Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an older style 49 blower about a month ago. I haven't used it yet obviously, but it seems like it is in good shape. Today, I found what appears to be a newer styled 49 blower with a taller chute. It appears to be in excellent shape from the pics and the seller wants $250 for it. Would you buy the newer styled one and sell the older style one if you were me? Advice appreciated as always. I have no experience with either blower.

Dan

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The price for the newer one seems good. Lots of people add a taller chute on the older model to improve the throwing distance. I'd probably buy the newer one and sell the older one.

Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? I won't feel too bad if it isn't I guess. The chute looked taller in the picture and more rounded. I am probably wrong.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
This is what a tall chute looks like. It might just be camera angle, but the other one does look a bit short.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Oh boy..." what? Did I commit a foul? I didn't mean to. I have no affiliation with this blower and if I should not have linked a craigslist ad I apologize.

Edit: I searched around the site and found where Creaigslist ads were not supposed to be posted. Mods, Please nuke this thread or at least the offending post. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
LOL, No biggie but it becomes a hot topic when someone does it. Now you know and btw, Welcome to WFM Daniel, it's a great site.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
One thing I didnt see mentioned...
While people do put the tall chutes on the older square short chutes to improve throwing distance, I seem to recall that the round short chute also throws further than the square short chute.

Might be worth it if it is actually in better shape than yours. But thats for you to decide.
You could always buy it, and then buy another tractor for it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't suppose it is possible to still get the taller or rounder chutes from Deere is it?

JDF, Thanks for the welcome and for the lesson. I really like this site and didn't want to get the boot accidentally.

Dan

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Daniel, you can certainly buy the tall chute from Deere, but its expensive.

Your best bet is to find a used one for sale here, or on eBay, or some of the other chutes can be modified to work on the base of the current chute.

A few guys here use the chutes off the Deere walk behind throwers and they seem to work well. There are a few others you can adapt, but they need to be close in diameter to the factory chute, so that when you cut off the chute, and weld the replacement on, there isnt much difference in them.

·
Registered
653 Posts
FWIW:
Checked a couple of years ago at a dealer. The taller chute & the spout to fit 49 snowthrowers were available new, BUT the base of the chute had teeth for worm drive\gear turning. ($200.+) None were available with the base that uses a cable. So the bases could be switched out I guess. Bobo

Also - Happy International Beer Day to everyone!
August 5th. (Saw that on the internet.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey just so you guys know its out there. There is a Patio version of the 49 Blower which I added to a 317 I had for awhile. It was painted white but almost identical to the 49 I was running on my 322. Three differences, (1) it had a medium height rounded chute,( 2) the drive belt was shorter and (3), the chut rotator handle was slightly shorter probably because it was designed for the earlier 140 tractor frames. Still worked good though with a belt change.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
So what was the advantage of tying your information to a thread that had been gracefully sleeping for over 8 years?

Reactions: In The Weeds
1 - 18 of 18 Posts