Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about ready to go with the Splash swap. I haven't worked in a confined space like that since my `96 ext cab Splash over 10 years ago. That little truck was stupid fast and somewhat dangerous with a 347 stroker in it. No posi either.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck

I had a 1990 V8 Ranger too. My wife blew the V6 up (head gasket) and a 302 replaced it. I put the wheels from it on the 347 Ranger. My brother had an `88 V8 Ranger too so it must be genetic.

Metric tools ready.. Check!
Garage Workshop Machine Building Basement

Hoist operational but not permanently wired yet.. Check!
Automobile repair shop Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior Service

Panama license plates to fool the cops.. Check!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Family car

Cherry picker ready.. Check! I already pulled the V6 out but I still have to yank the engine out of the `96 Explorer donor. I'm not using that 5.0 but I want everything off it, especially the accessories which are are shorter than usual so Ford could fit a V8 in the Explorer. The top row of shelves in the background is all 5.0 parts from my `90 Mustang. Bought it new but it came to an untimely end. I kept the 5.0 HO EFI engine and 5 speed tranny. That's what I'm using for this Splash. My previous Rangers had carbs.
Vehicle Tool Car

·
Registered
345 Posts
This will be an interesting thread.I just installed an Atlas lift last year but I had to go with a base plate model due to my jib crane.It sure changed my world around.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far so good with the Atlas lift John. Definitely a game changer aren't they? I have an old Atlas compressor in the back corner too (3rd pic). I put a newer pump on it but the 2 HP industrial type motor is original. It only runs at about half the RPM my newer 5 HP Eagle huffer does but it keeps up just as well as for sandblasting. It was a dull greyish color when I got it so I painted it 'Atlas' blue.

This little 5.0L Ranger would be a dead ringer for mine except for the hood scoops and wheels. I like that style of hood scoop a lot, just not the obviously fake stick on type. It's actually similar to my favourite hood ever, which is the rally sport style that was on my 70 Cuda. It was equally cool from the driver's seat or seeing it from the outside. I also took the topper off my truck. Gonna get a tonneau cover.
https://www.montrealracing.com/wp/wp...s-photography/
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

I'm going with the exact same Torque Thrust wheels as these except I'm putting 15x10's on the back and 15x8's on the front with big fat tires.
Click image for larger version.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First day back on the Splash project and the weather this week is supposed to be like Texas tMac's. Not nearly as hot but sweltering for outside work. Not enough to stop me though.

I had my heart set on an AC Cobra kit car when I retired then changed my mind because they're about as practical as my old Vette. Which is to say not at all! No more seating room in the Splash but at least the box will be handy for passengers. I wish my mother-in-law was still with us, heh heh!
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive super charger part

I'm still teetering on the colour. This is one option..

So are these. I like this Boss 429 in Grabber blue but I like John Deere yellow even more.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

Reactions: jd195350

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
See alot of the yellow now, more so on the new camero's.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
First day back on the Splash project and the weather this week is supposed to be like Texas tMac's. Not nearly as hot but sweltering for outside work. Not enough to stop me though.

I had my heart set on an AC Cobra kit car when I retired then changed my mind because they're about as practical as my old Vette. Which is to say not at all! No more seating room in the Splash but at least the box will be handy for passengers. I wish my mother-in-law was still with us, heh heh!

I'm still teetering on the colour. This is one option..

So are these. I like this Boss 429 in Grabber blue but I like John Deere yellow even more.
Army, go with what ever your heart desires. It's your vehicle.

This is my son's '87 Ranger that he got from his grandfather. He put 5.0L mustang motor, 4 speed in it. Lots of mods needed to make things work and he is still tweeking it. It was fuel injected, but changed over to carb. This is where he got the lesson with the timing light when he was having firing issues.
I'll post a before picture of it tonight since that's on my home PC.
Edit:
Here's before picture. He got it from Grandpa when he was 14-15 years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is just plain cool John. I don't have my grandpa's truck but I have my father's and it's exactly like my grandfather's. I didn't realize how nostalgic I am till I got older. Maybe you younger guys should keep stuff you might not hang on to otherwise for later.
This is my son's '87 Ranger that he got from his grandfather.
My plan of attack is..

1. Clean all the surface rust off the frame from the cab on back. I left the cab floor area oiled the way it was when I got it. It's very good as is with zero rust. Zero rust in the engine bay too. The rear frame has some surface rust above where the spare tire was and on top of the frame where the oil didn't get to. Nothing serious but I'll be a few days getting rid of it with a wire wheel attachment. Then I'm gonna paint it flat black, wait till it cures and then oil the snot out of it. This truck will be a daily driver. Probably won't take it out in the winter but I want it oiled up anyway.

Note: I'm gonna put an 8.8"rear end with taller gears in the truck out of a 4L Ranger (they already have the correct spring perches) so no need to clean and paint the 7.5" in it now. My first `96 Splash had 3:73 gears and it would plant you firmly back in the seat. I'm looking forward to that. I'm keeping the rear springs but I'm gonna get new rear (bolt-on) perches though. The existing ones have badly rusted nuts and bolts on the rear spring shackles even though the truck was oiled every year. It'll likely be easier to just cut them off.

2. Test fit the engine. I expect some creative cussing to occur at this point. I have Jeg's V8 install kit and also everything off the Explorer. Whatever will work the best will be used. Nice the heater box doesn't have to be modded like the other trucks. I'm gonna use the Explorer AC and heater parts. If you look at the V8 installed in the `96 Explorer over you'll see Ford could have easily put a 302 in the Ranger. It's the exact same engine bay as the `96 Splash. Crummy dark pic of the Explorer engine bay, sorry. The accessories are all shorter than than Mustang ones and the rad fits nicely under the rad support. It's still good too. Maybe it was replaced at some point. All the emissions stuff will be re-used too. Also a pair of high flow cats. No etests here now so I could go with a carb but technically a vehicle still has to have the emissions equipment for that model year on it so I'm gonna give the EFI the old college try and see how it goes.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

3. Totally clean up the front suspension, axle etc and paint them too. Gonna oil that stuff too. I have new rotors on the shelf for the front brakes and I'm gonna go with all new pads and brake lines. Probably gas line(s) too. Depends on what they're like. I have stainless steel tubing that would work. I have the tool to do it but I'm not keen on doing the bending work. Both vehicles have a return line to the tank so it would be double the trouble.

·
Premium Member
8,898 Posts
Army,

I also think the yellow would look good, and it should show the dust you are going to raise with that truck as well as a shiny black would... :lol:

Chuck

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's another reason I'm thinking of changing color Chuck. I washed my black 01 Edge so many times the paint should be worn off. You never see people with a brown truck do that, oddly enough.

Never mentioned it before but I always think of you as Professor Peabody from Rocky and Bullwinkle. Your Wayback Machine of the mind and a genius for solving vintage JD electrical issues has made you a highly regarded member here.

Line art White Cartoon Nose Head

·
Registered
736 Posts
Army, I know what you mean about passengers in the truck bed. "
I had my heart set on an AC Cobra kit car when I retired then changed my mind because they're about as practical as my old Vette. Which is to say not at all! No more seating room in the Splash but at least the box will be handy for passengers. I wish my mother-in-law was still with us, heh heh!"

My regular cab, short bed GMC truck can hold 3 in the front seat, and 10 in the back (Stacked like Firewood) in the Non-Smoking Section:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

·
Registered
522 Posts
Army, I have a friend that bought a black 1961 Ford Starliner new and he still has it. He says that "Black is the prettiest color there is - for 15 minutes"

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A `61 Starliner? Wow. Very very rare, especially black. My `96 Splash will be a lot easier to wash. My Edge was taller and I had to use a box to get up and do the roof.

Hey Don, that's a really nice BLACK Deere hauler (heh heh!). Looks like it has about 1 mile on it. I'd gladly wash that truck every day. I still might leave mine black. I'm like a little boy who can't decide which flavor of ice cream he wants. Same length and seating as your GM so I can only squeeze 3 in my F150 no matter what angle it's on.

My Ranger will only handle 3 if they're skinny and like each other a lot. It's only good for vertical rides right now anyway.
Vehicle Automobile repair shop Car Automotive tire Engine

Today I did some test wire wheeling with a drill to see what I can expect with the frame cleanup. There's some pitting on the top where the oil never got to, more than I recall actually. The truck was on the hoist for 6 months with stuff parked under it so I hadn't looked at the top for a while. It's still plenty strong enough and the pitting will be invisible when I put the truck together but it still kinda bugs me. My plan is to take everything off the frame, strip off the rust, then paint it (not shiny) black, then oil the heck out of it. Not gonna touch the frame under the cab. It's excellent just the way it is.
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine

Auto part Fictional character

After that I got the gas tank cleaned up. It was a tar-like mess but underneath that it was pretty good.
Vehicle Luxury vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

2 hours later after liberal amounts of WD-40 and elbow grease. The fuel pump works fine but the fuel line connections are brittle from corrosion. No oil got to them. The `93 Splash has an almost new pump in it (I know that because I installed it) so I'm gonna pull the box off it and switch pumps.
Auto part Engine Vehicle

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I recovered 12 gallons of gas from the tank btw. Free mower gas for a month. I also got some gas in my mouth when I primed the siphon hose. I spit and flushed and cussed for 10 minutes or so but no harm done. It tasted like 100 proof Jamaican rum mixed with mouthwash. According to my taste buds anyway.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ever notice how much more detail you see in pics vs being there? Or is it just me? There's still some goo left on the shiny heat insulating material on the tank tank. I didn't see it till I posted that pic. Same thing happens with swap meets and shows. I always see way more stuff in the pics than I do walking around. One year I was looking for a 1650 Cub Cadet oil pan (with good threads) at Portland. Didn't even see one but I saw 6 piled under a table in the pics when I got home though.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turned out what I thought was leftover grime on the shiny heat shield on the gas tank was actually just the dark greenish border. I stand behind what I said about pics though. If you're thinking of buying a vehicle either hand wash it or take close up pics of it before you do. You'll see stuff you might not otherwise.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty sure this is the dirtiest my face has ever been. This pic doesn't actually do it justice. I was removing orange-ish surface rust with a drill and wire wheel and it was hot sweaty work so it really stuck to me. My wife didn't say anything when I went in the house so I didn't realize how bad it was till I looked in the mirror. She was snickering when I came out of the bathroom though. Said she never noticed. Hah! Whatever! (I ain't stupid. I just look that way).

Face Hair Facial hair Head Beard

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Talk about rose colored glasses... the pitting seems worse every time I look at it. I ground off the rivet heads and removed the brace over the axle yesterday. Closer inspection revealed a crack in it and it's also pretty thin in one area. I think that should be it for the worst stuff but we'll see. The Splash has the same oiling issues I've seen a number of times on pickups. The spare tire and the gas tank (and the receiver hitch if it has one) are always in the way of a proper oiling job and the top of the frame gets hardly any oil on it. It's frustrating because the areas that did get oiled are day 1 clean rust free steel. I'll have to replace that cross member and I don't weld so I'm gonna get the pro guy down the road to do it. He likes doing small jobs.
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine

I bolted a chunk of 5/8 all thread between the frame rails before I removed the brace. Probably wouldn't move but why not make sure it can't?
Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car Engine

·
Registered
736 Posts
Rookie question: How do you "Oil" the frame? Use a spray bottle, wipe with oily rag, or whatever.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Usually with an air powered siphon type sprayer. Works like a power washer wand with a soap dispenser. I use recycled hydraulic oil. It can take paint off over time but that's fine as long as the oil is re-sprayed regularly. There's oil with wax in it available to stop the dripping but I just spray with cardboard under the vehicle and put it on the burn pile after. The cardboard I mean..

I have a feeling my wallet is gonna be a little lighter soon.. not for a bit though. She's too little yet and also my daughter and her husband have their house for sale so they can upgrade. They said no more toys till after that. Anybody have any experience with the cheap chinese gator models?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tractor

Rookie question: How do you "Oil" the frame? Use a spray bottle, wipe with oily rag, or whatever.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
PegPerego and Power Wheels are the top names in kids ride ons. Most parts are easily available. Mini-me’s PW Dune Buggy had a failed wheel motor, and we found replacement and upgraded motors at Amazon. We purchased the upgraded. It’s really torquey now! Just make sure it’s 2 wheel drive and not 1 wheel drive. We bought him a 6 volt “Chevy” truck first, well as soon as it hits grass it just spins that tire. He loves it though, so I think it will be upgraded to 12 volt and 2 wheel drive before to long.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts