Weekend Freedom Machines banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
As I recall, the early 112's came with "heavy duty" front spindles. The early 110's did not, but they were recommended for heavy front end loads. Read this somewhere in the '68 service or operator manual. I do believe all 140's came with that style spindle also. Eventually, the size was increased to 1.00 from the .750 diameter used on the earlier models.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I used small wire brush and steel wool to clean up this area then wiped it down with enamel reducer before paint. Looks fine and should be durable. Area is behind wheel and mostly hidden from view. It is susceptible to grease build up if spindle is over greased.

Doing a fine job ... Keep it going.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I used small wire brush and steel wool to clean up this area then wiped it down with enamel reducer before paint. Looks fine and should be durable. Area is behind wheel and mostly hidden from view. It is susceptible to grease build up if spindle is over greased.

Doing a fine job ... Keep it going.
Thanks. There was quite a bit of crud in between there. I have a Dremel with small wire wheel and some sand paper. Will get in between tonight. Hopefully get coat of primer on too.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I am not sure about the spindles on my 73 140 having those reinforcement gussets. They need to be added if they are not on the spindles.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I am not sure about the spindles on my 73 140 having those reinforcement gussets. They need to be added if they are not on the spindles.
My '73 140 doesn't have them either, but they are 1" compared to the earlier 3/4". Unless your putting a loader on or other heavier equipment hanging off the front I wouldn't worry about it. The 49 blower would not be an issue.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
My 140 is being refreshed to be a general purpose tractor. I already have a 332 with CTC loader so the 140 will not see a loader but may get a Category 1 3PH. I have no time for Category 0. With the cat 1 3PH I will probably need front weight to balance out the load. Continue with your post. I don't mean to side track you.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I believe the 1.00" spindle diameter was an update for newer model spindles and was strong enough to not require a gusset. '73 may have been the first year to feature the 1.00" and was probably the same for the 110 and 112. Just a guess, I did not take time to check part numbers.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I believe the 1.00" spindle diameter was an update for newer model spindles and was strong enough to not require a gusset. '73 may have been the first year to feature the 1.00" and was probably the same for the 110 and 112. Just a guess, I did not take time to check part numbers.

tommyhawk
Actually checked last night and SN 38001+ had 1" spindles for the 140s. Earlier had 3/4". Didn't check 110 or 112s. The diagram for earlier 3/4" showed the gussets.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Back to subject at hand.
Got the axle 95% cleaned up. Not worried about getting all the paint off since it has a rough finish. Just get surface rust and built up paint layers so I have good surface contact for the primer. Once that is done I give parts a good wash, air dry and put some primer on them tomorrow.

Hope the rain holds off. It's up to 80% chance after 2pm. I really don't have any inside space available I can use and don't want over spray on everything. Have to get them ready tonight for first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Well, getting the hub off didn't work as planned.
I was trying my best not to do what happened but axle came from inside tranny. Hub didn't move at all.

Hub is black from heating with torch.
Not sure if axle will come all the way out now without screwing stuff up inside tranny. Anyone have an idea?
Definitely going to have to split tranny now to fix things inside. Not what I was hoping to do and stretch out completion date.
I do have spare tranny from SF to throw underneath once I get frame ready.
Also no primer on front axle. It's just been too rainy and humid to do outside.

• Wow
Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Would this help?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Maybe the whole case. I had heated and soaked with Blaster for the past week and got nothing. Even used acetylene torch the last round before it happened.
Gonna have to make stand and put on its side and open up. Have to find the thread about tranny rebuild that was on here or MTF years ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This helps?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have these two videos bookmarked in case I need to get inside mine...

Part 1

Part 2

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I also have these two videos bookmarked in case I need to get inside mine...

Part 1

Part 2

Thanks, will probably need it. I printed out parts diagram/list to reference also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
But to your question... does not look like that was supposed to be pulled out like that...

Another video I had bookmarked on disassembly :

·
Registered
32 Posts
The axles are bolted together...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The axles are bolted together...

View attachment 268599
They are bolted together but there is a snap ring on the inside of each inside hub for each axle and that's what broke allowing the axle to slide out.

#7 in parts diagram.
At least that is what I think since axle is coming out of tranny and axle tube.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Look real close where the snap ring goes on the axle when you get it out. Had the same thing happen on my uncles WH GT14 when I took it apart to replace some bearings and seals. If your lucky the snap ring just popped off. In my case it took some of the splines behind it, allowing the snap ring to pop off with moderate pressure. I ended up doing some careful measuring and drilled a hole through the axle and installed a roll pin to keep the differential gear on the axle.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Look real close where the snap ring goes on the axle when you get it out. Had the same thing happen on my uncles WH GT14 when I took it apart to replace some bearings and seals. If your lucky the snap ring just popped off. In my case it took some of the splines behind it, allowing the snap ring to pop off with moderate pressure. I ended up doing some careful measuring and drilled a hole through the axle and installed a roll pin to keep the differential gear on the axle.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have several 2300 trannies so one could become a donor for parts if needed.

Reactions: jake_vc and wachuko
61 - 80 of 104 Posts