Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped to start. I have not researched too much, but as everything I do goes, this ant hill is turning into a mountain. I am trying to tune up my Dad's 55 RER. The coil wire to spark plug's end came off of it, so I had to replace coil. While under the flywheel, I figured I had better change points, capacitor, and coil and that way it is all ready to go. Set points gap to .20 like my tech manual says. I emery clothed the inside of the flywheel to get rid of any of the rust/ dust. Also had a oil seal leak so I put new pan gasket and lower crank seal in. No oil leaks now. Anyways, put it all back together last night and tried to start, nothing there. Lost spark. I did not rotate the stator so I am not sure why that I lost spark. I took it back apart, rechecked my points gap and it was dead on .20 so I thought I would shoot this out there for any ideas? I will have to research my manual again today sometime hopefully.
Blake

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
If they were new points did you clean them with a clean piece of paper as they often come with oil on them. You didn't say it but did you also put a new condenser on it. If not I would replace that also. Roger

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger,
Yes did both. I even second guessed my work last night so I pulled it all back of and ran emery cloth in between the points and paper. Then rechecked gap again. Replaced points, coil, and condensor. Sorry for not saying that. Thanks for the response. Looking forward to hearing more ideas!
Blake

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night, I disconnected it from the top of the carb on the choke/ throttle plate. No difference disconnecting there. I may try to disconnect it completely from the stator and see what happens when I do that. That was my first thought after the possibility of wrong gap on the points.
Blake

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I am afraid of. Only I am worried about a bum coil. I dont have the tools that the tech manual wants me to check it with. It says to use a "AC" outlet for both coil and condensor. Does anyone have another way to test without that tool? I have my fluke, but am not familiar with what setting to put it on to test these since the coil has 3 wires and the fluke only has two.
Blake

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Blake condensers are not tested they are thrown away and replaced. In the 1950s/60s there was such a machine and I have one but I don't have the paper work that tells you what the test results should be so other than its antique value it is worthless. You can down load the Tecumseh medium frame manual on line and it will tell you how to test the coil. A cheap $10 on sale sometimes $3 HF VOM meter will do all the tests the manual will tell you to do. Roger

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger and Charles,
Thanks for all the help. Last night I went and replaced the condensor with another new. It fired right up after that. Just have to return this one now. Dang new JD parts. My next step was to replace coil with another new. I am glad that I didnt have to take everything apart again for the coil.
Blake

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well,

The 55 had run 5 times since March and all of this came about. I tried to start again about 2 weeks ago and dead as a doornail. No spark again. Pulled flywheel and key was sheared. Replaced key, checked points gap, made sure everything was clean and tight, and flywheel magnet seemed good. put back together. Had spark again. Went to start and wouldnt fire. pulled carb, cleaned again even though it looked very clean still and put it all back together. Still wont do anything. threw a shot of juice into the intake and it started for maybe 2 seconds. The downloadable tecumseh manual says to back the 2 adjustment scrwews out 1 turn each from seat. I did that, still nothing. Replaced them and same result still. When I was cleaning the carb again I wanted to double check the ball was still free, it was in fact rattling in there still when I clean it so that is free. I am hoping to give it a compression test tonight to make sure it has compression enough to overcome the spring for fuel inlet. If it was running good for those couple of runs, I wouldnt think it would be low on compression, but I am out of thougths on what to check next. Any ideas again guys? (other than to find a good resting place for this ol gal)
Blake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.