Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't be the only one that thinks the three cover bolts on the back of the covers on a 48" deck are a royal pain. When loosened they are not retained by the square holes in the pillars. The heads themselves do not offer much retention if the holes in the cover are worn or wallowed to any extent. If you tighten them tight enough to grab the hole in the pillar, then the covers are hard or impossible to install. I was thinking of ways to improve. Seems that if you get a 1" or longer bolt instead, put a larger washer than the current head on it (to better cover the hole in the cover), install a heavy spring on the back side of the pillar and secure it with a lock nut, you could just press the bolt in with your finger to release the pressure on the cover and remove it without all the drama associated with the current setup. When I got my deck, they were loose and rusted to the nuts, so I had to cut them off to remove them. Surely, leaving them loose is now how they are supposed to work.
How do you experienced members deal with these?

Registered
Swartb, you are not the only one who thinks it鈥檚 a pita to deal with. Just e few days ago I was looking at my covers and thinking about repairing the slots that are worn/rusted oversized. And of a better way to fasten them. I like your spring idea, I think it would work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This would be handy if you could get in eaches and in 3/8". You could tack weld or JB weld a larger washer on it and take up any excess square with a sleeve or washer. Seems the USA doesn't make long neck carriage bolts.
Household hardware Fastener Engineering Auto part Metal

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swartb, you are not the only one who thinks it鈥檚 a pita to deal with. Just e few days ago I was looking at my covers and thinking about repairing the slots that are worn/rusted oversized. And of a better way to fasten them. I like your spring idea, I think it would work.
I have that same problem. I welded up and ground down a couple of cracks. The metal is pretty thin. Think I might tack a washer on the inside and use a cutoff wheel to create a new slot, But will require new paint!....again

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple of pics of my experiment with springs. Had to use a 2" bolt as could not get the nut on with 1.5" bolt. Put a lock nut on end. You can tighten lock nut if you need more pressure. Seems to work.
Hood Automotive lighting Gas Fender Paint
Yellow Wood Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle Auto part

Registered
Looks good. Could tack weld that washer to head of the bolt so that when you push in it stays with the head and doesn鈥檛 create issues with the gap/opening for the cover.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about welding it but I may just add some JB weld to it since it isn't load bearing. Only cost about a buck each for the three. Easy to remove! Just push it in, put a 3/8 on the bolt neck and twist it out. I tried a 1.5" bolt, but could not compress the spring far enough to get the nut on so punted to a 2". The springs were .69 at a place called Marvin's. I tried to find at TSC and it looks like they don't stock compression springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts