Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a 455 for sale. He ran it out of hydraulic oil due to a leaking hose. After filling with oil, it won’t move and has no hydraulic functions. Is it possible only the pump has failed?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just talked to the owner again. He said it did work for a bit after filling with oil before it stopped moving. The power steering still works.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Most likely the system is full of air. I would continue working steering, and the hydraulic contols (deck lift) or if it has the plow on for Winter work (lift/angle). Then jack up the rear and slowly work the foot controls for forward and reverse. Did he fill with the correct hydraulic fluid? Is it cold where you are at? It could also slow up the removal of air from the system.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He had a tech from the Deere dealer make a 45 mile service call to change a hose and refill with fluid. It worked when the tech left but quit moving shortly after. I would look at it but the owner pointed to a 10’ snowbank and said “it’s under there”. It should be visible by the end of April. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
1) Wait until the snow melts
2) Drain the system, change the filter, and refill with the correct Deere Lo-Vis Fluid.

Hopefully it will all be fine - my concern is that running it dry may have damaged the charge pump.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Deere dealer wouldn’t take it on trade so he doesn’t think it’s worth much. It has a tiller, 60” mower and a front weight bracket. Owner said all plastics were good before it got buried. I am going to see if he will let me dig it out with my bobcat. It is about 5 miles away. Lawn and garden is a very small part of the ag dealers business here in rural Saskatchewan. They are happy to sell new but won’t bother with used. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
I would love to see a photo slide show of the process if you do decide to dig it out. Tom

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a look. Way too much snow too move. I will leave it till spring

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
Good call, it may have turned out like the disastrous Geraldo Rivera opening an Al Capon vault and finding it empty! Well, I thought the tractor was there?? Tom

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sure it is there but would hate to find it 2’ closer than I thought

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
Yeah, you'd have to poke and prod the pile carefully to not injure the Deere, kinda like exploratory surgery. It will be interesting to hear the rest of the story once things thaw. Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts