Weekend Freedom Machines banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Weather was decent tonight so put on coat of primer on spindles and axle before sun went down and dew started settling.

Then turned tranny on its side in prep for tear down. Also put up some shelving to get all the parts off the floor and somewhat organized. Shelves were in the garage and when we purged in there a couple month ago, they became available for use in the barn.

Then sprayed a bunch of Blaster in the turned up hub. Will let it sit and see if it soaks down thru and probably spray some more tomorrow if it does.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Patience paid off!!! Put the puller on the hub and it slid off with barely any effort. Took the shifter off and loosened all the case bolts. Now time to pull out the peerless manual.

Also put second coat of primer on axles and spindles since weather was cooler and a lot less humid. Tomorrow they go on top shelf with other primed parts. Next will be axle tubes and hubs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah baby!!!! Wohooo!!! (y)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Off track question.....
The shift cover is fiberglass. How should I prep this for painting? Sand with fine grit paper, prime and then paint? Also any idea for removing 1st gear tab without trashing anything?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I prepped mine as stated, but I left the blockout tab on. Swung tab down, laid a coat of paint where it covers, after a few days I swung it up into the block position and painted the piece. I finished it up by using a small paint brush and highlighting the numbers with yellow paint.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yours looks a lot better than the one on my JD 112...

I need to fix mine as well... I will need to learn how to work with resin and fiberglass cloth...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Yours looks a lot better than the one on my JD 112...

I need to fix mine as well... I will need to learn how to work with resin and fiberglass cloth...

View attachment 268766
Good luck!
My hood needs a little fiberglass repair in the front portion. Nothing missing, just cracked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good luck!
My hood needs a little fiberglass repair in the front portion. Nothing missing, just cracked.
Oh, I got missing pieces on the hood... Because of how much a new one costs, I will give it a try repairing it myself... if anything, I will have fun learning how to work fiberglass... ;)

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
1989 318
972 Posts
Wachujo...I would repair that one with a piece of aluminum angle glued inside to the top/front with some adhesive (epoxy perhaps) then fill with bondo. The angle piece will give it structural strength, then fill with the bondo, let dry, sand, repeat until happy. Happy restoration!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Oh, I got missing pieces on the hood... Because of how much a new one costs, I will give it a try repairing it myself... if anything, I will have fun learning how to work fiberglass... ;)
That's the way I look at. Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks.

• Haha
Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wachuko...I would repair that one with a piece of aluminum angle glued inside to the top/front with some adhesive (epoxy perhaps) then fill with bondo. The angle piece will give it structural strength, then fill with the bondo, let dry, sand, repeat until happy. Happy restoration!
Great idea! I will make it long enough to cover the slot area (and make matching slots on the aluminum). Might as well reinforce it all. Some epoxy should be better for strength. Cool!

·
Registered
1989 318
972 Posts
I use the 2-part JB-Weld for a lot of that type work rather than epoxy, I think it sticks better.

Reactions: lt230s and wachuko

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Finished sanding axle tubes, hubs and seat spring. Ready for priming tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be nice.
Got the courage to separate tranny also. Little scared of what I might see. Not as bad as I thought. Looks like some wear on the 3 gear but all others look good. Definitely need to clean up some rust and hope no pitting on shafts. Here are some pictures.
Top of case:

The inside guys.

Lastly, a shot of the full moon.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
It doesn't look that bad John, with the peerless and the 112 service manual they go back together pretty easy. I found that each manual had something different to offer, but the peerless was best.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
All the guts are out and labelled accordingly.

Here's the reason for tearing it apart. Broken snap ring and thrust washer when trying to get hub off.

Overall gears are not too bad shape. The 3 gear cluster has some wear on 2 bottom gears.

The shift rods and reverse idler gear have rust but should clean up ok.

One thing weird on axles. One side thrust washer and bearing while other had 2 thrust washers.

Time to check JD parts and get list going. Dealer is going to love this and wife won't.🤷

·
Registered
508 Posts
How did axles look on spline end where bearings ride? Don’t forget the detent springs on the shift forks. Gears don’t look bad to me. Pretty usual wear, especially considering most mowing is done in 3rd gear from my experience using variator for fine speed control. Looking good, keep up the nice job.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
How did axles look on spline end where bearings ride? Don’t forget the detent springs on the shift forks. Gears don’t look bad to me. Pretty usual wear, especially considering most mowing is done in 3rd gear from my experience using variator for fine speed control. Looking good, keep up the nice job.
Thanks
Splines look good and so do areas at bearings. Springs and balls will definitely be on the list. Will also be checking all the case bearings too once inside of case is cleaned up.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
No progress last couple days. We went camping with friends and had vehicle issue with major oil leak. Sent to dealer as it is still under warranty.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Cleaned up some of the internals of tranny tonight.
I think I might need to replace a few items. What I thought was surface rust turned out to be more. Major pitting on slide arms and idler gear.

The slides move back and forth nice over the pitting but I'm afraid there might be an issue later on. Same applies to the idler gear.
Meanwhile, axle ends cleaned up good.

I have 2 other trannies from SF that needed some work to rob parts from, but really didn't want to tear another apart if I could help it, but looks like I have no choice.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would not be scared to use any of those parts. As long as slides work good.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts