Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of the last mowing season the PTO on my 71 140 stopped working. I searched the forum for clues as to what might be wrong. I chose the switch first since it was the easiest to test and cheapest to replace if it turned out to be the issue. I first used the multimeter on the poles of the switch, and got no readings. At this point I assumed that I had found the problem. I called JD for a new switch, and they said that they would hold one for me. . When I got to the dealer it turned out that they didn't actually have a switch that would fit. When I got home I decided to find out how the switch worked. When I got it opened up I found a piece of clear plastic (red arrow) that was broken. That component gave the thin brass plate (black arrow) enough rigidity to keep contact with the poles on the cover plate. I measured the plastic piece and made a solid model of it. That allowed me to use a plastic printer to make a new one.

Gas Cylinder Auto part Metal Engineering
Rectangle Font Circle Event Metal

So for 17 cents of plastic wire I was able to make a 52 year old switch continue doing its job. I have held the switch together with zip ties until I am sure that this is a long term fix. If anyone else runs into this scenario let me know because like any good tool maker I made 2 extras, just in case.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
does anyone know how to delete a duplicate post? I originally hit the post button, but it never showed that it actually posted, so I gave it plenty of time and hit it again. Now as you can see there are 2.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Well, you can go to post you want to delete...click on the three little vertical dots in the upper right corner, select Edit, and then essentially delete the content with your keyboard, and then type in something like Duplicate Post, Mods please Delete and they'll take care of it. I'm not smart enough to know if there is indeed a Delete post option, or how to use it...I R an Aggie afterall.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Well, you can go to post you want to delete...click on the three little vertical dots in the upper right corner, select Edit, and then essentially delete the content with your keyboard, and then type in something like Duplicate Post, Mods please Delete and they'll take care of it. I'm not smart enough to know if there is indeed a Delete post option, or how to use it...I R an Aggie afterall.
. That’s about it, you can always click on the edit three dots to report the post and draw attention quicker to get the post deleted ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts