Weekend Freedom Machines banner
281 - 300 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ford put that style oil pressure sender on the extension to accommodate the larger size. I’ve got it on my 67’ 4.7. It’s recommended to install it after the engine is in place, so it doesn’t break off, in case it’s accidentally bumped.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 · (Edited)
Is a 4.7 a 289? I never did the metric math on that motor.

The larger size of the sending unit you mean? When I install it I'm gonna take everything off the motor that isn't a PITA to reinstall after it's in the truck.

Fer sure I won't be using the alternator from the Explorer 5.0. I started working on the short accessories yesterday and realized it's cracked. I don't see any other damage but maybe it got dropped? Wasn't me or I'd say so. I always confess my sins as they happen. I figure it'll save a lot of time when I get to the Pearly Gates. I wanted a new alternator anyway so now I can buy one guilt free. Sometimes I replace parts just to get the new look and I kinda feel like I'm wasting money. I still do it though. :rolleyes:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Auto part Personal protective equipment

Still not 100% sure I can actually use the aluminum oil pan from the Explorer. Won't know for sure till I drop the engine in. The Explorer engine bays from the mid to late 90's were basically the same as the 1998 to 2011 Rangers from the firewall forward. The '96 Splash front suspension and steering is different from a '96 Explorer though. I don't think it will but the aluminum pan might have some fitment issues. We'll see.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Yellow

I did some test installs last summer. First one was just the Explorer block to get some idea of how to do the engine mounts. This pic shows the harmonic balancer clearance at the front using the Explorer short accessories. The standard balancer is about 4" longer and barely cleared the rad on both of my previous 5.0 Rangers. John says his son couldn't use a regular fan even with the short accessories. Hope mine will work but I'm not gonna bet the farm on it.

See the turnbuckle on the front chain? It's there to let me rotate the engine side to side. It doesn't support the engine other than that though. You can also see the S hook attaching the turnbuckle to the lift chain. It's the exact same as the S hook that let go when the engine fell (see below). Never saw one fail like that before. I'll never trust one again so there won't be a 2nd incident.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

A while later I did a test install with the '90 5.0 motor and the Explorer headers. It had the double sump oil pan on it, which actually worked fine. I'd use it but it has a dent from a hard landing on the shop floor when an S hook let go on one of the two chains suspending the motor. It was almost sitting on the floor at the time. Could still use the pan. Just wouldn't like to do that.

The hoist and cherry picker worked really well together dropping the engine in and pulling it out with the transmission attached. The ramps are a safety thing. I had a set under the rear tires too so I could roll under the truck and jimmy the automatic transmission around and get it situated on the crossmember without worrying about the hoist failing. I'm pretty paranoid about that. There has to be at least two separate ways of supporting it before I'll even go under something. There's actually 3 ways it's supported when I have a vehicle up in the air. The cylinders and stop blocks on the columns work together to hold it up and I always have four tall 2 ton jackstands backing them up.

I'm also super careful to make sure a vehicle can't move around on the pads on the arms. I check check and recheck that before I go under anything and I check regularly while I'm working on it too. That's how most hoist accidents happen. The hoist itself doesn't fail. The vehicle falls off the arms. There's one youtube video where two guys are standing under a small 4 door car and it suddenly falls off the arms. One second they're standing there, the next the car is on the floor and they were, well.. let's just say they weren't as tall as they were before.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Found a pic showing what the rough texture on the intake was like before it was painted. Like I said, you'd swear the 1st coat partially dissolved when the 2nd coat went on and turned into a gummy mess but it actually didn't.
Automotive design Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Auto part

Photograph Blue White Azure Aqua

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes 289, the 5.0’s little brother. I’m thinking the larger sender unit on the extension is for a oil pressure gauge and the smaller unit that doesn’t have the extension and is tight to the block is for a oil pressure light. Nice write-up army, I’ve enjoyed reading your progress and humor;)

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
I'm making progress overall. I jump around quite a bit when I'm working on projects like that. I never start reading a book on page 1 either.

Had a 289 in my first car when I was 16. A '66 2 door Fairlane. I beat the tar out of it then my buddy bought it and he beat the tar out of it. He couldn't afford a Thrush muffler so he punched some holes in the muffler with a chisel.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
The carb'd 5.0 is wrapped in plastic now to keep the dust and dirt off it. Gonna take it off to do the valve covers and put the cleaned up accessories back on and do the gaskets, then cover it up again till it's installed in the truck.
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Started cleaning up the Explorer AC pump. It was really grimy. At first I thought it was black but it's actually a silver-ish cast metal color. I wiped part of the info off a decal that was under the grease and crap. I tried gently cleaning it off with a rag but it didn't go very well. I ended up peeling it off and I can see the original finish now. I did get a shot of the decal first though. The mounting bolts all came out easy with my impact gun even though they were pretty corroded. No doubt it helped that half the threads were exposed and I could soak them with penetrating oil. Another case of steel and aluminum not getting along very well. I wire wheeled the bolts and they turned out pretty good. I also soaked the threaded bolt holes with WD-40 and worked the bolts in and out to clean the holes up.
Luggage and bags Bag Font Automotive tire Gas

At least I know it takes R124a refrigerant. Or maybe the 2 is an 8?
Bumper Material property Gas Auto part Machine

It's a lot of work to clean the pump so I hope it still works. Once it's prepped I'll shoot it with a cast finish as close to the original color as I can find. I'm gonna C clamp it so the housing doesn't try to come apart, then remove and wire wheel the long bolt in this pic and shoot it semi black. It's facing the other way so I can't do the bolt on the bottom without removing the pulley. Won't need one that size for this job but I have C clamps as big as 12" stashed away and every size in between down to a couple dinky 1" clamps.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive exterior

The pulley end of the compressor. Not sure if I can remove it without any issues so I think I'll resto it without taking it off. It's kinda heavy but I can wire wheel the pulley grooves no problem with my bench grinder and prep the end of it by hand. I'll paint the pulley semi flat black like all the other pulleys I'm doing on the engine, then mask it off to shoot the compressor itself with a cast finish. My wife will mask this decal for me. Before computers she's used to do what was called 'paste up' artwork involving exacto knives to trim images and she's still really good at it.
Automotive lighting Fender Gas Rim Automotive tire

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Yeah, paste up. Building pages by hand, before they are shot to make press plates. That's how I met my sweet bride...she was a compositor at the newspaper where I worked as a writer/editor/photog. Yesterday we marked 36 years of togetherness. 1+1=1, not 2.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Yup. Then one day her skills in that respect became obsolete. So we bought her a Mac and she spent 3 months learning how to use it then got a job with a big print business company producing various publications like the Ontario Farmer. Lots of tractor and machinery ads in it. Dad was thrilled that she gave him a copy the night before anybody else could get one. She tried a tactic that most people can't or won't use to get a job. She offered to work for them for 3 months free. They said sure. Then at the end of the 3 months they hired her permanently and paid her for what she did up to that point. She referred to it as a signing bonus. :)

Yeah, paste up. Building pages by hand, before they are shot to make press plates.
Aha. The 2 that might be an 8 is a 3. Thank you. (y)

Army, it should use 134a refrigerarant.
Pretty dramatic before/after. See the pic of it above before I started cleaning it up. The pulley/grooves are done now too and I went over the aluminum case again. Gonna do it one more time so I don't miss anything that will affect the paint. Electrical plug for the clutch looks good. Pulley spins nice when it isn't engaged. Might end up as a decoration though. No way to know if it works till it's installed in the Splash ..however I remain optimistic.
Automotive tire Flowerpot Motor vehicle Wood Bumper

Clutch end of the compressor. Best I can do without disassembling it. I scuffed it up with coarse steel wool. Gotta go over it again with some fine steel wool now then shoot it. I find steel wool works better than sandpaper for preps like this. I can get in all the nooks and crannies where sandpaper would refuse to go. The clutch/pulleys will be black. Same as all the other pulleys on the engine. You can see the PS pump and pulley on the right. Already popped the pulley loose. It's next.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Helmet Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Nice work on the Splash so far.
Long ago and far away, before www illiteracy ruined the world, I were an edditer/photog for farm magazines...best 15 years of my life. Roamed the Central Great Plains interviewing farmers/stockmen and writing features about them. Saw the USA, but not in a Chevrolet!

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
I have a good buddy who does what you did. He loves it. He's the reporter/photog I mentioned who was shipped off to Yellowknife for a year. They paid for his living expenses though. They just wanted him elsewhere for a while. His only sin was his boss didn't like him. She was the company owner's unofficial snuggy babe. She had him in her office on the carpet one day so he recorded her saying stuff that would have caused quite a stir. He probably would have been fired otherwise and he didn't want a black mark like that on his resume. Leverage. There's no substitute.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
They shortened the name to just Ontario Farmer but this is the pub I was referring to. She did other pubs too if there was time but the Farmer was her primary job. The printed version I mean. If she didn't drop a copy at dad's on her way home the evening before it was distributed he'd come over right away to get it. I don't think he bought all that much. He just liked having the jump on everybody else. Home | Ontario Farmer. She's been retired for 12 years and forgotten most of it now but at one time my wife could identify tractor and combines models better than me.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I got out of that business so I would have enough time at home to be a good father. Wound up working as an editor/writer for Kansas State University Research & Extension, Texas A&M University Research/Extension (my alma mater) for another 14 years. Then I got roped into teaching Journalism at Texas Tech University, then Mississippi State University while coordinating their 3 nice 4-color university mags.
Funny though, even though the WWW killed journalism and magazines as an industry/career and promotes illiteracy through group ignorance, the remaining literacy jobs now pay more than before...especially if reading comprehension is involved. I now work for the state road/highway agency making the engineers appear literate/brilliant...when, sadly, such is not the case. They can tell you everything about grades of dirt/rock, pre-stressed concrete, etc., but cannot parse a simple sentence for the most part.
Keep up the photos in this thread...nice to follow along.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Observation and memory are obviously important but comprehension is the key. Remembering what something looks like but not knowing how it works isn't particularly useful. Aside from identifying what it is I mean. All of us at WFM are capable of understanding mechanical stuff or we wouldn't be here. Sometimes I just want to look at something though and not concern myself with how it works. Like women for example.. :p

This thread is basically a log of what I'm doing. It's a bit hard to follow sometimes because I've changed course more than once and wandered off track quite a bit. But at least I can still come back to it and refresh my memory if I need to. As long as WFM is up and running anyway. The prep and paint work I'm doing generally applies to JD garden tractors too. I hope at least some of it helps. My daughter was in my shop yesterday and noticed the 302 sitting there looking pretty. She had no idea what it was but it still made me feel good when she said it looked great.

I got out of that business so I would have enough time at home to be a good father. Wound up working as an editor/writer for Kansas State University Research & Extension, Texas A&M University Research/Extension (my alma mater) for another 14 years. Then I got roped into teaching Journalism at Texas Tech University, then Mississippi State University while coordinating their 3 nice 4-color university mags.
Funny though, even though the WWW killed journalism and magazines as an industry/career and promotes illiteracy through group ignorance, the remaining literacy jobs now pay more than before...especially if reading comprehension is involved. I now work for the state road/highway agency making the engineers appear literate/brilliant...when, sadly, such is not the case. They can tell you everything about grades of dirt/rock, pre-stressed concrete, etc., but cannot parse a simple sentence for the most part.
Keep up the photos in this thread...nice to follow along.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Gaskets and more gaskets. I bought a couple complete sets about 15 years ago. This kit has been still in the package in a parts cabinet since then.
Table Textile Public space Art Desk

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 · (Edited)
Started on the PS pump and reservoir resto. Pump just needs a good cleaning with solvent and some black paint. Plastic reservoir should clean up really well. Pulleys will be prepped and painted med gloss black. The mount will need a good cleaning and paint. Same with the AC/alternator mount and pulleys. Easy work. Nothing tricky. Gonna replace 3 idler pullies while I'm at it. Also the alternator as mentioned.
Engineering Gas Machine Auto part Metal

The Splash project will be paused as soon as the accessories are all done. Gonna do some tractor and golf cart work. Couple deck gearboxes to rebuild, a VG carb to rebuild and a new 15 HP clone engine to put in my Club Car. Also got a new 3 HP clone to put on my antique mini-bike (bottom left of pic).
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
No progress at all yesterday. Had some things to do in the big city that took most of the day. Was bitter cold again. Not bitter like it can be in Jan or Feb but a lot colder than I've acclimated to so far this year. I'll get used to it though and by Jan I'll be running around outside in shorts (not!). My shop furnace is easily keeping it at 55F. It's a 40K natural gasser and runs a lot in the coldest months but does the job. Heats 960 sq feet w/10 ft ceiling. My brother has a ~100,000 BTU ceiling mounted furnace in his 16 x 22 foam insulated garage. Overkill plus more overkill.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
I have a 45k BTU Modine Hot-Dawg ceiling-mounted heater in my 700 sq.ft. garage shop and it does an adequate job. It has a pesky little time-delay relay that keeps failing, it has a powered exhaust blower. I have had it for 20 years, I am on my third relay, they are about $50 a pop.

281 - 300 of 309 Posts