started. Hope you got it going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts