Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had this 70 tractor with Tecumseh engine for a couple of weeks. I'm not the first one to work with the governor-to-carburetor linkage, so I have no home base to go back to. When the throttle plate is opened just a bit, it goes way overspeed - like to 4,000 maybe 5,000 rpm. I've been through the carb, soaked it out, run a fine wire thru all passages possible, blew it out, used spray-can carb cleaner, etc. along with properly setting the float level. The return-to-closed torsion spring on the throttle plate shaft is OK. Governor shaft, arm and throttle shaft are all set at full CCW, throttle plate closed, as should be. I've tried many adjustments to the governor to throttle push open "rod." I've also tried many adjustments to the governor pull open wire with spring. What am I missing?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With both links between the carb and governor disconnected, I feel the governor generating no throttle-closing force as the engine's speed increases. I conclude the governor must be "shot". Concur?

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Read through the post below this one. It is possible the governor is broken but you have to take the engine off, turn it upside down and pull the sump cover to see if and or what is broken. You should download the engine manual talked about in the other post and make it you bible when repairing a Tecumseh. They are good engines if repaired by the book. They are a nightmare if you don't follow the book. Roger

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does your throttle linkage have the proper spring on it? I believe if it does not have the linkage like in this picture with the spring it will not return properly. I had this same problem with my 60 until I corrected the linkage. you could also refer to my "60 questions" thread for more pictures

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It had a spring on it when I got it. I bought a new spring at the local JD shop. It's the same as the old one. Say, when the instructions say to put the line-up wire through the three holes all stacked vertically, which hole is being referred to on the choke lever? There's three holes in my choke lever to choose from!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger, I've downloaded manual and have Deere tech manual too. Pictures aren't clear enough to identify which hole. I now have the engine apart and sure enough, the governor has pretty much devoured itself due to overspeed. I'm reminded of the famous one-liner in the old Pogo comic strip, "We've met the enemy and they is us!".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.