Weekend Freedom Machines banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
JB Weld has always been my friend... but that is because I am not skilled on welding... I have the tools/equipment, but have not developed the skill to fix thin material...

Reactions: dhager4692

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
JB Weld has always been my friend... but that is because I am not skilled on welding... I have the tools/equipment, but have not developed the skill to fix thin material...
I'm with you. My son welds but he is not skilled enough for this, what I call sheet metal work (auto body restoration). In my opinion this is small beans with what I have.
Only other major body work is the hood and that will test my fiberglass skills, which aren't the best either. Now that I think about painting isn't my strong point either. Oh well!

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
560 Posts
You could probably pick up a nice used one and save yourself some time and worry with trying to repair the rusted holes.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
You could probably pick up a nice used one and save yourself some time and worry with trying to repair the rusted holes.
I could but what fun would that be? This old dog likes learning new trick/skills. It's not a time sensitive project. If it doesn't work out then there's always that option.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Copper strips can be your friend. Thick ones to help back your welds and disperse heat.

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Put the JB weld on tonight. Will let it cure for 24 hours and see how it comes out. Started to clean some other parts until got pulled away with household issue. Clogged drain pipe from kitchen sink. Snaked it out and all good. Need to change pipe size. It's 1-1/2" for about 25' until it connects to 2" from washing machine. Next project on the list.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Parts came in today, but my son wasn't able to get there by closing time. I tried calling about 4:45 but no answer so they must have left early. They will leave parts outside for you if they know ahead of time. Oh well.
The seal for steering is NLA. It's foam material. So I had some tool drawer cushion left over and took a look at it. Looks very similar and about right thickness so will try it.
Sleeve Wood Yellow Font Rectangle

Fish Tail Fin Wire Auto part

Sanded down the JB weld on idler cover. Started with 60, then 120, and finished up with 220 grit.
Here's pic in between 120 and 220.
Food Plant Fruit Terrestrial plant Natural foods

Rectangle Finger Tints and shades Wood Nail

I think it came out pretty good. Will know better once primer goes on.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
121 - 127 of 127 Posts