Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a 140/318 replacement deck ( with the mulching kit on it ) on my 1974 140 H3, I have the gauge wheels set at 3 1/2" according to the diagram on the deck, but the edge of the blade measures 2 3/4" off the floor.

My problem is the deck front gauge wheels are hardly off the floor, and the rear gauge wheels are about 1" off the floor, I backed way off on the height cutting adjustment knob, thinking that would help raise the deck higher, I didn't notice any difference. I will be crawling underneath it in the morning.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Jim, A couple of things. The deck height adjusting knob ONLY controls the lowering point for the deck. The deck should always come to the same position when raised.
Next, did you level your deck? You should have one hanger strap that's adjustable. Lower deck against height stop... don't worry about the setting. Adjust the adjustable strap so the deck is level side to side. Now check front to rear of deck. The rear should be about 1/4" max higher than the front. Adjust arms on mule drive to set this. The front should be the same height as the sides and the rear higher. You may (??) not get it perfect, just get it close! Verify belt tension is correct after final adjustment of mule drive arms.
Last, now set your deck height to the desired cutting level. Don't go by numbers on knob, go by height of blades from ground. Look at your wheels and set 3/8" to 1/2" above the ground. These are to prevent the deck from digging in/scalping on uneven ground. Your deck should NOT ride on these wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you rwmeyer, I am digesting your information and I believe I am starting to understand how this is supposed to work.
I am now finding out that the front of the deck is lower on the left hand side, I am thinking that it can be adjusted by turning one of the mule drive arm links until it is level.
I am going to keep at it till I get it right, thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Jim, You're on the right track! Adjust one mule link to get deck level/parallel to ground, then adjust both mule links to get front lower than rear. Do final adjustment on depth stop, set anti-scalping wheels and mow! Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts