Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow WFM'ers,
Up to this point, I've been eyeballing anything John Deere and 1991 or older. A few models have caught my eye and have made it to my imaginary "to collect" list. A 110H or 112H round fender is on this list. I'm just starting a family at this point and would like to share old green garden tractors as a hobby to teach kids restoration, repair, maintenance, and instill a sense of caution when around machines. As a bonus, they can be all kinds of fun with parades, tractor shows, and help around the house. I grew up much the same way with farm equipment on a much larger & more dangerous scale with no problems due to my dad's excellent supervision, so I'm not overly concerned with this being a dangerous hobby for them.
In any case...I found a 1966 112 hydraulic lift on CL and am wondering if it isn't overpriced at $650 - see attached pictures. I have had my nose in hydrostatic 140/3XX John Deere's for a while and don't know a terrible amount about round fenders. I paid $900 for my 140H3 a couple of years ago in working shape with a 41" deck (now gone). This seems a little high for a "ran 6 months ago" unit. Opinions? Things to look for on RF tractors?

Advice/Opinions greatly appreciated in advance.

Adam

112h Side.jpeg 112h Front.jpeg

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The 1966 112 hydraulic lift tractors are somewhat collectable, as much fewer were made than the 1967 112 hydraulic lift. The 1967 model is still a nice tractor. Having said that, in the one picture it looks like it could be a 1967 model, as the footrest looks like it might be welded on instead of bolted. I could be all wrong. The Tecumsehs used in the 112 tractors are harder to find parts for than the Kohlers in the 110s.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Hey Adam
This is an excellent way for kids to learn about equipment an the safety there in.I gave my Son n his first birthday a 1/16th scale Erthl tractor and he has snce become JD crazy.He has his own 68 110 and a 68 60(which was given to him by his great uncle).He has been drivng the 110 by himself since before he was 3,now 6 he loves evey bit of driving It ANd KNOWS ALOT O STUFF ABOUT IT!Oops I am always warning him about the danger,his Grandfather was killed by a 4020 that rolled over on him.Get them involved early I say.Wnow have 7 tractors to play/learn with.

As for is it worth the price,it just depends on how deep your pockets are.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Cliff. It could be a 1967. I haven't requested any serial numbers yet to verify.

Is there any dependability difference between the K181 and the HH100 or just part availability? I would like this to be much like my '74 140H3 - a working beauty :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the year clarification.

Is there anything that would raise a red flag on these that wouldn't be obvious? I'm guessing pull the plug and look with a flashlight/turn over by hand. I could bring a battery to see if it will turn over with the key.

The transmission is probably straight forward with shift gate feel being the biggest barometer of condition. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I didn't know if there were any particular things to look for on these models.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Just about anything on a RF tractor is easily fixed if you follow the book and most parts are readily available. Unfortunately some parts can be expensive. If you can't drive the tractor it makes buying more of a crap shoot. Roger

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Used parts are available for almost everything at reasonable price. The only area that could get expensive quick is the engine, so that would be my biggest concern.

·
Registered
526 Posts
That's about 20 mile from me I would go with a 110 with a kohler k-181 easer to find parts for the engines then the 112 with the Tecumseh. That ad has been on cl for some time it was at a estate auction that I attended about a year or two ago. Its been a non runner for sometime before that auction it did have a deck and blower when it sold also . And they sold a 1964 110 as well I was next to last bidder he paid for them I can tell you that . LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mitchell,
Thanks for the info. I've noticed in on CL for the second time as well. The description of "was running 6 months ago" is cause for suspicion in my book. This may just be the big man's way of telling me to stick with hydrostatic drive green machines. I do have some time before kids reach the age where we would be restoring/enjoying them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts