Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if an 84' 46" 300 mower deck will fit a '87 212.
Jake
Also, has anyone repower with the B/S vanguard, found a place that claims direct replacement including wiring harness and bolt pattern. Can this be true?

·
Registered
69 Posts
hi guys got a issue.I'm fixing a 240 with a Kawasaki for a guy.the engine isn't getting fuel.the pump is new and pumps fuel.theres a fuel solenoid on the bottom of the bowl of the carb and I can hear it click when the key is turned on.I'm wondering if this is the issue.thanks

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Brad -

Your click could simply be a relay clicking . Put your fingers on the fuel solenoid to verify . Otherwise - Carb. needs to be thoroughly cleaned (total breakdown) , assuming you have spark and compression . I bet she'll run after that .

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
well I got the gas tank out and didn't find anything plugged.i also cleaned the carb.nothing dirty there either.so now after tearing the gas tank out still wont start.so I got a new plug and tried a little gas straight in the carb.still wont fire.LOL I'm thinking the spark is too weak.I checked the spark and it sparks a little but not as good as I think it should be.it should have at least fired for a few seconds.so I got the guy ordering a new coil.I just hope theres nothing else wrong.I was also supprised it sparked without the seat switch being pushed down.and no its not by passed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well got the new ignitor.still won't start.the spark looks the same to me.something don't seem right.I've been working on deeres others for long time now..I can't recall seeing a coil that just has weak spark.they usally work or don't work.only other thing I can think is poor compression. I remember years ago I had a old Bolens 12hp that did this.had spark and fuel and wouldn't start till I lapped the valves.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Wish I'd have instructed you to get a loaner igniter from someone . That's a big hit - not to make any progress . Sorry 'bout that Chief .

So , does it now have a new ignition coil AND igniter ? If you think it is still too weak a spark . I would disconnect the Ignition Kill wire that grounds the coil at shut-off . You could have a fuzzy ignition contact allowing continuity to ground , a bad or fuzzy seat switch trying to kill the spark , or a faulty brake switch also muddying up the water . Find the wire that kills the ignition and disconnect it (found at the actual solid state coil) from the rest of the machine . If it starts and has good spark with it disconnected , you simply find any of the safety switches that are holding you out . I've seen Kawasakis' wired to let the motor crank , but not run without all safety switches satisfied . I think one of them , IIRC - was a john deere 240 as matter of fact .

I mentioned all the normal safety switches you definitely need satisfied , but I'm by no means an expert on the 240 . I do know they have their own kwirky way of meeting intended safety features , as do many others . But there seems to be something sticking in my mind about this era John Deere with Kaw.single cyl. that throws up a red flag . Could be the seat safety is wired backwards from most (?) ie.., continuity when off seat , instead of on seat , or something like that , comes to mind .

The more detailed you can be , will certainly be the utmost of help for us trying to help you re-kindle the flames in her combustion chamber .

Of course ..., and this is just a silly question , you have verified piston to crank interface connection , Right ? Hey I don't know unless you mention that . Haa-ahaa- Ha .

All in all Brake switch - pto switch - seat switch - ignition switch should all be scrutinized FIRST with a fine-tooth comb . I've seen a little dirt and moisture at a switch connection absolutely kill out a good solid spark , but allow a little pissy-arse spark trick one' into utter backward-arse over-thinking .

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
David I havent installed the new coil yet.only new ignitor.I did by pass the seat switch with a jumper wire and that did nothing.as far as the piston to crank thing not sure what you mean.but it did have 150psi compression. I also didn't see any brake switch or wire under the tractor now where.it does do the somewhat spark without sitting on it.maybe cause its in neutral gear.I told him if this coil don't work I guess I'm done.he doesn't wanna stick a ton of money into it.whuch he's already like 200.00 into it with my labor and parts.if the coil don't work it gotta be something electrical.I did see the small modules under the dash.3 of them.and I know they control switchs and starting ect. I had 332 onetime that had one go bad that controlled the 12 volts to the glow plugs.that thing was like 99.00 for a new one ha ha.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well I bet the new coil will do it > I Thought that(coil), being one of the first things you mentioned ; that you may have already done replaced it also .
My dealer says they always replace the coil AND the igniter at the same time , cause he says either can trash the other . But hey , He sells part$ for a living also .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.