Weekend Freedom Machines banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
It's definitely a plus for overall drive-ability but it will only see occasional use so I don't see EFI as a must for the Splash. Would get better mileage but it's not gonna have a lot of miles put on it. Won't be on the road in the winter, or late fall/early spring either, so cold starts won't be a problem. Another factor is I've never been a big fan of the pushrod Ford EFI intakes. They look lopsided to me. Not enough to rule them out but it definitely affects my thinking and there's too much work and cost to the swap to not do it the way I like the most. Plus I have everything I need for EFI so I can always do it later if I want. Likely wouldn't but the next owner might.

I priced the wheels I want at Summit yesterday and the 15x10 Torq Thrusts with grey centers for the back are a 2 month special order now. At least I can still get them and the price isn't too bad. The more common 15x8's for the front are available now. I want deep dish wheels and fat tires and a front to back stance with the back end just a bit higher. Same rake as my 01 Edge in this pic. It was 2WD but had 4x4 suspension and ride height. The Splash models were actually lowered an inch more than a regular Ranger at the factory. Also, the V8 going in it weighs a hundred lbs or so more than the V6 did and that'll drop the front down a bit more. Should end up just about right.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I guess the question is, does the body/cab have the EFI stuff of carb stuff? (Pretty sure it affects dashboard stuff)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
While I was at the Lincoln house recently, dropping my sweet bride's sedan off for service, I wondered around the showroom and eyeballed the new Ranger...all black, shiney, clean-smelling (no dogs allowed I guess) and EXPENSIVE. After the obligatory gabfest with one of the showroom vultures, I discovered it was only $31K and not fully equipped. Didn't tell the young man that I've never paid more than $8K for a new truck or $5K for a good, used one...and that I've bought houses for less than the new Ranger's sticker price. Why am I such a cheap bastid?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Inflation and “premium” (compared to yesteryear) standard features?
I do have an overly optimistic view on many things though...

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
There actually wasn't much integration between the engine computer and the truck itself back then. I've done two Ranger carb conversions from EFI, a '90 and a '96. No issues at all on the '90 and other than a pesky check engine light on the carb'd 347 stroker in the '96 Splash, eliminating the EFI/computer didn't affect it much either. The only other dash issue is the speedometer has to be modified. A bit of guesswork on which little speedo gear to use but simple to do. The other gauges all work fine.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
While I was at the Lincoln house recently, dropping my sweet bride's sedan off for service, I wondered around the showroom and eyeballed the new Ranger...all black, shiney, clean-smelling (no dogs allowed I guess) and EXPENSIVE. After the obligatory gabfest with one of the showroom vultures, I discovered it was only $31K and not fully equipped. Didn't tell the young man that I've never paid more than $8K for a new truck or $5K for a good, used one...and that I've bought houses for less than the new Ranger's sticker price. Why am I such a cheap bastid?
As you guys know the new Rangers are completely different from the 1983 to 2011 models. Other than the name there's no similarities at all really. I'm not keen on the looks of the new ones either, especially for the price.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I was surprised that they brought that badge back...thought they buried it. Sales must be down because they’ve resurrected the Bronco badge too.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I'm not particularly impressed with the new Bronco. Not bashing them. They look pretty good and are apparently well equipped. I just don't see what the hype was all about.

They brought back the 'Challenger' in the early 80's. When I heard about it I went racing to the nearest dealership too see one. Man was I disappointed.

Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 · (Edited)
I found a 302 engine for my Splash way up in Sudbury. I'm planning on using my 90 5.0 engine but I really should rebuild it first. Not cheap these day. Plus I'll have to buy a new carb and intake. The engine in Sudbury was priced at $1,500 and is supposedly ready to drop in and go. Seller says it has about 20K on a rebuild and is a package deal that comes with an engine stand, another intake and carb, and a bunch of misc parts. I dickered him down to $1,000 for just the engine. Still some negatives even at that price. It's a long way to go, I won't be able to hear and see it run and it still has the original exhaust manifolds on it. That bothers me because the last time I removed exhaust manifolds that hadn't been off for a long time was my '90 Mustang engine about 10 years ago and 4 of the bolts broke. So I said screw it and bought a pair of fresh GT-40 heads. I could use them on the Sudbury motor but I want one that's ready to drop in and go. If I have to do much to it I might as well rebuild what I have.

One thing I've noticed about getting older is I'm not as decisive now. I used to make decisions and carry them out fairly quickly but it takes me 15 minutes to decide if I want gravy on my fries now.

Sudbury. Home of a giant asteroid impact and an almost endless supply of nickle. The no freeway route goes through Grant's island which is just like Gilligan's island. No phone, no lights, no motor car, not a single luxury. Like Robinson Crusoe it's primitive as can be. Kidding! (I kid because I care!) Grant actually lives in a beautiful natural area. We should all be so lucky.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Can't delete accidental reply to my own post..

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's definitely a plus for overall drive-ability but it will only see occasional use so I don't see EFI as a must for the Splash. Would get better mileage but it's not gonna have a lot of miles put on it. Won't be on the road in the winter, or late fall/early spring either, so cold starts won't be a problem. Another factor is I've never been a big fan of the pushrod Ford EFI intakes. They look lopsided to me. Not enough to rule them out but it definitely affects my thinking and there's too much work and cost to the swap to not do it the way I like the most. Plus I have everything I need for EFI so I can always do it later if I want. Likely wouldn't but the next owner might.

I priced the wheels I want at Summit yesterday and the 15x10 Torq Thrusts with grey centers for the back are a 2 month special order now. At least I can still get them and the price isn't too bad. The more common 15x8's for the front are available now. I want deep dish wheels and fat tires and a front to back stance with the back end just a bit higher. Same rake as my 01 Edge in this pic. It was 2WD but had 4x4 suspension and ride height. The Splash models were actually lowered an inch more than a regular Ranger at the factory. Also, the V8 going in it weighs a hundred lbs or so more than the V6 did and that'll drop the front down a bit more. Should end up just about right.
View attachment 266408
Have you ever used TireRack for wheel tire combos? The last two wagons I put custom wheels and tires on came from them. Pick your wheel, pick your tire, and they'll ship 'em to you mounted and balanced. They can size stuff off of their "what's guaranteed to fit" sizes, or, if you know your backspacing and clearances, you can go ale carte (sp?). Photo of last wagon for reference...

20180715_180912.jpg

Took me a minute to figure my clearances for this one, as they didn't list any 16" wheels that would fit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Buick. It's moved on to a new owner now. It was a very clean low mileage example. Interior looked like it had never been sat in.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 · (Edited)
Have you ever used TireRack for wheel tire combos? The last two wagons I put custom wheels and tires on came from them. Pick your wheel, pick your tire, and they'll ship 'em to you mounted and balanced. They can size stuff off of their "what's guaranteed to fit" sizes, or, if you know your backspacing and clearances, you can go ale carte (sp?). Photo of last wagon for reference...
Took me a minute to figure my clearances for this one, as they didn't list any 16" wheels that would fit.
I'm in Ontario so tires are something I try to buy locally to avoid shipping and import duties. My brother has those wheels on his '05 Mustang GT. Looks pretty good! I'm a diehard 15" deep dish wheel lover but they can't even be installed on many newer vehicles because of the brake parts being too big.

I did a 'test fit' of some wheels for my F150 using photoshop.

Before..

After..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, shipping tends to make a lot of deals less of a deal. That site used to provide a pic of whatever vehicle you chose, and would automatically put the wheels you selected on it. Was kinda neat for a while. I think they only do it for newer cars/trucks now.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
I have made zero progress on this project. Too hot and humid. The time I have spent away from the central air has been used up mowing and doing some work to the 420/deck I use. We've had some nice days but it seems like it's out of the freezer and into the oven every year now.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
I see Summit has free shipping to Canada now with orders over $250. The border crossing seems to go better with them too. The currency exchange is a killer though. About 30% so if I buy something for a grand US it costs me $1,300 CDN.

Yeah, shipping tends to make a lot of deals less of a deal. That site used to provide a pic of whatever vehicle you chose, and would automatically put the wheels you selected on it. Was kinda neat for a while. I think they only do it for newer cars/trucks now.

·
Registered
1989 318
857 Posts
Mr. Army, how about a sexy mechanical injection system for you project?

Reactions: In The Weeds

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I am accepting donations Tom! :D

141 - 160 of 161 Posts