Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 68 running and there seems to be a leak on the qundrant shaft under the transmission. Not bad, but creates a spot. Looking in the PC1078 it appears there are two o-rings that seal this shaft. Since it is on the bottom, can these be replaced without draining all the hydraulic fluid or is it required. Anyone have any experience replacing these?

· Registered
5,074 Posts
what page of PC1078 ?

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I bought the 2 o-rings several years ago and the leak seemed to get less and less. This year it's worse again. I haven't replaced them yet, but looking at it I don't think it needs to be drained. There will be some fluid drain out, but since it's just the pump, it shouldn't be much. If I ever get around to it, I'll post the results.
Tom

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have sort of gotten soured to the PC1078 as it relates to hydraulics. I ordered a pump fitting, the straight one on the side from JD. When I received it, the one in the pump and the JD replacement didn't even have the same TPI on the threads. Went to local hydraulics shop and bought the right one with the o-ring for 4.00. He called the threads on the pump fitting "a five" which didn't mean much to me. The original one required an O-ring on the flair (which wasn't on it when I took it off (probably why leaking). He sold me one that didn't require the o-ring. But, no longer leaking from fitting.
I will probably just take the o-rings off the quadrant and take them to him to match them up instead of worrying about JD part numbers.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I replaced the o-rings with the pump still in the tractor. It's a straight forward job. The only issue was getting the roll pin out. I used a long rod from the rear of the tractor to drive it out. A second set of hands helps a lot. The 3 bolts are 1/4", 12 point. Very little fluid drips out.
Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts