Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scraped some crud off that transaxle. It's a Peerless model 2234 and I found the gear lube level plug on the back. I can smell the stale gear lube from the outside so it has to be pretty rank in there. I got one hub off and am working on the other. PO put a black JD 200-series shifter on it. There does not appear to have been any paint on the transaxle. Any idea what it might have come from?

I will be looking for a good pair of JD axles for it if the inside looks as good as it sounds.

There are no seals on the outboard axle bearings. Seems odd ... well, ok it is odd all over.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Hey Guys, I need help with my 425. After about an hour of cutting yesterday I saw the fuel gauge was in the red. Pulled into the garage and filled it up (with new gas). Started up fine but about 5 minutes later it started to bog like it was running out of fuel. I shut it down and checked fluid levels and for anything visually wrong, no problems. It started fine again and ran for probably 20 min before it happened again. It doesn't stall it just bogs out like its going to for a bit then comes back to normal. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes for it to happen, sometimes 20 or more. I do notice a if I push the governer linkage it speeds up to normal again, also there is a tiny bit of oil coming around the base of the governer shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Don

P.S. I changed the fuel filter, and plugs with no change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If no smoke then it could be leaning out or basically running out of gas. Check the float setting. When I was working on my issue, when I had the float set so that there was less gas in the bowl, it would bog down and run out of gas. It might happen 5 minutes in or 20 minutes in just depends if I was on a hill causing the engine to work harder or on flat ground.

Barry

·
Banned
2 Posts
I plan on buying 1994 model 425 garden tractor, with 1500 hours. It looks well taken care of. Any thing I should watch out for.
Did this model have a plastic cam problem?
Any help would be appreciated. Bob

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Robert,
Welcome to wfm. A 1994 425 would have came out of the factory with the plastic cam gear. With those hours, it may have already been replaced with the steel cam gear.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Bob, the problem seems to have fixed itself. It hasn't happened again in the last 3 hours of running. I assume that after running the tank so low it may have picked up something off the bottom of the tank and it cleared on it's own. I hope it's gone for good anyway!!
Thanks for the reply,
Donny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.