Weekend Freedom Machines banner

60 Engine Questions

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bltee 
#1 ·
I noticed the other day, since my 60 has been sitting a while, there is starting to be a puddle of oil underneath it. Not too bad, (since I always check the oil when I run it), but it hasn't been ran in a while. Further investigation leads me to believe it is leaking from the main case gasket (in between the "cover" and engine block)
I was just wondering whether anyone has taken apart one of these to replace these gaskets, or for other things, and maybe has some pictures? I have the Tecumseh manual, but I'm sure as you know, pictures and advice from the experience can help exponentially.
Thanks, JDB

#2 ·
I should note that it has the original Tecumseh VH60, and I changed the oil as soon as I got it, and after I ran it for the first hour.
Since then it has probably had 8-10 running hours (too many other projects). I'm sure some of you know that feeling.
Thanks, JDB

#3 ·
Jesse
Do you mean the joint indicated on the photo below?
If so, I would suggest tightening the bolts around the circumference. Per page 91 of the handbook these should be tightened to 115 in.lbs/9.6 ft.lbs/13Nm. That is not very tight but more important,they should all be the same tightness.

I have not bothered with a new gasket, just used gasket seal from Autozone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.