Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 70 i'm working on and the second drive belt jumped off the front pulley and is jammed on the right side and I can't get it around the pulley. I took the four bolts on right side that holds that pulley bracket along with the 3 pulley guards that fasten to the bottom of the frame. How do I get enough room to get the belt free? How do you get the belt off the pulley on transmission? Dose anyone have the belt replacement part of the manual they could E-mail me [email protected], Thanks

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
You have to get the first belt and 2 guards off to replace the secondary belt. You also would have much better luck if you had an owners manual. The 4 bolt pulley does not need to come off and probably makes it harder to do if it is off. See if a dealer will copy the procedure for you. Welcome to WFM from the land of CCs. Roger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the secondary pulley jumped off it jammed itself down in the right side of the pulley and I don't have enough room to get it un-jammed and pull it forward. I see where the other belt would have to come off to get the belt out as it must move to the left of the pulley to come off. I can move the belt almost to line up with the middle of the pulley hen I had the four bolts out. What size belt are those 2 belts? I may have to cut it to get it out. The PO might have the wrong size belt on there and that is what caused it to jump off. It is a JD belt that is on it. I just looked at the transmission pulley and there seems to be enough room to get the belt off it if I remove the pulley guard and I can push the belt forward to get a good hold of it to un-jam it.

I Need to also know the belt size for the 34" deck. The PO had the wrong belt wrapped the wrong way. I bought a 1/2 x 52 and that was to short and the 1/2 x 54 works but it appears to really need a 1/2 x 53. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After taking the transmission pulley guards off I was able to get the belt off the rear pulley and get enough belt to grab it and pull it loose. The belt is a 3/8" and I think that is the reason that it jumped was that belt should be 1/2". Can anyone check and find the belt part number and size. No way that belt should jump off with 5 belt guards. That is a dumb set up to have the idler pulley running on the "V" side of the belt? I don't have a JD dealer closer than 25 miles so I need that belt part number. Looks like fun getting that primary belt off to replace the secondary belt. Anyone have any tips or hints to make it easier.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
If you want it to work right get the belts from JD. The angle of the belts is different and they don't work well if not from JD. They also are about the same price as any good kevlar belt. If you want to look up the part numbers and prices at a local dealer go to www.jdparts.com and join. It is free and will allow you to see if the dealer stocks the belt of it will need to be ordered. It will also allow you to see the size of the belt when you look up the price. I believe you could get the belt loose and out of the jammed area if you took the belt off the transmission pulley. That would give you more room to work. It is easier to do most of this with the fender deck of. It is only 4 bolts to remove the fenders. Roger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Roger, Thanks for the link www.jdparts.com where I found the parts breakdown of the 70 and model 34 deck I couldn't figure out. I got the primary and secondary JD belts which the dealer wanted $22 from a good belt site for $2 more including shipping. I couldn't figure out how the belt tensioner worked on the 34 deck till I seen the parts breakdown. I had the correct belt but the tensioner was rusted up and not moving and the small spring was broken which the JD dealer has in stock. Should get it running and cutting next week.

Thanks for everyone's help

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Bill,
Welcome to WFM and to JD. Nice to see you here.

For parts and the proper part numbers, register at JD Parts as Roger indicated. You can also go to one of our sponsors, Keeping it Green, who has a nice breakdown of replacement parts for each JD model. You can also order online there. It's Keeping It Green. Prices are equal if not better than your JD dealer.

Here is about every common replacement part list for your 70: Keeping it Green 70 List. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.