Weekend Freedom Machines banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
If I could see in the dark I'd sneak over some night and put a 302 in that `41 :lol:
You are always welcome in Dillsburg (Home of the New Year's Eve Pickle Drop!) Do you think that 302 would get better gas mileage than my current 9.8 mpg with a 3 speed T-350 Tranny and a 4.11 rear?

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
A carb'd 302 wouldn't do any better than that Don. I get about 9-10 mpg (US gallons) with my Corvette with a 300 HP 350, stock carb/intake and 3:55 gears. Used to cost me $20 to take it to work occasionally (60 mile round trip). My `90 5.0 Mustang got 20 mpg on the freeway at 60 mph with 2:73's. It stunk in the quarter mile with those gears though. I'm hoping for around 15 mpg with the Splash and 3:73 gears.

·
Registered
736 Posts
A carb'd 302 wouldn't do any better than that Don. I get about 9-10 mpg (US gallons) with my Corvette with a 300 HP 350, stock carb/intake and 3:55 gears. Used to cost me $20 to take it to work occasionally (60 mile round trip). My `90 5.0 Mustang got 20 mpg on the freeway at 60 mph with 2:73's. It stunk in the quarter mile with those gears though. I'm hoping for around 15 mpg with the Splash and 3:73 gears.
That is acceptable.. have a spare 3:73 rear sitting on a shelf in the barn, but I don't want to swap it for the 4:11, because it is too much fun. It really needs a 700R transmission with overdrive - someday when the Lunch money fund rebuilds itself.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Gonna be a pause with this project while I deal with some other stuff. Life sometimes gets in the way..

·
Registered
736 Posts
Gonna be a pause with this project while I deal with some other stuff. Life sometimes gets in the way..
Yup! Got it... Keep us posted when you are back on the job.
Just remember, we count SPG, Not MPG (Smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon!)

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Almost warm enough to working on this project again in the unheated hoist bay. I wanna get it finished up this summer. Had the 5L engine and auto trans in and out a few times last year. Had to figure out which engine mounts worked the best, how long the driveshaft has to be and which headers to use.

I have four pairs of headers. One set (not in pic) are from the '96 302 V8 Explorer I bought for parts. They're in mint shape. I also have a brand new set from the kit I bought at Summit Racing. The 3rd pair are from my '90 Mustang, which is what the engine is out of. 4th set were in a `70 F100 stepside I had with a 302. They won't actually work without some surgery and probably not even then.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I doctored up this SVT certificate for my previous Splash. Gave it to the guy that bought the truck but I could print another one. That would require changing 347 to 302 and also the VIN but that's really easy.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Guess not. Hope he's good.

The owner is a bodyman and went to a LOT of trouble to make his V8 Ranger look like my '79 Ford Courier, which I still hate. Had the crappy 4 cyl Pinto engine and rusted out so fast it was like one of those time lapse videos.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I'm just about at the point where I have to decide for sure on an EFI motor or a regular carb'd engine. The difference looks like this..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Years ago when I put the 327 in my S15, I went the easy route with the carb. This day and age, I would do the fuel injection. Either using the stock wiring and adapting to factory harness or using a standalone system that easily installs and you bring power, ground and ignition wire to. If motor is from about the same year, and you have the harness and computer, may not be to bad a job to adapt together, especially being same brand.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Simple is good...I'd go the old way if you can find an engine with enough ponies to suit you. But then, I don't like plug-in scanners...handy, but not much fun.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I would do the fuel injection.
My thinking if I go carb is I'm likely not gonna drive it a lot and only in summer conditions so the colder weather drive-ability of an EFI set up isn't as important. My previous V8 Rangers were carb'd. Worked great. I also like the relatively uncluttered look of a carb'd engine. But.. the EFI engine I'm using is out of a '90 Mustang I bought new so there's some nostalgia to sticking with how it was originally equipped. I have everything from an EFI 5.0 that was in a '96 V8 Explorer too so I have two choices for intakes. I have the computers for each engine too. The Explorer version is supposed to be more plug and play for my '96 Splash though (hah! whatever!).

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
These Torq Thrusts are what will be going on the Splash when it's done. They're my favourite wheels by a lot.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Almost time to start working on this again. Gotta get my spring outdoor work done first, then tally ho!

Btw.. tally ho is what I call my wife when she adds up the money I spent on something. I'm not stupid enough to say it out loud though.. :p

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
I'm getting pretty pumped up to work on this after watching some V8 rock bouncer videos. Some chatter about that in the What Did Yo Do In The Shop thread.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
Got started on my Splash again yesterday. I was thinking I'd put new inner fenders on it until I priced them. They're just plastic but still spendy. The original ones were dirty and stone pecked but I used SOS pads and scrubbed them off. I was thinking if they turned out crappy looking I'd shoot them satin black so the Torq Thrust wheels have a decent looking background. But to my surprise they look pretty darn good now. No pics. Sorry. You'll have to imagine some really grungy pieces of black plastic all cleaned up. Today I'm gonna go through everything I know for sure I'm gonna put back on the truck and start prioritising and prepping it.

I'm still(!) flip-flopping on a carb or EFI. I might get the shortblock rebuilt yet. If I go EFI I definitely will. If I go carb'd I'm comfortable rolling the dice on installing the 5.0 the way it sits now. It ran great before I pulled it out of my Mustang. I have reworked GT-40 heads for it but I'm not going for big performance. The stock 225 HP the motor had new would be fine with me. I ran a 14.1 at the drags with it when it was in my '90 Mustang with the stock 2:73 gears. I still have the time slip somewhere. I was thinking it was a 14 flat for a long time till I ran across the slip and saw the 14.1. 3:73's and slicks would have likely got me into the high 13's but I was commuting a fair distance to work so I left the original gears in it. The motor revved about 1700 RPM at 70 mph on the freeway and got pretty good mileage. My criteria for the Splash is simple. I want a V8 sound and look, plus enough wheaties to do a smokey burnout. The first one I do will be in front of my brother's driveway. He loves V8 Rangers too and I plan to retaliate for the F150 horn honking.

I'm still somewhat tentative about the color but I'll likely stick with black. These all look really good to me though. If I did it a color change it would end up JD yellow but I like the green ones too :D

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I think you should do a JD yellow/green fade paint job...start with yellow up front and fade to green by the time you get to the front of the bed/box. Then put a loud musical horn on it, so you can announce your burnout in front of your brother's house/driveway.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
For carb vs EFI, don’t EFI start better in the cold?
And no carb to have gummed up and trouble shooting, granted that may be a small carb problem.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
EFI is infinitely better/more efficient than a carb...starts right up, very little maintenance...but there's something about tuning a carb just the way you like it. I think you need a laptop/special cord/software to fiddle with EFI parameters...way out of my league, but probably not Army's. Keep the eye candy coming sir.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts