Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been laid off in November, I decided to re-arrange the barn to start cleaning up the '67 112 I bought from fellow member @dmarchelle a couple of years ago. The tractor ran but was little hard starting, variator not responsive, and needed a good going over and repaint. The steering wheel is got cracks so I'll have to research on how to fix that. The steering wheel cap is intact but the clear plastic is got spider web cracks through out.
This is shortly after I bought it & the 140 from him.

I started dis-assembly last night and tonight. Got the seat, fenders, grille, hood supports, gas tank off. Been taking pictures as I go & bagging and tagging smaller parts (mostly bolts/nuts/washers at this point). This is after I cleaned up and moved tractors to create room to work.

Here SN plate. I have most of the tear down pictures on my phone and once that charges I will post them.

This will most likely be a long term project as I have picked up some off the books work during the day, but have more time in the evenings to spend on it especially to keep out of the wife's hair.
One thing I never noticed was that the tie rods are not adjustable as on the SFs. Just seemed weird.

I will post as I go so as to document the clean-up.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seat and drive idler pulley cover removed.

Fenders removed. Sheared off one bolt on right side. Should be no problem getting it out.

Shot of the steering wheel. Cracks on the spokes and in the cap.

As far as the cracks, will try either epoxy to fill and paint black and clear coat. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
348 Posts
John I'm glad to see it's getting some love. All my RF 112's seem to be hard starting. They just seem to want to crank a while before they fire. I have just accepted it as the nature of the machine. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John I'm glad to see it's getting some love. All my RF 112's seem to be hard starting. They just seem to want to crank a while before they fire. I have just accepted it as the nature of the machine. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Maybe cause it's the starter/generator? Never had one before so am not familiar with them. I found a place that can go over and rebuild it if needed up in Bullville, NY.
Mods, thank you for moving to correct forum. Had a senior moment when I started it in gear drive section.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Look's like a fun project! The tie rods appear to have been replaced at some point, They were originally adjustable just like the 110's.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
721 Posts
All of the 112's we have owned always fired right up usually within the first revolution of the flywheel, they actually start faster than my 110's.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look's like a fun project! The tie rods appear to have been replaced at some point, They were originally adjustable just like the 110's.
Looked on JD Parts and there were both. Adjustable up to SN #3550 and non-adjustable for SN#3551+.
Still kind of weird they would do that.

Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the 112's we have owned always fired right up usually within the first revolution of the flywheel, they actually start faster than my 110's.
It could be just connections/wiring/age but while I have it apart can't hurt to have S/G checked out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Looked on JD Parts and there were both. Adjustable up to SN #3550 and non-adjustable for SN#3551+.
Still kind of weird they would do that.
That is odd, I had never seen the none adjustable type on one until yours. Is the -3550 serial number for 1963 110's or 1966 112's?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is odd, I had never seen the none adjustable type on one until yours. Is the -3550 serial number for 1963 110's or 1966 112's?
112 & 112H up to SN 100,000 was where it was in JDParts. My SN is 017622M.

·
Registered
721 Posts
112 & 112H up to SN 100,000 was where it was in JDParts. My SN is 017622M.
Thanks, looks like 1967 is when they started using the non adjustable tie rods on both the 110 and 112. That would make sense because a 1967 110 is the only year of the 110 that I have never owned. We have owned about 4 1967 112's but the tie rods must have been replaced on them.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the starter/gen out along with battery box that also hold the VR and solenoid. Tagged wires so I know what is what even though I took pictures.

Picture bagged bolts/parts so far.

It looks like the generator bulb was painted red. Was that the norm?

·
Registered
498 Posts
The bulb had a red coating to make it appear red when lit.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Looking good!
Sucks that you got laid off.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking good!
Sucks that you got laid off.
Thanks 317.
Yes it does, but I've been looking and keeping busy with other off the books work. Life goes on.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got steering wheel off with bearing puller. Couple of turns and it popped right off. Sprayed with PB blaster last couple days so that may have helped.

Question.....is dash tower welded to frame? Right side has clip with bolt to frame. Left side has tab that appears to be welded to frame and tower. See pictures.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
My ‘67 112 took forever to start until I rebuilt it. Fresh HH100s start very quick.

Reactions: jd140 and DEERE317

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looked at parts diagram and there should be 4 tabs on pedestal that go thru frame and bolt from underneath. Will verify what I have later today when I do more teardown.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got engine out and steering column. Also removed variator from pedestal. Next up is variator and brake and lift linkage under frame. Will need to take a bunch of pictures for that. Picture before steering column came out.

The engine shouldn't need much work. It ran fine and no smoke, so I'll probably just pull the head, decarbon and put new head gasket, clean breather, carb clean, etc. and repaint. It'll keep me occupied til weather warms up to paint.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
1 - 20 of 97 Posts