Weekend Freedom Machines banner
301 - 320 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 · (Edited)
I was cleaning the PS pump from the '96 Explorer when it occurred to me it might not work for a '96 Ranger. It's kinda small and different looking. A '96 Explorer has rack and pinion and my Splash has the older I beam front end and steering setup. So now I have to figure out if it can handle the pressure and volume the Splash needs. If it won't work I can't use the other components either.
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gas Wood Machine

Fox Mustang pump.
Pink Gas Wood Machine Toy

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Side by side. The standard pump for Fox body 5.0's( right side) looks pretty beefy but some of that is the elaborate mount. Can't have a wimpy looking pump on a Mustang. Volume looks smaller on the Explorer pump/reservoir too though.
Cylinder Gas Machine Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
It's like the old Chinese curse: 'May you have an interesting life'. I get pretty annoyed sometimes but I'm never bored.

Don’t you just love it when plans have to change?🤢

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
The Achilles heel on my natural gas Mr Maxx is the auto start function stops working on them after a while. To my surprise the company gave me a new control board for free after I had the heater for at least 5 years. An 80K unit is 800 bucks now. Not high efficiency though so I'm not tempted. The gas supply from the main at the road is only a 1". Fine for the house but I can't just use any furnace I want in the shop unless I replace the supply line all the way to the main with a bigger one. Nope $!

I have a 45k BTU Modine Hot-Dawg ceiling-mounted heater in my 700 sq.ft. garage shop and it does an adequate job. It has a pesky little time-delay relay that keeps failing, it has a powered exhaust blower. I have had it for 20 years, I am on my third relay, they are about $50 a pop.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Not much done on this project for several days. Been building cat houses and chauffeuring my wife around and what not. Yesterday I found two more cans of the particular shade of Ford blue I like the best. Or at least the cans have the exact same cap, part number, bar code, label and description plus(!) they have the word 'ceramic' on the label. I have 4 other new cans that are identical to what I found yesterday but don't have 'ceramic' on them. No idea why that makes a difference in the color but they're a distinctly different shade of blue. This pic shows the 4 cans that aren't what I wanted. They'll actually be fine for doing a complete engine. Just not suitable to use on the same engine with the other shade of blue I have.
Automotive tire Paint Handwriting Gas Plastic

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Ceramic may refer to the finish appearance...like flat/matte, etc. If so, I would guess ceramic finish is quite shiney...don't know for sure though...just a WAG on my part.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
There may be some sort of ceramic substance in the paint since it's intended purpose is to resist heat (up to 500F in this case). Doesn't really look any shinier than the non-ceramic blue though. Just a shade different. Hard to describe this kind of thing isn't it. Pics are said to be worth a 1000 words but they can be really deceiving. Like the shot of my engine I posted previously. The oil breather is exactly the same color as the engine and is in fact from the same can. It doesn't even look close to the same blue in the pic though.
Blue Circuit component Engineering Gas Electrical wiring

Ceramic may refer to the finish appearance...like flat/matte, etc. If so, I would guess ceramic finish is quite shiney...don't know for sure though...just a WAG on my part.
I recall a lot of brake caliper paint being labeled ceramic also. It may have something to do with it's heat resistance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't recall caliper paint having a different shininess, but it wouldn't surprise me if the ceramic additive did affect the color slightly, like you're experiencing.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
The color difference you see in that one photo is because of the camera flash...they calculate/set exposure based on the amount of light reflecting off the object and bouncing back to the camera...not on actual light falling on the object. They're tricksey that way, kind of like Hobbits and tomcats.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
The color difference you see in that one photo is because of the camera flash...they calculate/set exposure based on the amount of light reflecting off the object and bouncing back to the camera...not on actual light falling on the object. They're tricksey that way, kind of like Hobbits and tomcats.
Ah.. that makes sense. The breather color on the far valve cover is fine.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I'll bet their close if painted from same can at same time...take both off if you can and shoot them side by side out in sun (no flash). No bet if they were painted differently.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
They look identical in person. Just off color in the pic.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
I decided to use my other engine stand for the 5.0 out of '90 Mustang so I can work on it too. Was hanging on the forklift so now I can use the forks for other purposes again. The 12 HP Kohler off the Ford garden tractor that was on the engine stand was relocated to my Workmate (guaranteed I'll need to use the Workmate now).

My engine hoist takes up as much floor space as a JD 400 so I'd like to have a lighter fold up one. But this old 3 ton has been in the family a long time. It's the one dad found in new condition at a scrap yard. It had been disassembled but everything was there including the cylinder. He paid whatever the scrap metal price per pound was at the time plus whatever the standard mark up was. About 50% (I think) but still really cheap. It was one of dad's best lucky break stories. It was laying on the ground when he found it so when he told the story he'd laugh and say he got it 'dirt cheap'.
Tire Motor vehicle Wood Engineering Gas

The Kohler is sitting on my trusty old Workmate now in this pic. My wife bought it for me about 45 years ago. First Christmas we were together. I think I got her an ironing board or something like that. Made sense to me but I don't recall her being thrilled about it. :D The Kohler has a new offshore carb on it. Starts and runs nice. I have a half dozen of them in use and have had good luck with them but I hear some guys have had different results.
Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Wood Gas

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
Didn't accomplish a darn thing with the 302 accessories yesterday. Grand kids were here so I had fun anyway and my wife went home with my daughter and the kids so I gotta pick her up today. More fun! My grand daughter is old enough to kid around with now. It's a bit unnerving to have a 3 year old out think me but I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ford power steering pumps are internally regulated for pressure. The regulator is a spring and washers inside the pressure outlet fitting. Changing the spring changes the maximum pressure it will put out. Kind of like an oil pump spring.

I would recommend you match the pump to the steering box the truck came with. that way, you know things like the PS lines will bolt up (ford is notorious for changing things like this for no apparent reason, even the same part in the same vehicle in a year to year change). So your splash PS lines may not bolt up to the mustang pump and even if it does, the "stand pipe" on the fitting going into the pump may not seal and it may not depress the max pressure fitting inside the pump correctly, or some don't use the pipe at all and just screw in.

I'm running an SN95 rack in my fox mustang (better ratios) and when I bolted it in I installed the SN95 pump as well. Needed a touch of work for proper pulley alignment, but I know the pump will run the rack just fine and I can get replacement parts at any local jobber (IE: napa, UAP, Crap tire, etc).

Can't fault your engine choice:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system

:)

Are you running duraspark ignition? That looks like the duraspark distributor in you last pics....

301 - 320 of 327 Posts