I am restoring on a 240 I recently bought for a good price that needs some work. The deck is just about shot, it needs paint, and it has no brakes. So while I was waiting for paint to dry, I thought I would tare into the brakes. I took the cover off of the brake assembly and noticed I had plenty of pad left. The pedal goes down all the way and the linkage hits something to prevent the pedal from going down any further. So I took the linkage off and drilled a hole in it farther foreward on the linkage, so the pedal pulls farther. Now I have brakes! I have herd of this problem on the internet along with my issue. I hope this thread helps others with this problem. Plus you don't need to spend $100 on new pads that you dont need.