Weekend Freedom Machines banner

101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Wasn't too bad the past few days here but I was still sweating buckets working on the Explorer.

Army, still hot and humid here in sudbury.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Finally got the engine and transmission out of the Explorer yesterday about 3 pm. I started yanking it out around 8 am. It officially takes the place of my `67 390 Cougar as the meanest most aggravating engine pull I've ever done. The Cougar held that record for 47 years. I don't think I'd have gotten it out if I hadn't already cut most of the Explorer's front end off. It fought me every inch of the way. I was pretty mad at it yesterday but after a good night's sleep I sort of admire it now. I'm still gonna have to call Scrappy Doo to come and get it though. Just have to make sure there's nothing else I need from it first.

Sorry about the crummy pics. Lighting wasn't exactly suitable.

enginepull1.jpg

enginepull2.jpg

The engine had to be twisted and turned and pried and wiggled, then twisted and turned and pried and wiggled some more. It jammed a couple times, once so tight I lifted the front tires off the ramps with the cherry picker trying to get it to move. I had to reposition the chains several times. I used the headers to lift it. That actually worked fine but it was a PITA to get the chains on/off. At one point the engine got stuck part way out, and I mean really stuck. Wouldn't lift up or go back down or jiggle around at all. If I'd had a torch the Explorer would be in pieces now. I used my sawzall instead to cut the exhaust completely off just behind the exit flanges on the headers. That provided (barely) enough room to continue extracting the engine. I had already nipped the exhaust off further back (twice) hoping to save some of it. Hah! In hindsight it was a pretty silly notion.

Today is gonna be a thorough hoist bay cleanup. It looks like a Tasmanian devil went through there. Lots of tools and parts strewn about. A couple good sized fluid spills too. Will be mowing everything after lunch. Gonna be hot and humid later so I doubt I'll get anything more done on the Splash stuff.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would keep the explorer until the splash is running.
I would bet that if you get ride of it you will need something off of it

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Yah we're on the same page Soupy. I towed the Exp back behind my old shed and put the hood back in place so nothing gets wet. My Ford 860 managed to pick up the engine-less front end with the boom so that went pretty well. I wish the tractor steered easy like that all the time. The front end was a bit bouncy though. Not much interchanges between the Explorers and Rangers except engine related stuff under the hood. Boy I'm glad that engine is out. By the time it popped free I felt like the Wolverine had kicked my ass just enough not to kill me.

Another crappy pic. Kinda jungle-ish looking too in a repair shop kind of way too. Got the box back on temporarily. Went pretty easy. I picked it up using the 4 tie downs in the box and a couple straps with my 860/boom and then backed it into the hoist bay. Then I rolled the truck under it. EZ peezy. Didn't make up for the fight the Explorer put up before letting go of its engine though.
boxbackon.jpg

Next task is prepping and paint the front end (I-beams, steering stuff etc) and then I'll do the engine bay. Will be some painting to do under the hood, especially if I go JD yellow on the body. The undercoating oil stripped the paint off down to the primer in some areas under there so I need to paint the firewall and inner fenders regardless of what color I choose. Will be a couple days of cleaning and and prepping and taping stuff off for only a few minutes of paint spraying. I want a nice engine bay though. It's always a sore point to me when an otherwise sharp vehicle looks like crap under the hood. One of the worst examples I've seen was a `70 Mustang a guy I know did a few years ago. The paint looked really nice but he didn't even power wash the engine bay. It was really rusty and dirty looking too.

I'm using my `90 Mustang 5.0 block and I'm teetering on a rebuild. It was starting and running great before I pulled it out of the Mustang but I'd hate to have to yank it out of the Splash for something unforeseen. If I do freshen it up I'm not gonna strip the Exp engine till the Mustang block/heads are ready to drop in. That way I can take parts off the Exp engine, prep/paint/refinish them and put them on the Mustang engine right away. There's a lot of stuff to move over. Would be best if how and where everything goes is still fresh in me wee brain.

No work on the Splash today or tomorrow. Got some emergency yard work to do at my daughter's new house. It's really nice. Kinda looks like Beaver Cleaver's house or maybe My Three Sons. It's in an older subdivision with beautiful mature trees lining the streets and in most people's yards. They have a pretty big lawn now and it looks like the previous owners stopped mowing the grass as soon as the deal was signed. I should find out where they live now and go spell out JERKS LIVE HERE! with Roundup on their front yard (as good as I could after dark anyway).

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Jason hit the nail on the head! It’ll be much worse to pull that out of a nice engine bay surrounded by nice fenders!

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Not much getting done right now. Granddaughter for a couple days plus lots of other stuff going on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
just glad you aren't putting a "350" or an LS-something or other in there. Like alot of idiots do on an engine swap, no matter the brand of the chassis. I hate that to no end.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
Would never do that in a million years. I really really dislike seeing a Chevy engine in another brand of vehicle unless the brand has never offered a V8 for any of their models. Back in the day SBC's were used a lot for swaps and hotrodding because speed parts were readily available for them and regular parts were plentiful and cheap too. That hasn't been the case for the Fords since the Fox body Mustangs with 5.0 engines came along. Plenty of goodies for them. It's their vehicle so it's the owner's choice to drop a SBC in a Ford. Just don't try to tell me there's a good reason to do that now.

Works both ways too. A local guy was trying to sell his `85 S10 with a 5.0 Ford in it last fall. He found out that's a dumb ass thing to do if you're planning on selling the vehicle eventually. He said the only response he got was hate mail. Not one serious bite. The lowballers (may a thousand fleas infest their armpits) didn't even try for a bargain because they knew they couldn't flip it for more than they paid. He ended up selling the engine/tranny separately and then sold the truck as a roller.

just glad you aren't putting a "350" or an LS-something or other in there. Like alot of idiots do on an engine swap, no matter the brand of the chassis. I hate that to no end.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I though about you while watching this clip all except the part of your dad being like Leno's dad. It starts at 2:30. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVmB6u5BbfA

`76 Trans Ams are my favourite next to the `70 models. They hid the 5 mph bumper a lot better than GM did on my Corvette. I got to drive a brand new `70 when I was 16. White 4 speed with blue guts. My parents both worked at the local GM dealer at the time and they had a Trans Am come in that had some minor paint damage from a car carrier incident. They had a body shop about a half hour away fix it. The salesman asked me if I'd mind driving it there if he picked me up. Took me about a millionth of a second to say yes. I remember him laughing about my enthusiastic response.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I can't get it to play for some reason John. Or more accurately, I get no audio. I really like Jay Leno's Garage on utube. I play his videos to keep me company in the shop. His collection is just plain incredible and the guest vehicles he has on the show are always interesting. He's fond of virtually every type of motorized vehicle. He even likes tractors. IOW.. he gets it.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
No progress on the Splash for the past week or so. I've been doing a lot of work around our 3 acre bird and rabbit sanctuary. Sun up around here is like a bird rock concert. We can barely hear ourselves think if we have the windows open or go outside before it's light out enough for most of the birds to leave for the day and go looking for food. The rabbits are breeding like.. rabbits since I made them a sanctuary (big pile of brush) several years ago. I've been adding to it since then. They have about a 20' x 40' 'briar patch' to live in now and have engineered a maze of paths and tunnels that predators can't get to. My granddaughter and I go back there on our golf cart tours to look for 'Harry Bunny' (kid's show on utube).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Would never do that in a million years. I really really dislike seeing a Chevy engine in another brand of vehicle unless the brand has never offered a V8 for any of their models. Back in the day SBC's were used a lot for swaps and hotrodding because speed parts were readily available for them and regular parts were plentiful and cheap too. That hasn't been the case for the Fords since the Fox body Mustangs with 5.0 engines came along. Plenty of goodies for them. It's their vehicle so it's the owner's choice to drop a SBC in a Ford. Just don't try to tell me there's a good reason to do that now.

OOPS!!!

DSCF1431.jpg [SUB][/SUB]

Runs great! Chevy 350, Balanced and Blueprinted, Holley 650 Double Pumper, Cam, MSD Ignition.

Love it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Leno is talking about when he was 16 and he got to option out his dads new Ford Galaxie and you can probably imagine how it turned out but you really need to listen to Leno to tell the story.He probably has one of the most extensive collections in the world not to mention his shop and equipment.

I can't get it to play for some reason John. Or more accurately, I get no audio. I really like Jay Leno's Garage on utube. I play his videos to keep me company in the shop. His collection is just plain incredible and the guest vehicles he has on the show are always interesting. He's fond of virtually every type of motorized vehicle. He even likes tractors. IOW.. he gets it.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Yeah he's getting old like me and likes to re-tell his best stories. The Galaxy tale is in several of his videos.

Leno is talking about when he was 16 and he got to option out his dads new Ford Galaxie and you can probably imagine how it turned out but you really need to listen to Leno to tell the story.He probably has one of the most extensive collections in the world not to mention his shop and equipment.

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
If I could see in the dark I'd sneak over some night and put a 302 in that `41 :lol:

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
My nephew's ears stuck out so far when he was a kid my dad said he looked like a `41 Ford coming down the road with the doors open. His dad (my brother) was the same as a kid. We used to ride in the back of the family pickup sometimes and if my brother stood up facing the tailgate his ears would flap :lol:

101 - 120 of 161 Posts