Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 68 140 there was a hole in the hood from the gas tank straps rubbing on the hood. They were positioned at the top front of the tank. I put them back that way as the OP didn't have the front bezel and hood stands positioned properly. I don't assume anything about this tractor assembly was correct. While looking at the OMM for the 68, It shows the tank straps bolts are centered on the bottom of the tank and it shows that the fuel bowl is on the right side with the shutoff facing outward. That would require a longer gas hose. But would make sense, as the shutoff is reasonably located. I don't want to put decals on the tank and have the tank be in backwards. Waiting on an ignition switch and fuel bowl assembly so have to remove it anyway. I am close to driving it around!

Anyone have experience with what it should look like on a 5XXX serial number?

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but the 68 OMM shows straps bottom toward front and have the fuel bowl on left. The PC1078 has bottom centered straps with the older fuel bowl in a square, so no idea there. The SM2086 has the strap bolts on the bottom on one side and the SM 2086 has them toward the bottom front side with the strainer appearing to be on the left side. The 68 seems to be a different animal in many respects.

· Registered
8,982 Posts
The '68 140's are kinda like the '68 Corvettes. First year for the C3 models too. There's some unique things about them too.

· Registered
886 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice corvettes! Are they all yours? I have a 67 L79 327/350hp coupe.
Yes, I have had them for years. I bought the 85 new in Nov 84. It is a loaded 4+3. Has 10K miles on it and a survivor. The other 2 midyears were project cars. The silver is a 350hp 327 I bought in 86. Ground up restoration. The silver blue 64 was originally a 365 horse car. the PO was building a race car project and lost interest. It was already painted and had a 427 with it on an engine stand. So, I modified the front crossmember to allow for the BB dampener and just put it in. It had 4:56 gears so not very fun to drive. I put 3:08s in it and now a lot more fun. The PO didn't do a very good job with detail on the bodywork, but the paint is perfect. Problem is that is maxed out on hydraulic cam and gets like six MPG. One of these days maybe I'll restore it. Should be a red on red car.

· Registered
886 Posts
Yes, I have had them for years. I bought the 85 new in Nov 84. It is a loaded 4+3. Has 10K miles on it and a survivor. The other 2 midyears were project cars. The silver is a 350hp 327 I bought in 86. Ground up restoration. The silver blue 64 was originally a 365 horse car. the PO was building a race car project and lost interest. It was already painted and had a 427 with it on an engine stand. So, I modified the front crossmember to allow for the BB dampener and just put it in. It had 4:56 gears so not very fun to drive. I put 3:08s in it and now a lot more fun. The PO didn't do a very good job with detail on the bodywork, but the paint is perfect. Problem is that is maxed out on hydraulic cam and gets like six MPG. One of these days maybe I'll restore it. Should be a red on red car.
They look really nice! My Dad just bought a 1964 that was originally a 365hp car.

· Registered
886 Posts
Here are some photos of the tank on my very early 1968 140 #1075. The strap bolts are located on the bottom back side and the fuel shutoff is located on the left side (sitting on tractor).

Attachments

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome tractor! Thanks! That is the way I will put them. It looks like the lifting eye has wires and a clip to hold them. Was wondering if that is how the headlight wires were routed? The green wire on mine just seemed to flail out there. It seemed illogical to route it up the hook stand next to exhaust. I moved it to top, but had to add to it to compensate for hood opening. Nice Tractor!

· Registered
8,982 Posts
I have a '76 with a nostalgic history for me. I was looking to buy a car back in 1973 and tried out a '64 Vette 4 speed ragtop. At some point the stock 327 engine had been replaced with a 427 but that was considered a desirable upgrade back then. Hardly anybody cared about originality. I was 18 at the time. I can still hear the insurance agent laughing when I enquired about how much it would be for coverage. :rolleyes: :D

Now, I can relate to that! View attachment 285696

Reactions: jd140

· Registered
8,982 Posts
My old Vette. Exact same car as my dad's best buddy had. Drove his when I was a young guy. He let me have it for a sunny summer Sunday. Finally found one the same and bought it back in '09. His was bone stock with a whopping 180 HP. Mine was a dog too till it got a new crate engine that's rated at 300 HP. Mild shift kit and will chirp the tires going into 2nd. Launching it is pretty simple. Put it in drive, stand on the gas and brakes a bit then when it's go time just floor it. Doesn't spin the tires off the line. Just squats and goes like a scalded rocket. Nifty gee force sensation.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

Reactions: jd140

· Registered
886 Posts
Awesome tractor! Thanks! That is the way I will put them. It looks like the lifting eye has wires and a clip to hold them. Was wondering if that is how the headlight wires were routed? The green wire on mine just seemed to flail out there. It seemed illogical to route it up the hook stand next to exhaust. I moved it to top, but had to add to it to compensate for hood opening. Nice Tractor!

Thanks! Yes, that is how the headlight wires were routed on this one.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put a new magneto coil in this one and when I tried to fire, no spark. Thought it might be the stator, but the stator is putting out about 26V on stator AC leads to rectifier. New coil must have been DOA. Had to change to battery ignition and probably won't fix until I have to remove motor again. Mounted coil to lifting eye but can route thru coil mounting bracket on top. Really appreciate your expertise!

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
'76. The C3's aren't worth a lot these days but it's mine and I love the darn thing.
Tell me about it! I bought a new '79 when I lived in Germany thru AAFES for 10K loaded. Drove it for 6 years and 60K miles and sold it for 10k. I bought the '85 for like 24K. Waited for TPI instead of the old injection. Probably worth a third of that today. Oh, well....not that important. As my father-in-law used to say, "It is only money....it's not important until you don't have any!"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts