Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing came along with a auction bid that I won. It appears home made. It looks like some sort of run out gauge but beyond that I haven't got a clue.

The pointer appears to be made from two primary parts, the small blade of a pen knife and the spring and cam follower off a set of points. It rotates very easy so I don't know what the bushing or bearing is. That vertical pipe has a 1" ID and is blind bolted to the base. It's very solidly mounted too. The adjustment bolt in back? I have no idea what's for. The holes are all flame cut, there's no reference points under the pointer tip and there's nothing for a shaft to reference off of inside that hole other than the bolt face. What I do know is that the estate owner that it came from was into building/rebuilding pressure washers with WAG and other kinds of pumps.
KIMG1285.JPG KIMG1284.JPG

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Thinking...may incorrectly, but!... possibly some centrical pumps have a housing without a register diameter. This may sit in housing, pipe slipped over center shaft and rotated. Adjusting screw lines housing up to get 0 runout and housing gets bolted in that position ????? Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think youre on the right track on a runout guage of sorts Randy. Being a machinist I'm thinking it is a very crude engine output shaft straighener. This gets bolted onto the output side of the motor, (hence different bolt patterns) the big bolt is to "bend" the shaft and the needle simply to show the runout. Especially if he was out in the feild doing on site service. Very crude needle but maybe that's all he needed if it was a pully and belt drive. Necessity is the mother of invention! Either that or it's one of those special do-hickey-thingamagiggers for fixing gigits!! Lol

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't figure it out. But these two theory's make sense. I've never had to do that so no life experience. Anyone want it? Free, Pay shipping. Just scrap pile stuff for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry but I do think you have a new addition to the 'ol scrap pile there. Looks pretty specific for whatever purpose it was made for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts