Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm going to be replacing all the spindle bearings on my 318 46" deck this week. I have the new bearings, but what I need to know is which numbers are top and which are bottom. The bearings are #***09 and #***10. Doesn't look like a major job, just a bit time consuming. I've copied Andre's directions and wooden tool for removing the spindles. Just need to make time on Saturday to do the job. I've also got the parts to renew the center axle bolt and bearings for the front end. Since the deck will be out of the way, might as well do that little job.

Richard
The Banjo Man

·
Registered
412 Posts
Richard, Not sure if I understand what you are asking. As far as I know the top bearings are the same as the bottom ones.

Item 5 is the bearings. JD9296 BALL BEARING 6 each.
As for which side is the top of the bearing and which side is the bottom, both should be the same also.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I just got off the phone with my local JD dealer, and guess what? They ordered me the wrong bearings! They have the correct bearings in stock. They ordered bearings for a 50" deck. Jdparts gave me one number and you all said the same thing, so, I'll be making a trip up the road later today to exchange bearings.
Thanks

"Banjo"

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from the dealer, 6 new bearings in hand (JD9296) and a $34.00 cash back (difference in cost) and a very deep appology from the manager. (who actualy took my order)

So I'm back on track to do some maintenance saturday, if the rains will let up!

Banjo

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the bad thing is, I didn't get any pictures. The good thing is that the deck, with over 1000 hours on it looks in great shape! All the bolts holding the spindles on came loose without using an air rachet, and I only had to use that on the spindle pulley nuts. The bottom bearing ring came off with no problem on all three, the pulleys came of with a few taps with a brass hammer, and the bearings came out easily. I cleaned everything, ran some fine sanding cloth over the shaft, greased as per JD directions, inserted bottom bearings, tapped the shaft in, added the spacer, tapped the top bearing in, turned it all upside down and finished tapping the shaft in. Added the key and tapped the pulley onto the shaft, and used the air rachet to snug the pulley nut down. Cleaned the deck underside, and found "Yellow paint"! No rust, or any holes. I secured the spindle housings to the deck, and that's where I stopped for today. Total time was 4 1/2 hours!
Tomorrow morning I'll hook the deck to the tractor, put two new belts on and the mule drive, adjust it all and fire it up to mow the front acre. There should be a magical difference in how it sounded before and how it sounds now.

Richard
The Banjo Man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.