Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 83 318 (1080 hrs with >100 psi compression) and 48” replacement deck for $250. I’ve previously owned a 65 RF, 2-316s (Onan), 300 (23 hp Vanguard) and 3 420s one with a 44 loader. All gone except for a 420 with a rebuilt Onan. My first engine rebuild and still running well after 200 hrs. These Onans sound great after a fresh rebuild.
Curious to compare the 318 to the 420. Sorted out the 318 except for a broken brake shoe spring. I tried but couldn’t get the wheel hub off. My guess is the there is a lip on the shoes making extremely difficult to pull. May need a press. In any case all metal has been painted including wheels and waiting for paInt to cure before reassembly. Will add Mylar when I need to remove the engine.

One missing item that I can’t find easily at JD, local hardware store and TS is what I believe is the 9/16-18 thin jam nut for the fuel valve. Anyone willing to ship me one or direct me to a place to order it preferably with the catalog #?
Thanks.
F31349A3-8FAF-4283-80D1-10FF8FDED694.jpeg
505046AD-6A90-4F7D-9C59-9E2D2A2AAFDC.jpeg

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I think Radio Shack has the nuts you are asking about. I have bought electrical switches from them and believe the nuts were sold separately.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Randy and Gabby. I’ll continue the search but trying to avoid wasting more time looking for this part. Still hoping someone has a bunch laying around and willing to part with one;)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If you have a Radio Shack store still around or you will have to order online. Gilroy's, Ace, Home Depot, Lowes are some hardware stores to check. Then try Electrical distributors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked up an 83 318 (1080 hrs with >100 psi compression) and 48” replacement deck for $250. I’ve previously owned a 65 RF, 2-316s (Onan), 300 (23 hp Vanguard) and 3 420s one with a 44 loader. All gone except for a 420 with a rebuilt Onan. My first engine rebuild and still running well after 200 hrs. These Onans sound great after a fresh rebuild.
Curious to compare the 318 to the 420. Sorted out the 318 except for a broken brake shoe spring. I tried but couldn’t get the wheel hub off. My guess is the there is a lip on the shoes making extremely difficult to pull. May need a press. In any case all metal has been painted including wheels and waiting for paInt to cure before reassembly. Will add Mylar when I need to remove the engine.

One missing item that I can’t find easily at JD, local hardware store and TS is what I believe is the 9/16-18 thin jam nut for the fuel valve. Anyone willing to ship me one or direct me to a place to order it preferably with the catalog #?
Thanks. View attachment 258403 View attachment 258404

·
Registered
4 Posts
Click on the "green letters McMaster Carr"..will take you to 9/16 wrench size panel nuts. If not what you need...type in "jam nuts" in search box.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ron for the link. I picked up a OEM light switch and disappointed that a jam nut was not included. The original jam nut does not fit so on the hunt for this too. Once I determine the jam nut specs for the fuel valve, PTO, headlight switch and ignition switch I’ll place the order with McMaster. Once I confirm that they new jam nuts fit I’ll post the product # to save others from wasting time sorting this out. I just might sell them for a profit 😝.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts