Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The frame has been blasted cracks welded pitting bonded primed and painted. Everything has been removed and blasted primed and painted with JD paint and hardener. I am amazed how much better the paint looks with the hardener in it all i have to do is paint the fenders, seat, fix a crack in the hood and paint it. I went through the entire parts catalog and ordered all stainless fasteners which should be here this week. When i start putting it all back together is there anything that needs to be done in a particular order? I will probably just go in the reverse order that i took it apart in unless there is something crazy that I need to look out for.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Where everything goes! I'm finding my memory isn't what it used to be,when it comes to reassembling. Luckily I have a second tractor to reference from

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a good portion of it assembled, still have the engine, electrical, and tranny to install. on the engine i am obviously painting all of the tins/shrouds green but what color was the engine and head from the factory? I thought about painting the block satin engine black and the tins jd green for some contrast but who knows.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
I was told by my JD parts guy,that Everything was green on these tractors up until the 70's

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Sorry,that's right John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to replace the head bolts, hardened washers, and belleville washers with new, according to jdparts they are a grade 8 bolt will any grade 8 bolt work as long as it matches the lengths?

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Are you sure they are not grade 5s? Yes you can use any bolt of the proper length, threads and strength. I find when I need grade 5 and 8 bolts my JD dealer is cheaper than most of the other local sources. If I buy the pound the local farm store is cheaper but you have to buy at least one pounds worth. Roger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.