Weekend Freedom Machines banner
181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Army, sorry about the gabby. Damn brain. I know what you mean about the 40 series flow masters and a 3 speed transmission. My S10 I put the 327 in had a built turbo 350 hydramatic in it. With 3.73 rear gear, she was humming pretty good going down the highway. I know it’s more work, but would be neat to see the fuel injection on it.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Army, sorry about the gabby. Damn brain. I know what you mean about the 40 series flow masters and a 3 speed transmission. My S10 I put the 327 in had a built turbo 350 hydramatic in it. With 3.73 rear gear, she was humming pretty good going down the highway. I know it’s more work, but would be neat to see the fuel injection on it.
I actually am gabby sometimes so it was understandable.. ;)

My brother rolled in Fri with his '05 Mustang. He was testing the 'muffler delete' pipes he bought on eBay. Just had the cats and tailpipes on it (and I thought my Vette was noisy..). His girlfriend hates it. He said he's gonna swap back to the mufflers after he aggravates her for a while. I can hear him fire it up from a 1/4 mile away at his house now. It's about as loud as my last V8 swap was. My daughter could hear me start it up at the township office whenever I jumped in it after work to go pick her up at the high school. It's a 1/2 mile away across the 32 acre town park. No houses or other buildings in the way :D.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I know it’s more work, but would be neat to see the fuel injection on it.
I keep changing my mind.. I work on the truck for a while and decide I'm gonna do it one way for sure, then I work on something else for a while and go back to the truck again with a different mindset. It's like my little 1/2N project. I really like working on it so I'm not in a hurry to finish it. Just want to get it done before I'm too old to drive.

This is an example of the difference between fuel injection vs a carb as far as clutter is concerned.. I prefer the visual of an old school engine but I favor the modern fuel injection and drive-ability of the more modern motor. I knew it was under there somewhere on the Explorer EFI V8 but I couldn't actually see the engine. No distributor sticking up on it either. Just a stub and the coil packs. Second engine in the pic is the 347 stroker I had in my other '96 Splash.

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
588 Posts
Army, I see I’m not the only one who takes a yellow paint pen and writes the date on batteries. Easier to look at battery than dig up receipt to see how old it is.

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yep, works good on the oil filter too.Wow, haven't seen a carbed V8 in I don't know how long...if the little voice in my head starts subbing "old truck" for "another tractor" I may be in trouble.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Army, I see I’m not the only one who takes a yellow paint pen and writes the date on batteries. Easier to look at battery than dig up receipt to see how old it is.
I'm not foresighted enough for that John. The date was already on the battery when I got it. I forget what it was in :unsure: but I didn't buy it new. I have a small antique wood box I put all my receipts in. It would likely take me an hour to find a particular one but it will be in there somewhere.

Yep, works good on the oil filter too.Wow, haven't seen a carbed V8 in I don't know how long...if the little voice in my head starts subbing "old truck" for "another tractor" I may be in trouble.
You should be able to find an old truck in pretty good shape down there Tmac. Y/N? My Vette was the last car I'll ever buy. It's been trucks only for me since about 2008.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
True enough, but right now I'm happily managing that hole in my head with green/yellow equipment. And due to the popularity of some of the TV shows about this-and-that garage the price of old trucks is like 10X what they should be...even for a rusty roller. I've done 4 old Ford PU's down through the years...last one was a 72 F250 Camper Special with the big FE V8. That was lots of fun...it got away from me along with a vintage ski boat & outboard motors (pair of Big Twin 35's on the transom) when I was paying my daughter's way through college. The buyer still calls me every now and then to check in and let me know how it's going...pre-pandemic anyway. Otherwise content using my 21-year-old Toyota PU as my GT fetcher/hauler/bringer. Life is good...sure like the look of that V8 though.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I expect you could probably find an old 1 ton dually for reasonable/cheap, just hold tight to your wallet when you have to put tires on it.

Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I never claimed you had to daily drive it :LOL:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I knew I was gonna get distracted by something again. Two things this time. The little 'shiny jeep machine' is in my shop now and so is the Club Car I bought the new engine for.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Back at it again. Should be dropping the engine in to stay by next week. Unless I have to pull it out again to do something I wasn't expecting. Lots of work to do after it's in the Splash too before the vroom-vroom noise happens though.

This yellow Splash is tempting to copy. Not keen on the side stripes or baloney Boss lettering (it's an EFI 5.0 HO) but I like the yellow paint job w/black hood and the Bossy looking scoop. Seriously thinking about a shaker hood though. Can get a repro shaker kit for a carb'd engine for about 500 bucks. I'm going with a 600 Holley and a bit of a lumpy Comp cam so the motor should have some rock and roll to it at idle. I've seen shakers on newer Mustangs. They look great but my brother put one on his 5.0 Coyote Mustang and it didn't move at all. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
I bought another 5.0 HO motor for my little Splash. Ran like a Swiss watch (said the guy who was selling it). Still gonna build the 5.0 I already had but I wanna do it all myself, except for the machine work. Too many projects on the go now though so it won't be for a whiIe. I wanna drive the truck sooner than that so I rolled the dice on a carb'd 302 out of an '85 Mustang. Has about 60,000 miles on it and is bone stock. Rated at 210 HP so it should keep up with the traffic. 210 is actually a tad more than the first EFI's Ford started putting in the Mustangs. They eventually bumped them to 225 HP when they switched to MAF from speed density.

I have a rule that says I have to sell something to buy something. In this case it was a '90 T5 Mustang trans. It's getting harder to find good ones now and the prices are up quite a bit. Mine was A1. Still shifted and worked as good as it did new. I know that because I actually did buy it new. The engine I bought with the money is pretty scruffy but that's not hard to rectify. Just time consuming. It came with the pollution pump still mounted on it so I can retain the serp belt. Another bonus was the factory headers were already off and the bolt holes are all good. The seller kept the carb which was fine with me. I'm gonna put a 600 Holley on it. Or maybe a 650. I've run Edelbrock carbs too with good results. Had a shiny new polished 650 on the 5.0 in the '90 Ranger I owned. Also a polished intake. Was such a pain in the ass to keep clean I'd rate it as impossible. Whatever carb I buy will this time have a regular finish.
Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

The 5.0 in my '90 Ranger looked like it was from McDonald's when I bought it back so I painted the MSD box and the coil black after this pic. That little truck had an unusual ownership record. I bought it way back in 1993 then my wife blew a head gasket one day and didn't notice the cloud of steam following her till it was too late. I sold it as a roller to my brother and the V6 came out and an '85 5.0 from a Capri replaced it. After a while he sold it to me, then I sold it back to him and he sold it to some other guy. Then I bought it back from that guy and sold it to my brother and he sold it back to me. I ended the streak when I sold it to a young bat **** crazy miner from Sioux Lookout, which is a mining town in north western Ontario not far from the Manitoba border. He had a criminal record for drugs and couldn't enter the US so he went around the top of Lake Superior to get home. That route is not for the timid. He headed for home with nothing except the clothes on his back. No spare gas can or tools. Not even a spare tire. I offered him one but he said nope. He did a burnout leaving which I thought was somewhat bold.. :rolleyes: :D
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Auto part

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
The treasurer at the municipality where I worked did a stint up in Sioux Lookout for the same township the crazy miner was from. He told me our bean counter was a real good time charlie and provided details of some of his activities. I don't know what the odds are of running into somebody from such a remote godforsaken area who knew the treasurer. They have to be pretty long though. I still laugh to myself thinking about the his expression when I told him who I sold my truck to. I'd never have said a word to anybody but he didn't know that fer sure. So he was very helpful with my IT budget after that. :D

• Haha
Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The treasurer at the municipality where I worked did a stint up in Sioux Lookout for the same township the crazy miner was from. He told me our bean counter was a real good time charlie and provided details of some of his activities. I don't know what the odds are of running into somebody from such a remote godforsaken area who knew the treasurer. They have to be pretty long though. I still laugh to myself thinking about the his expression when I told him who I sold my truck to. I'd never have said a word to anybody but he didn't know that fer sure. So he was very helpful with my IT budget after that. :D
Is that called accidental/unintentional blackmail?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Nah.. we ended up friends.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Lost track of him eventually. He went back up north. I heard he ended up in Yellowknife. I have another friend who was up there as a reporter for a year. He came back to civilization after his employer got over being mad at him. He said the biggest breaking news story he wrote was a recipe for vegetable soup and baloney slices.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
The scruffy looking 302 I bought for my Splash is an 5.0 HO roller cam engine. Stock guts. Compression is excellent. Seller is a parts store guy. He had a video of it running just before it was pulled out of his '85 Mustang. He replaced it with a 347 stroker. Not gonna dismantle it any more than I have to. Just take the accessories off and clean and paint the engine. Then put a new carb on it and drop it in the truck. Not gonna drive it in the winter so I have till spring to get it done. For some reason.. I'm reminded of the Final Frontier (Trek movie) where Captain Kirk asked Scotty how the engine repairs were going and Scotty said "Ye gave me too much time". :rolleyes: :D
Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine Nut

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Started taking the engine I just bought apart enough to clean and paint it. Everything will get refinished or replaced. I did the 5.0 HO EFI engine below about 13 years ago. Was just as scuzzy as the one I'm doing now. Lots of work to clean it up. I really like this type of work. It can be very satisfying and lasts a long time if it's done right.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Wheel

Presto. I lightly sandblasted the intake(s) and the valve covers. I really like the paint I used on this intake but I can't find it now. Got it at NAPA. They had a wide variety to choose from back then but they only have standard colors now. They also used to have a color that was brassy gold-ish and looked exactly like anodizing. Can't get that either now.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 · (Edited)
The intake is done. Both sides, Just needs paint on top. I have most gaskets I'm gonna need to reassemble the engine. Gotta get carb gaskets yet though. The carb spacer has been wire wheeled and stuck back on temporarily. It will be semi-flat black. Intake will be the same blue as the engine. Will have non-stock valve covers and a performance air cleaner on the motor when it's done. I have an '85 aircleaner but the snorkels are gone. They're like hen's teeth and priced accordingly. That's ok. Not gonna use it anyway. I must admit I'm getting more and more nostalgic as I get older though. I originally intended to go EFI but I'm gonna use a carb for the old school look. Plus it's way easier to do and the engine bay looks much tidier. The EFI version works really well but it looks like a Rube Goldberg design and I'm not crazy about the sideways Ford intake. I like the symmetry on a GM engine much better. I realize Ford did it because the distributor is in the way bit I still don't care for how it looks. It's a PITA to put a 671 style blower on Ford engines for the same reason.
Automotive tire Bottle Gas Wood Engineering

My previous V8 Rangers were both carb'd and I had zero problems with them. The 347 in my first '96 Splash started up so fast I could barely let go of the key before it was running. It had an electric fuel pump and choke. My first V8 Ranger had an 12V pump too with a manual choke. Electric pumps are a must for reliable start ups if a vehicle sits very long. My Corvette is carb'd but has a mechanical pump. If it ever gives me grief I'll put an electric pump on it but so far so good. It has an electric choke too. Starts right up every time. I just run the starter for 4-5 seconds in the spring, pump the gas several times and vroom! The idle is initially a bit too fast but I'm not gonna touch it! It settles down after a minute or so to a nice easy lope then down to about 800 RPM when it's fully warmed up. If I put the automatic in gear to pull out of the shop while the idle is still in fast mode it will chirp the tires. I put a new trans snubber in it years ago but it will still clunk if I put it in gear too soon. A stock '85 Mustang air cleaner has been hanging on the wall so long the waferboard behind it is noticeably lighter in color than the wall around it.
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Electronic instrument Circuit component Gas

181 - 200 of 205 Posts