Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manuals are not clear on what fills the space between the steering wheel and column. It looks like something needs to fill the void between the column and the steering wheel. There is what appears to be plastic bearing at the top of column that has a ring molded into it that would hold a spacer of some sort. Anyone have an idea of what, if anything, goes in there?

· Registered
5,072 Posts
this should help

Product Font Parallel Rectangle Auto part

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, but i have the parts manual, the SM 2086 and the SM 2093. When I look up the part numbers associated with the steering column, there does not appear to be a part that separates the steering wheel from the column. Haven't found a part that would bridge the gap.

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
If your 140 is a 1968, it should be below SN10,000. The parts needed are all called out in the PC1078 -- but I am going to post that page here for easy discussion:
Font Slope Parallel Rectangle Pattern

The grommet #5 fills the space between the underside of the wheel and the top of the steering column. The steering shaft is held concentric with the column by either the bushing #9 and bearing #10 (later models above 10,000) -- or by the stack of the washer, spacer, and retainer #s 6, 7 and 8 on top of the bearing #10 if your SN is below 10,000, as your 1968 should be.

Chuck

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Me too...sorry for any confusion. I have not had a 140 tractor for many years now, and was just going by the diagram. Several 140s have passed through my herd, including one 1969 -- but I never had the steering apart to become aware of what, if anything, goes there.

Nothing else is shown above in the drawing...maybe a more expert member with more direct/current knowledge can chime in here.

Chuck

· Registered
1,284 Posts
On my 140 the steering wheel has a lip on the bottom, so the column can come up into it. So no gap really.

I have the original stuff (converted to power steering) and I have the column and wheel off a 210.

I have seen a thick foam washer kind of thing somewhere, is that maybe what you are looking for?

If so, find your local Joann fabrics, and go to the craft section. You will find sheets of black closed cell foam in roughly the size of a sheet of paper by 1/4" thick. Start cutting some donuts and fill your gap. Stash that piece of foam somewhere safe because you'll find another use for it. (I used a business card sized piece glued to a wood block to "paint" the letters on my vise, like a stamp pad). I originally got the foam to make gaskets for a VW tail light. Worked great.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good info/tip. The foam donut/washer fits inside top of steering wheel hub after you install/tighten the nut.
Thanks all! I have some 1/2" rubber matting from Rural King that I used to make a floor mat for my '97 Turf Gator. A hole saw works like a champ on that stuff. Think I'll just cut out a piece from scrap and contour it to cover the void.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts