Weekend Freedom Machines banner
241 - 260 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
This is the EFI setup from the '96 Explorer. It's supposedly plug and play for my '96 Splash but I have my doubts. I also have doubts about using the EFI with the '85 5.0 engine.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Upper intake. The emblem was busted on the Explorer engine but the one off my '90 5.0 will work.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Font

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
I also stripped the aluminum valve covers down to bare metal yesterday. Gonna be too much work to make them look good so I'm gonna paint them. Possibly black with the paint removed from the tops of the fins, then polish them like the Bronco valve covers below. (N2: ya outta get a pair fer yer Explorer, er, I mean.. Bronco!).
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Product

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
See the fuel pump hole in the above pic? It's eliminated on the '96 Explorer water pump since it had an electric pump in the tank for EFI. I'll have to make a plate to block it if I can't use the short accessories for some reason (like an incompatible harmonic balancer). I wonder if the 'cup' assembly on the '85 engine cam gear is there to sling oil onto the fuel pump mechanism? I can't think of any other use for it.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Agreed!! Another thing you mentioned is dissimilar metals. Arrghh,… like the JD 100’s peerless transmissions. Iron bolts in magnesium or aluminum alloy cases. After 35 years the iron rusts, expands and siezes. Might as well be welded! I’ve wrecked as many transmissions as I have removed successfully it seems! I also use the 1/2” impact. Sometimes I’ll rap on the head, then I’ll heat, let cool, go fwd before trying reverse. Anything to wake up that bolt from its sleep and say “hey let’s go for a nice easy walk”!! Lol 😂
Yuh. Exactly. They seize like they're designed to do that.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The “gear” part on the back of the balancer is a tone ring for a crankshaft position sensor.

In the picture with the arrow, it looks like that sensor is just above the arrow. The sensor picks up on the teeth.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Great info! Thanks Homie! One of the teeth is missing on the balancer 'gear'. Based on what you said, is that how the computer determines the crank has rotated 360 deg?
Gas Wood Automotive tire Gamelan Audio receiver

Got a bad frost plug. The other 5 on the sides of the block are good but this one has to be replaced. Corrosion ate a small hole in it. Happy I caught it now vs after the engine was in and running. I checked on eBay and I have to buy a $30 pack of them vs only 1 so I might replace all 6 of them while I'm at it. Not the ones in the heads though. They look just fine.
Wood Motor vehicle Table Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Auto part

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 · (Edited)
Installed the fan yesterday just to make sure it was gonna go back on with no issues when the time comes. The V8 Explorer's are an oddball set up. The fan hub threads onto the water pump shaft. Was a head scratcher at first when I was removing it with the engine still in the Explorer.
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire

Gotta sandblast the finned hub. Blades should be fine though with just a quick scuff. No paint peeled off or rusty spots. Sandblasting is great for cleaning up corrosion but I usually only do it if it's necessary. If you don't get enough on when you paint something that's been blasted the raw metal will rust like crazy. Rattle cans are the worst for that. Not a lot of paint volume.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
I dolled up the Mustang 5.0 on the left years ago. Couldn't get the light Ford blue I wanted at the time so I used Chrysler blue. As you can see.. right after I painted that motor about 14 years ago it looked the same as the Ford light blue oil cap I just painted yesterday (sitting on the valve cover on the right engine). Check out the blue valve covers though. They were painted 14 years ago at the same time I did the engine block. They've never been used. Just hung on a wall. They demonstrate how much heat paint can fade over time and that's without being subjected to the heat cycles in an engine bay. Now I know why I no longer favor the shade of blue I used back then. My taste didn't change. The paint did. Hope the Ford blue doesn't do that but it likely will.
Motor vehicle Blue Hood Engineering Gas

I managed to figure out what the medium greyish paint I like on the EFI intake actually is. It's Plasti-Kote 'Cast Finish'. Should be able to track down some more of it now. This can was hiding behind some other spray bombs. Had the wrong top on it too. There's enough left to paint something small but the can is about 14 years old. I thought it might not be functional anymore but it works fine. It probably helped that I shook the shlt out of it with my paint shaker before I tested it.
Tin Bottle Drink Cylinder Gas

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
I played around with the engine yesterday. Tried different parts on it to see what I like the most. Not gonna use the valve covers but the air cleaner is tempting. It's original for the engine. Also been looking at a new carb on Summit Racing that is a direct replacement for the Holley carb's that came on the '85 engines. These valve covers aren't original to the '85 5.0. They're off my '90 5.0. The '85 Mustang engines came with Powered by Ford valve covers. I didn't have the right carb to sit the air cleaner on so I used a couple short pieces of 2x4. (Yes.. I know it won't run worth a shlt that way :D).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Industry

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
So to summarize.. this engine currently has an '85 Mustang shortblock, heads, intake and air cleaner, a '96 5.0 Explorer short water pump, balancer and headers and a '90 oil pan and valve covers. The distributor will be from an '85 302.

Not sure yet if I'll use the oil filter adapter in the pic. It's from the '96 Explorer. I also have a new filter adapter kit that came with the swap kit. The Explorer adapter cools the oil too. It also had a transmission cooler and a good sized AC cooler in front of the rad so Ford was paying attention to temp issues. I'm gonna too. Not sure which adapter I'll use yet. Gotta see if the Explorer adapter actually fits when the engine goes in the Splash. My '97 Splash is the old I-beam design and the Explorers had an IFS rack and pinion set up so there could be clearance issues. I don't think so but I won't know for sure till the motor is in place.

If I end up using the short accessories I'm gonna get a new alternator. The existing one is really corroded. That'll never do. Gonna sandblast the aluminum accessory mounts and paint them.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Nut

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
No matter how many times I put an engine on a stand like this I'm always impressed four 1/2" bolts can handle that much weight. It's not just the weight though. The engine has considerable leverage hanging there like that. The stand has enough springiness to it that the engine will bounce up and down if I rock it at the front. Not a lot but enough to make me a tad nervous.
Tartan Motor vehicle Engineering Plaid Gas

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Nice stand...beats hell out of a couple old tires in the back of your truck...did a V8 FE block/engine that way long ago. Driveway resto...the neighbors loved it! That was a sweet 72 F250 camper special when I finished...what a beast.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Whenever I get frustrated by something out in the shop I take a break from whatever is causing it and do a power clean up. The water pump bolt snapping off annoyed me so much I even scrubbed some floor areas where oil had dripped but was overlooked.
View attachment 271788

See the white spots on the floor? They show up every summer and only in my left bay. No idea what they are or how they get there. They won't scrub off unless I use an abrasive. Looks like some birds paid a visit but my Vette sat in that bay all summer and there are never any birds in there. They'd have gotten the car not the floor anyway. A large dbl dbl coffee for whoever figures it out (I will email it as an attachment). Note the stop block on the floor for my wife so she can park her Edge without running into my workbench. No matter where I place it side to side she somehow misses it most of the time.
View attachment 271787

Almost 1800 sq ft of floor space plus a 700 sq ft shed but unless I move something outside my work area is very limited. I don't mind walking sideways though and if a Micheal Jackson tune is playing on the radio I moonwalk instead of trying to turn around to go the other way.
View attachment 271785
Hook up a cable on the floor to the stop light for her😌

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Yes, typically that style of sensor has a “missing” tooth so the ECM knows where TDC is.

If you are concerned about the engine bouncing on the stand, try hanging a 400 Pontiac on there!

Reactions: army

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Yah that would get her attention. I have a power cord on it so the red light works. No green or yellow though. They originally used regular 100W bulbs in those lights.
Hook up a cable on the floor to the stop light for her😌
If you look at the pic you'll see a blue fly swatter hanging on the wall cabinet on the right over the bench. It lines up with the driver's position in the Edge. I showed her how to line herself up with it when she pulls in and she's been doing a great job of parking since then. She just needed an obvious reference point. (y)
Building Computer Television Interior design Wood

I have to drill out the header flange bolts now before I can prep and paint them with VHT semi-flat black. Just have to make sure I center punch them accurately and and start drilling. They've been 'heat treated' many times over the years though so I expect some resistance. I'm gonna sandblast them then lightly paint them several times over the winter before I do the top coat. I'll let each coat cure thoroughly before the next one goes on. They're a little goofy looking but I like these headers. It's easy to tighten the bolts up and also to change the spark plugs later. The flanges are twice as thick as aftermarket headers and so are the pipes. They have over 180,000 miles on them but are still in really good shape. I'm hoping I can use stock Explorer pipes bolted to them and then a custom exhaust from there back.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 · (Edited)
I cleaned and painted some more small parts yesterday. Pics to follow as soon as I take some. The balancer and the water pump pulley turned out nice in med gloss black. Everything that's considered a pulley is gonna be black. Need a bit of contrast though. Painted the sensor blue so it'll be easier to see. Still didn't get to the auto parts store for some frost plugs so I can paint the block and heads. Hopefully today. Won't make it run any better but it will dramatically change how the motor looks. It's one of my favorite things to do.

I drilled out all four header bolt holes. They all snapped off removing the engine. Correction: after further review of my feeble memory.. I actually nipped the bolts apart in the middle with an angle grinder. They had welded themselves in the holes permanently. They were pretty brittle too. The holes were originally threaded but I'm gonna use bolts with nuts. All 4 holes I drilled ended up exactly right. Was a PITA to get the headers lined up properly in the drill press but not impossible. After I did the 4th one I strutted around the shop like I was a topgun machinist. It was actually just shlt luck but I was the only one there so why not claim victory? :p
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Engineering

As you guys all know.. the trick is to drill the holes exactly in the center with a small bit first. The bigger sized bits will then play follow the leader. The snapped off bolts were really brittle from 25 years of heat cycling. Had to get the hardened drill bits out that dad had for his lathes in the machine shop. And even then it was slow going at times. Re-threading the holes would have been problematic and not worth the effort.
Wood Fire extinguisher Automotive tire Gas Tree

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 · (Edited)
The EFI 5.0 motor right after it was cleaned up and prepped about 12 years ago and a pic of the engine before I started. All it cost was about $20 for paint. You'd never guess it was the same motor. I didn't have enough cast finish paint left to do the valve covers the same as the intake and I never did find any more of it.
Tire Automotive tire Cabinetry Motor vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

My first '96 Splash with the 347 stroker in it attempted to intimidate the 5.0 but it bravely stood its ground.. :p
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Tread

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Just an fyi.. the oil filters for JD hydro systems is the exact same as the Fram filters for Ford small blocks. See 2nd pic above. I kinda like that.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
I scored more rattle cans of Ford med blue yesterday at NAPA. Also a couple more cans of black heat paint. $7 each vs the $22 I paid at Canadian Tire so I bought all they had. CT is similar to a TSC but tire/automotive themed and the stores are a lot bigger. Used to be vehicle orientated anyway. Not the case now. It's the same things the old 'Tractor Supply Company'. It's just a hardware store now too. The NAPA guy told me lots of stores are using an alleged 'supply issue' to jack prices up.
Automotive tire Paint Tin Gas Aluminum can

NAPA didn't have any frost plugs though. The parts guy says they have to be ordered. Couldn't do that because I didn't measure mine. I mistakenly thought they were all the same diameter on SBF's. Apparently not. Mine are 1.5".

241 - 260 of 308 Posts