Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 47" blower late this summer. I was excited to get it. I've got the 46 and a 54" blade but always wanted the 47 mounted to the front of my JD420. We got our first snow last night... not much only a couple 2-3" and I set out to test it out. The snow coming out of the shoot was barely making it to the side of the tractor! Upon closer inspection, two of the three fan blades have the vertical side pieces bent in at about a 30deg angle. Not sure how that happened. Could that be the cause of this? Take a look at the photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CjGuvD8zbRdaCqxk6

Can I just clamp on some vice grips and bend them back? I don't have an acetylene torch to heat up the blade... only a regular propane torch for sweating pipes.

Also, Does anyone add rubber paddles to the fan blades like they do on the 46"? Will that improve the throwing distance? I've seen videos online with 47's on 420's throwing snow 20-30 yards. What can be wrong with mine?

Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Joe, the augers in the front simply feed snow to the fan. the fan is what "blows" the snow. Repair/replace fan and try again. I think you'll see a HUGE difference with a fn that works! Bob

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Sounds like the model 47 is an older model but I am going mention a couple issues.

I know Deere change the impeller (fan) from steel to composite material (plastic). Gap between impeller and housing is the factor why you install paddles. I know a snow clearing company that is replacing the plastic impellers with steel because they do not throw the snow very far. FYI ... paddles on two stage snow blowers are not common but I did put them on a 1032 walk behind but sold it before I got to try it out.

The other thing is there are different pto speeds for the model 47's. Are you sure you have the correct model 47 for a 420. I am not experienced on this matter so you will need advice from more experienced members.

A third issue is 2" of snow is not much snow for a snow blower. Could be you didn't have enough snow in the machine to blow it. You may need a faster travel speed in light snow conditions.

Edit: Ignore this old farts advise. Your subject line says it is the "chest model 47" so other than transport speed and need for paddles the rest is me rambling.

Stay warm ... Gabby

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob,
So the fact that the tabs on the side of the fan blades are bent inward is most likely the issue?
Joe

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S
Edit: Ignore this old farts advise. Your subject line says it is the "chest model 47" so other than transport speed and need for paddles the rest is me rambling.

Stay warm ... Gabby

LOL... Thanks Gabby, Yes I checked the serial number on the blower. It begins with M02753X which means it has the 420/430 gearing and it ends with 555396 which means it was made in 1987. So it's an oldie. Solid as a rock and weighs a ton. Damn thing just won't throw snow.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I would say, "Yes." If you were to remove the fan completely, you have just a heavy snow plow on the front that doesn't blow at all! Augers would push/feed snow to middle of housing and then just push it along. That fan blade is TOTALLY what makes it a snow blower. Bob

Reactions: djeargazm

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you sir!
Looks like I'm pulling the auger so I can access it to bend it back into shape.
Joe

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Joe, I've never had or worked on a 47 so I can't help with any repair procedures.

I'm thinking something large and solid (like a brick or large stone) got fed up into the fan bending it. While you're in there, look for a shear pin. IF (??) there is/was one, it may have sheared and fan is turning slightly/slowly due to friction or rust. Bob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While you're in there, look for a shear pin. IF (??) there is/was one, it may have sheared and fan is turning slightly/slowly due to friction or rust. Bob
Good call. but I can't turn it by hand without the driveshaft spinning so the pin is good. That would have been a good thought though..

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
?????? I thought the drive shaft drove the augers and the fan. If you can turn fan by hand and nothing else moves, fan is not mechanically connected to anything!!! Look for a shear pin! Bob

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Grrr, Sorry, misread "can't"...just can't trust these old eyes! Bob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
?????? I thought the drive shaft drove the augers and the fan. If you can turn fan by hand and nothing else moves, fan is not mechanically connected to anything!!! Look for a shear pin! Bob
LOL... You were right and wrong... I have a video uploading to google that will explain. I'll post back the link when it finishes uploading. Too funny. Looks like I'm going to the hardware store to pick up a fistful of shear pins. Thankfully, I have one left in the spare holder on the unit so I'll bring it with me to match it.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Be VERY careful on replacing shear pins! JD parts do not spec grade of screw, but they're typically grade 5. Check bolt head for lines. I'm thinking you'll see 3 lines, this is a grade 5 bolt. Also, look around on your blower housing. Deere often supplies extras mounted on housing. Also again, USE nylok nuts and do not overtighten. You want to be able to turn bolt or nut by hand, or VERY light wrench pressure, when properly tightened. Bob

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
AHH! OK if augers don't feed snow to fan, fan can't blow snow!! Bob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Be VERY careful on replacing shear pins! JD parts do not spec grade of screw, but they're typically grade 5. Check bolt head for lines. I'm thinking you'll see 3 lines, this is a grade 5 bolt. Also, look around on your blower housing. Deere often supplies extras mounted on housing. Also again, USE nylok nuts and do not overtighten. You want to be able to turn bolt or nut by hand, or VERY light wrench pressure, when properly tightened. Bob
Thank you for those tips!!!!! Yes, I do have one extra in the housing right now. I'll match the new ones up with that.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
If anyone is following this thread, any ideas of the PROPER grade for the auger and fan shear bolts? Bob

Reactions: djeargazm

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think grade 5 sounds right for the auger bolt, though it is a special bolt with shear lines built into it. As for the fan, there is NO sheer protection on this model,except for the failure of the "Plate", a $280 part. The plate has a 5/16" grade 8 through bolt and a key. If the plate does not fail there is a hardened steel worm that is next in line at a price tag of about $1200 last time I checked. I quit using my old 47 snowblower "just anywhere" because of this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts