Weekend Freedom Machines banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I would not be scared to use any of those parts. As long as slides work good.
Pushing by hand they move nicely. I was surprised actually. Will still replace balls and springs just in case.
Have you seen worse and still in operation?

·
Registered
560 Posts
It is not uncommon for there to be some pitting and rust due to condensation or moisture in gear case. A thorough cleaning to remove rust is usually sufficient for a good operation of trans. I have used some that look worse. Definitely replace springs and balls. Be sure everything moves freely after sliding both case halves back together and as you tighten them up. You’re on the right track.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Not much to report tonight. Cleaned and sanded shifter rod and cover. Cleaned out both halves of case and will wire brush the outside tomorrow to get ready for primer. Got list ready to call dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Put the order in to JD this morning and got call back about noon with time and price. I included tie rods but took them off the order when I heard total cost. Will get them later on. Total for tranny parts including gaskets, detant balls, springs, snap rings, thrust washers and bearings came in at just under $300. Parts should be in by weekend.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Parts came in Thursday. Couldn't pick them up until Friday evening. Sorted them out tonight since I didn't have time all weekend due to other obligations.

Got a can of ag and turf green mainly to compare to other brands, especially due to the cost. I found that the valspar JD green was a close match in past projects but hard to find now. Plus it was less than half the price of the JD green.
Still have to finish cleaning the tranny case and then prime and start putting back together. I will put green on once everything is in and it's buttoned back. Hopefully by next weekend it will be back together.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I've got a good and understanding wife. Cleaning up the cases in kitchen sink, blew out with compressed air and then dried off with micro fiber towels. Will go over with acetone tomorrow to get any soap residue off and hopefully at least one coat of primer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You could find out if she's REALLLY understanding if you have a dishwasher. When I was much younger, and into import racing, one of my friends discovered that dishwashers do a helluva nice job degreasing cylinder heads. Lol.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
You could find out if she's REALLLY understanding if you have a dishwasher. When I was much younger, and into import racing, one of my friends discovered that dishwashers do a helluva nice job degreasing cylinder heads. Lol.
Yeah, I don't know about doing that.😆

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Not much to report. Couldn't prime as humidity is awful and on/off showers.
Started putting differential together. Then snap ring went flying and couldn't find it. I decided to quit for the night.
Will call tomorrow and have my son pick up a couple on his way home from work.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Thanks
Got differential back together and got cases primed with 2 coats. It was still humid but did not want them to start rusting. Luckily humidity dropped a bit after storms passed to the south of us.
They will get a chance to cure good since I won't get back to them until Saturday.
Also started sanding the back frame/hitch. Had to drill out broken bolt and retap.
No pictures as phone was in the house.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Back hitch/frame primed.
Everything is back in tranny case. Just have to put other half on and hope I got it back together correctly.
Hitch/frame before primer.

Gears all in tranny.

Going back out now to double check and put other side on.
Manual says nothing about putting anything(sealer) on gasket. Probably a good thing if I have to pull it apart.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Looking good John. Glad to see the old girl is getting some love.
Thanks Dan.
Nothing against you but see she needs a lot of love.😍 Some of it my doing especially with the tranny. I was hoping not to tear it apart but in a way glad I did.
Here's frame/hitch all primed.

Got the new balls/springs in the shift rods. Took a little trying to get them in but did. Old springs were definitely needing replacement. When putting case together had the idler in wrong spot. Then when putting axle housings on the whole differential kept sliding one way or other about 1/4". Thought I had put together wrong but once I got the housing tightened up all was good.
Found out I was missing the brake shaft seal. Per the parts diagram it is same seal as the axles, but on list they only note 2 are needed instead of 3. Will call tomorrow and hopefully they have in stock.
Here it is all back together. Shifts good with exception of reverse. Have to play with it to get it to catch. Hopefully not an issue.

Next up is the frame. Friend's sandblaster is down so looks like wire wheel and sander are gonna be getting a work out.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Picked up the brake shaft seal today during lunch, put it in when I got home and taped off axle splines, shafts to give prime touch up.

**** - Make note that JD Parts list only lists 2 seals (#M40676) required. It should be 3: 1 for each axle (total 2) and 1 for brake shaft.
This is for RF112s, but may also apply to RF & SF 110s so double check before ordering!

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Well after a week plus of camping, visiting our son in VA, finally got back to the 112.
While we were away my son finished sanding/wire brushing the frame. Cleaned it and dried off and it's ready for Bondo.

The back side is deeply pitted so going to fill in and sand before primer goes on. Hopefully get to that tomorrow night.
Here's close ups of the pitting.

Like I said before, this is not going to be showroom resto, but I do want it to look some what decent close up.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Got a little surprise from my son. Been busy with work and other stuff and found this when I came home late last night. He had pretty much finished up the Bondo on the frame.
Tool Gas Market Wood City

Just have to do some touch up and sanding and it should be ready for primer.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
First coat of primer on the frame.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Aircraft Aviation Automotive exterior

Have to pick up some more primer this weekend. Then tore into the steering column. Very surprised what good shape it was in. Only bad thing was the felt seal was shot and some rust at top of steering column. Bearings seemed good but will probably order new ones along with felt seal. Here some pics.
Auto part Gear Engineering Metal Machine

Wood Gas Dishware Jewellery Circle

Wood Automotive tire Artifact Tints and shades Gas

Wood Cylinder Metal Tints and shades Composite material

Cylinder Gas Composite material Natural material Metal

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Ordered parts this morning. Should be in middle of next week. I did not get the bearings. After cleaning them up they were in good shape and tight fitting in the race with no wobbling or play.
For note, I asked about the dash decal and that was $45 and available. I checked on HAPCO site for complete decal set in stock for $155. I will probably go that route. Dash decal is $40.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Wire wheeled some more parts tonight. Flywheel pulley, tranny pulley, and idler pulley cover.
Idler pulley has some rust thru on it. Nothing major but needs fixing.
I'm thinking of taping outside and putting JB Weld on inside. Sand it down and see how it comes out. Here's some pictures. This the worst one of three.
Outside of cover:
Wood Terrestrial plant Wood stain Hardwood Plant pathology

Inside of cover:
Wood Terrestrial plant Gas Metalworking hand tool Tool

If anyone has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Reactions: DEERE317
101 - 120 of 127 Posts